Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pedometer- beginning steps?

Ok, I know this is starting really slowly, but besides doing a few activities with my daughter, I want to add meeting a step goal every day. Basically to see how much more I should add.

What is a good beginning goal for number of steps a day? I don't have any idea what is average or low or anything.

Thanx!

My average steps per day...not working out...just walking at work and with my son is between 6,000 and 8,000 a day. It never goes lower than 6,000 but often goes up to about 10,000 steps a day.

It's a good question...I am wondering what a work out in steps would look like in numbers.

I know that the goal they tell people to set is for 10,000 steps a day. That's a lot. Should You Walk 10,000 Steps Per Day for Fitness and Weight Loss?

My recommendation is to wear your pedometer for a few days and see how many steps you are doing now, then slowly work your way up.

The goal for the minimum for reasonable health is 10,000 steps per day.

Its not as hard as it sounds, plenty of people already get that, I know I do without exercising - just by walking round, doing housework, going to the supermarket, to uni, the kids' basketball and the endless back and forth to the washing machine.

However, whilst 10,000 is an awesome goal to have if you're really sedentary, its not a huge amount of exercise and if do already do close to that in an average non exercise day, then you cant afford to rest on it if you know what I mean. If you're body's used to that and you eat to fuel it, you'll need to do more to lose.

Also, you can do 10,000 steps without raising your heart rate above 100 as well, and really, ideally you need some harder work to lose weight.

Personally, I think that a great way to work that program would be to aim to get 10,000 steps a day in your daily life, and then have a reasonable workout on top of it. That way you're addressing both sides of the coin, that everyday incidental activity - which is what really makes a difference between whether someone struggles with their weight or not - and your fitness activities - which is what builds muscle and cardio ability and really makes the difference between just managing your weight and really losing.

I guess its really just the opposite way of saying there's no point doing a really hard workout and then sitting down on your butt for the rest of the day. Pedometers are a fabulous way of making sure that doesnt happen.

Edited by Jachut

I did say I was starting slowly. I do want to gradually increase, but was just looking at what the average was, so that I could make a beginner goal.

I was bike riding with my daughter most days, but now the temperatures are over 110, even after dark. You don't see too many people outside around here, even the Marines don't do much PT (physical training) this time of year.

Yep, then as a start, the program is "10000 steps" and if you google it you'll get lots of hits. Its a fantastic place to start.

2000 steps is a mile