Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swelling after surgery

Tomorrow I will be 14 days post-op - my stomach is sticking out like I am pregnant -very distended and swollen - is this still Fluid from the surgery or am I not drinking enough Water? I feel so awful - my shirts are so tight across my stomach even more than before. I realize only 14 days have gone by but I thought I would be looker thinner not heavier by now. Any suggestions you can give me would be much appreciated. I am very down right now.

I had the same problem and I think I've seen other posts about it too. I heard that it can take about a month for the swelling to go down. Now that I think about it, I never really noticed when mine finally went down.... but it did! Hang in there, it will get better soon.

I am eight day post op and have epxerienced the same problem. My stomach is sticking out so far that I cannot button my shorts/pants. I had to buy expandable elastic shorts from Wal Mart so my incisions would not be irritated. I cannot wait until my stomach is back to normal (and smaller). My doctor told me today it could take up to six weeks to be completly back to normal.

Thank you for this. I was actually not sure what was going on but I think this is my situation now too. I am 15 days post-op and my pants seem tight around the waist which I have been really puzzled about. I am losing a bit of weight so I could not understand why they were so tight. I thought maybe I was just being overly sensitive due to the surgery and they had always been this tight but I don't really think so. Glad to hear it will pass soon.

Thank you Thank you - I was very down and depressed today thinking I was the only one because I have posted for a week or so and got no similar responses. This makes me feel better.

Tomorrow I will be 14 days post-op - my stomach is sticking out like I am pregnant -very distended and swollen - is this still Fluid from the surgery or am I not drinking enough Water? I feel so awful - my shirts are so tight across my stomach even more than before. I realize only 14 days have gone by but I thought I would be looker thinner not heavier by now. Any suggestions you can give me would be much appreciated. I am very down right now.

Well the same thing happened to me... and I was actually getting upset.. I didn't know what was going on... but i realized that i was bloated... and I started taking my Fiber pills and things got soooo much better... Now i have more of a issue with my hips and thighs so when my stomach was bloated i was actually pissed off becasue it seemed like it was going against what i was trying to do.. but the Fiber did work for me.... hopefully u can figure out what it is and get things movin...lol:shades_smile:

Thanks - I am going to go drink some Citracel - maybe that will help. did have some severe stomach gas pains tonight that I haven't had before today so that may be part of the problem. I think I thought I would be way further along on my weight loss and I look like I have gained 10 lbs not lost. I am eating liquids and mushy foods and nothing bad - living on Cream of Wheat so it doesn't make sense that I wouldn't have lost something by now but I guess I have so much Fluid retention due to the surgery. It is very depressing.

Yes it is... because the scale wasent moving for me either, but once i did that I noticed that i was having movements like 3-4 times a day and i was eating the mushies also.. and i was really shocked... but i only weigh in once a month due to the pre menst.thing and the Water weight gain and crap like that so monday will be my weigh n day and I know it has moved...lol.. I have more inches coming off and it really feels good... but things will move for u soon trust me.. and when u drink the fiber stuff do that for about a week and see if things get back to normal..

Hi There!

I am 24 days post op and still a bit bloated too. For the first week or 10 days I could barely get my regular clothes buttoned either, so I think it's just from the trauma of the surgery and that blasted CO2 that they pumped us up with! I've only lost about 9-10 pounds and can feel it, but my stomach being bloated kind of makes it feel irrelevant!! Bummer!! I haven't really been able to exercise much yet, but I think that will help with the bloat, I seem to be retaining a lot of Fluid even though I am getting all my Water in! Good luck to you and to us all!!

Darie

Bluefish62

San Antonio, Tx

banded 6/16/08

I am four days post op and I look like I am pregnant as well. This is the worst part for me. I have not had a bowel movement yet so maybe that is the problem. Since I am still on liquids, do you think Fiber One Yogurt is ok? That worked wonders for me in the past.

sorry to be gross, I used Fiber one yogurt and south beach Protein Water with fiber. Result has been several episodes of loose bowels. I haven't seen anyone else talk about this. I am two days post op.

I also look and feel 9 months pregnant and have gained 5 lbs since the surgery, just on full liquid diet.

I'm 8 days post op and so bloated I can't wear hardly anything. I really do look pregnant. It's awful. I'm having some really small movements but wonder if some fiber would help. I am losing weight now though.

I'm also more sore than I had anticipated. Especially my biggest incision. I mean, it's not horrible, but I can definitely tell I had surgery there. Is anybody else still sore?

Thank you soooo much for this thread!!! I've been dealing with the same issue. I've been wearing nothing but pj's, loose sweat pants and lounge around pants. I haven't gone many places, so no biggie. But I tried on some jeans that fit before surgery and I couldn't even get them buttoned. :wink2:Got a little frustrated, but I figured it was just bloating. I guess I'll try the fiber tabs or fiber bars.

I've said this before - this website is such a Godsend! I love all the encouragement and support! Thank you everyone!:lol: