Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded, what is this feeling?

I keep getting a feeling in my chest like a squeeze then I usually burp. I'm so scared I'm doing something wrong to my band. It feels like a big gas bubble is coming up in the middle of my chest but it only results in a small burp if any at all. It usually starts on the right side of my body and moves to the middle of my chest. I am sipping but and it's not only happening when I drink.

Is this just gas or is something worng? I've been banded since wednesday.

I was banded Thursday and I'm feeling the same thing. I feel very bloated. I think what were feeling is just gas. I've been chewing a lot of Gas X tablets and they seem to be helping.

Waynette

Hi. I was banded yesterday and have the same thing. I have tried the Gas X also without much relief. I was belching a little earlier and

it may have eased up a little.

I promise you two ladies that the best thing you can do for the gas is to walk as much as possible. I never took anything for the gas at all and the walking seemed to keep it bearable. I even had to get up in the night and walk if I felt the pain from the gas coming back. Good luck to both of you.

I was banded on Tuesday and had the same experience...still do a little, but I agree, walking helped better than any amount of gas x. Everytime I felt that way, I would walked until I belched like a man...lol. Than all was better...good luck!!!

Hi all!

I was banded Monday and still feel bloated and have lots of gas.. I was really dehydrated and was given 12 bags of intravenious saline! My blood presure was really low and my one of my stiches popped and had to be stiched by hand. I have had a slow recovery didn't even get to get up until Tues. Today I am finally back able to sit up and communicate with my fellow lap-banders. I still can't bend but the pain is bearable so I stopped the pain-killers. I am starting to think that I am HUNGRY and that is scary. What are you guys having as a post-op diet? I can still only have liquids for two weeks.

I only had to do Clear Liquids for 2 days, now I am on Full liquids for 1 week--like creamy Soup, yogurt....thats what I been eating most. I can't even finish a whole yogurt...that is CRAZY!!! LOL I like it though...After Tuesday I can start pureed---ughhhh

u know it is gas... the gas-x didn't work for me either.. i tried the strips and the chewables... it felt really bad.. one thing that did work was for me to walk around and to get a vibrating back massager and to lay on it and that will bring the gas up....along with drinking fluids...

Well i had my surgery on Thursday (7/10) and i'm experiencing the same feeling. When i feel it coming on i get up and walk around the house. I swear i have burped more in the last 3 days than i have my whole life. I will be glad when i get over the bloated feeling cause that seems to be the only thing making me feel off. They have me on a liquid diet for 10 days and i'm still trying to find a workable option on the protien shakes. The brand the dr's office carries makes me sick to my stomach so that won't work. Right now just doing broth's and sugar free Jello with a little yogurt thrown in. Does anyone have an suggestions for the protien shake? Atkins doesn't taste all that great but so far the best i've found and it doesn't mess with my tummy like the protien powder does.

I had that too for the first week or two after surgery (just banded June 11th). Then, mine went away for several weeks. However, I started solid foods last week (week 5 post-op) and it has returned. That squeezing/dull pain in the chest eventually resulting in long, unladylike belches that help relieve it. Sometimes it's hard to burp and get it out though and it just hurts.

I was banded on Thursday and have that same feeling. But I can't burp :biggrin: I was a champion burper before and I WISH I could get some of the gas out now...

I was equally alarmed by that sensation when I was newly banded. It does go away, don't worry. What they often don't tell you is that it moves from the chest into the shoulders (with some of us) and that will reappear once in awhile for years to come. I have been banded for 11 months and still get it once in awhile. My fill nurse has been banded 3 years and she tells me she still gets it in her chest and shoulders once in awhile. It becomes tolerable as you heal, and I find that a heat bag helps my shoulder now when it happens. Back at that stage, walking around and moving your arms around helped most - even now, when I get it in my shoulder I just roll my arm around about 50 times and apply heat. Good luck!