Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone watch 60 minutes last week?

With the story about Judy Nunn's husband? I dunno about others but that entire thing just annoyed the heck out of me, every single bit about it, the way the story was portrayed to me was basically that if you have type 2 diabetes it's nothing to be worried about because you can loose the weight if you gain it with the lap band, overall the thing that came across more is this "If you put on weight and get type 2 diabetes you can have wls to loose the weight" and it was just ridiculous, another thing that annoyed me is that her husband went in and then came out without diabetes - what a load of crap - you don't just go in and hey presto you don't have diabetes, the more weight you loose the less the risk and then it can be reversed, not just by having a surgery. Also another thing that annoyed me last night was the mail bag thing, I always knew weight loss surgery would have its doubters and what not and that just proved it, I think that overall the world is made up of 90% of people that have never known a bigger person or whatever and are down right against any wls. They think oh yeah your fat why don't you just eat less and excercise more, that is the constant that I'm always coming across - it's not that simple. Also there was a story on I think a current affair about 2 weeks ago about the girl that was thinking about lap banding at 14 and then decided to get it at 16 what did anyone think of that? I was pretty horrified, the girl was saying "oh yeah I've done this diet and this and this" but at 16 you lie - and for her I know if I was her and wanted the surgery more than anything of course I'm going to lie and say I've done every diet under the sun, the fact that her mother was encouraging her was pretty stupid as well, yes fair enough she is supporting her but the fact that she hasn't done anything else other than this to help is stupid. Soooo what's everyones thoughts on it?

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=587150

That's the story

Edited by Sarah.R

The story didnt bother me as much as the mailbag letter they read out last night, cant remember the exact words but it was something like fat slobs should just exercise and stop eating rubbish. They didnt even read another one that completely opposed that view. :rolleyes::thumbup::biggrin:

I know, usually they have 2 comments, one good one bad and all they did was post that one from a guy that was bigger people should eat less and excercise more, I was definetly annoyed as well when I saw that mainly because I'm not your average big person I mean sure I eat out every one in a while but overall I prefer vegetables and salads for dinner - I always have, I've just grown up eating veges so I'm used to it now - usually my plate at the dinner table is filled with vegetables like zucchini, broccolli, cauliflower, squash, Beans, carrots so much that I can't even get meat on the plate and we use bread and butter plates - so basically a sandwich fits on there and thats it. Then there are others that do eat fast food all the time, I was definetly annoyed with the mailbag - maybe they'll rectify the situation eventually or at least post some more pros

I watched it online after Jachut mentioned it in another thread. I wasn't that bothered about it. I think that it was definitely directed towards the "curing diabetes" side of things, but thats a journalist's perogative to write it from that perspective, really, because the band DOES do that for some people.

Like Nat I was more pi$$ed at the ignorant buffoon that wrote the letter that was read last night - that fat people should eat less and exercise more. What a moron! They would have offended an increasing percentage of the population with that comment. Fattism is as rampant as ever.....but at least we're doing something about it, if you're an idiot, theres not much you can do about that is there? lol.

Fattism is as rampant as ever.....but at least we're doing something about it, if you're an idiot, theres not much you can do about that is there? lol.

I agree 100%, there are some absolute morons out there ... and to be honest some of them are as slim as they think they are!

But I can't agree more, we can lose weight, but these poor sods are stuck with their moronic thoughts and narrow minds.

I don't think the word "curing" is right .... will always be diabetic, but there is no doubt tht the surgery helps keep blood sugar normal. Mine was in normal range for first time EVER the day after I came out of hospital, and has stayed in normal range ever since.