Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crunches!!!

After several months of LOTS of cardio workouts, I decided that strength training was LONG overdue. I know that you get sore afterwards, I was an athlete in high school and still remember what the first few weeks of conditioning felt like, but I swear it felt like something was TEARING in my stomach close to my port the next day. I imagine that it's because there's something in there now, literally poking at a very sore muscle, but now I'm worried.

It got me thinking - SHOULD we be doing lots of crunches? I mean, if you build those muscles up, where's the port going to go? Would it make it more noticable? I know exactly how retarded that sounds, lol, especially coming from a girl who spent over a year researching this surgery before deciding. And it still amazes me the things I never thought of!

ANYWAY, is it okay to do crunches?

Karleen

I work out 5 days a week and do crunches or some sort of ab work in every workout and have not had any port problems. If you felt something tearing in your stomach I would say go visit your doctor to have him check it out. Better safe then sorry. Some people have said that there port is noticable after a bit of weight loss but so far I have not seen or felt mine. the only time while working out the I feel anything is when im doing an exercise laying on my stomach on one of those big blown up balls. and I dont feel pain just have to shift to the side so im not directly on my port or where I think my port is.

check with your doc just to be sure everything is ok

Thanks! It's been a few weeks and after few days everything felt fine again, but it really worried me so I just hadn't tried again. But maybe I just need to ease into it a little slower for my own peace of mind! Phenominal weight loss by the way!

thanks!! get back into it but take it one step at a time and if anything else feels wrong definitely see your doc. Good luck!

Hi guys I got a question --anyone having pain the area of the port or sharp and burning pain off and on :thumbup:. It doesnt last but it feels weird. I was banded June 4th and I have lost 32lbs total so far. I do cardio and weights at least 5 times a week I want to do crunches but they hurt that area. I can also feel the port more now than before if i touch the area.great I am a Pescatarian -( vegatarian that eats fish) and all is wellwith that change. Ive had 1 fill and feel no restriction though due for another this month . My ankles still swell alot but my high BP is gone and Stress Incontience is so much better hoping that will go away too. Hey , I even take less allergy meds-WOW. :thumbup:I wonder when i will feel that "good' restriction ...:confused2: Any feed back will be great everybody hang in there we are gonna get there.