Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS and the band? Thinking about it and looking for advice from fellow cysters

Hey. I have PCOS and have struggled with weight issues since puberty. I have also struggled with infertility since I started trying about 7 years ago. I wondered if any of you bandsters are also cysters and do you have any words of advice or wisdom. Any stories would be appreciated either ugly or pretty...I want the straight, honest truth.

I haven't been able to take off more than 5lbs in the last six years...and I took off 23lbs. in five weeks with the band. I feel so much better...and my endocrinologist approved of my band choice.

Well, I also have PCOS it runs in every woman on each side of my family... ironically, I was the first to be diagnosed now all my aunts and mother have been diagnosed...I have been able to lose between 57 and 58 lbs since my surgery date march 18, 2008...the band has really been a life saver...alot of my symptons from PCOS seem to be either going away or relieving somewhat, I know that the more I lose the better off I will be... and hope to have children in the near future...

Good luck to you!

I was diagnosed with PCOS last year, I am taking Actos and back on the 'ol pill,(which is ironic since I have been tubal ligated,)the meds relieve it somewhat, but i feel that the weight is more to blame for my symptoms now. I don't have menstration without the Actos now. I know it is due to my obesity, never had a problem with this before my weight gain. I quit smoking two years ago, I gained most of my weight since then.

Bottom line for me, weight loss will help me tremendously.:blink:

I have had PCOS for about 4 years now and have had non exsistent menstrual cycles. I was banded on May 28th and lost 17 pounds. I did lose 13 in the month before then, but I was also on a liquid diet. The funny thing is now, I can't get rid of my period. I have been on it for 3 weeks due to the fast weight loss. Good luck in research on getting the lap band. I can tell you that it is the best thing that I have done. Also, my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 years with no success. I go next week to get my bloodwork done. PM me if you have any questions.

I was banded May 30th so far I have lost 22 pounds. My period came about a week or two post-op and ovulation signs tell me that I am already back on a 28-day cycle!!

Hi Aivey,

I have severe PCOS (my gyno described it as "the worst I've seen in 25 years of practice"). I was also worried that I wouldn't lose weight with the band. Since I was diagnosed at 15, my weight has steadily climbed from 62kg (135lbs) to a top of 100kg (220lbs), when I went in for surgery. My gyno was fully in support of the surgery and told me that any weight loss was a major win for further controlling my symptoms.

As you can see from my ticker, I'm 3.5 months out from surgery and have lost 18kg (40lbs). I never thought I could lose weight like this. The band has been my saviour, and while it hasn't been a smooth and easy ride, it is easily the best decision I have ever made for myself.

I would unashamedly recommend it, for ALMOST everyone. I say almost, because you need to be committed to following the band rules or you can easily sabotage yourself and not lose weight -- for example, if you just eat "slider" foods like ice-cream and cake which just "slide" right through the band. But if you can follow the rules, then no matter how messed up your hormones are, you CAN lose weight.

Good luck in your decision, it is never easy! PM me if you want to chat.

Annie :thumbup:

Essentially, everyone has said what I would say so I thought of skipping this thread, but I also know that it helps to hear from others.

In addition to "ditto" covering most of it, let me just say that PCOS (and with it, insulin resistance, fertility issues, etc.) and weight gain/obesity are conspiring bedfellows. PCOS issues will make you gain weight, weight gain will exacerbate PCOS issues. It's a vicious cycle - one I hope to break with my weight loss.

My periods are so few and far between (my friend Charlie calls it "natural seasonale") that I sometimes forget women have to deal with that every month.

The good news: Now that almost 40 lbs are gone in 5 weeks or so... I have a period! Also, my blood sugars are completely normal... without Actos, without anything but the band supporting my new eating habits and exercise routines. My A1C was 5.9 pre-band, borderline diabetic. I went through months of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia waves.

5 weeks, no more.

The band is the best thing I did for my PCOS and related issues... even if the weight loss is first and foremost, the results and affects on other issues is reason enough.

Edited by FeliciaLevy75
spelling errors

I was told with my weight before surgery that I would never have another child. My husband and I tried for 5 years with no results but after the surgery and loosing just a little bit of weight it helped my hormones and my PCOS and I got pregnant! I had Scarlett Isabella on Sept 27th 2007!!!!!!!!

THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE!

I too have PCOS and have struggled with infertility for years. My daughter is a clomid baby, she's 6 and we have been trying to get pregnant again since she was 1. I just had my last cycle and now I am on to get my Lapband. I KNOW loosing weight helps with infertility. I had gotten down 50lbs last year and my cycles were at 32 day then (which is unheard of for me). Now I have gained all my weight back. :tt1: My doc even told me yesterday that my symptoms will disappear as I loose the weight. I can't wait to get to my goal and for my dh to get home from Iraq (he's deploying AGAIN in Jan) so we can try to get pregnant and not use infertility drugs anymore. :tt1:

way off topic, but my wife has pcos as well, and she has a horrible chronic back back that seems related to her siatic (sp?) nerve, dr.'s relate that to her pcos though, anyone else familiar with this? also, anyone find something that helps, she will go days or weeks just fine, and then BANG she is on the heating pad for 2 days. she is 28 yrs old and like 180 lbs...

I am so glad that you asked this question. I was just diagnosed with PCOS and that was one of the reasons I decided to go ahead with the band. I am still waiting for insurance approval, but I hope to have some relief from my symptoms. The thought of taking BC pills forever after having a tubal is driving me nuts!

I've had PCOS since the age of 12, so 34 years. Back in my 20's I lost 50 pounds, on a low fat diet, and my PCOS symptoms did not change. So just losing the weight may not help. I gained all of that weight back plus some. Then in my late 30's went on a low carb diet droped 30 pounds and 90% of my PCOS symptoms went away. I fell off of that wagon regained all of that weight plus some. I got the band a year ago and have lost 60 pounds. It is a much slower loss for us PCOS'ers but it does come off. Because of the band the diet we follow is a low carb diet. My belief is low carb is the answer to helping with PCOS. I have no problem losing weight I have a problem with not regaining. That is why I got banded, with the hope that it will keep me on track and not regain. I still have 20 pounds to lose to be at my goal. But I have my period right on time every month, I no longer have Migraines. I still have the mood swings and depression but the duration time is shorter and I have had no relieve from the facial hair.

The band is a tool not a cure. Just like any weight loss decission you make you have to be right in the head and ready to do it.

Good Luck,

Rebecca