Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am feeling very discouraged these days. I had my first fill 3 weeks ago and have only lost 2 pounds. All together 22 pounds. Most foods I can't eat much at all but alot of things like crunchy things gone down with feeling no restriction all. I'm having a problem finding a fill dr. that wont charge me an arm and a leg. I talked to one today and she said $2,000 for the first year of fills! and she asked me how much I paid in Mexico and I told her and she said I could of had it done here for $2,000-$3,000 more then that! I was like great! I feel like I'm never gonna loose this weight. I've waited my whole life to get this done and now I feel like it's not working. Any words of advice?

Thanks, Ali

Guest jengig

Hi! Don't feel bad! I was banded in Dec. 03 and haven't gotten it right until just this last month. I was filled 2 times. The second time I kinda gave up because I couldn't afford to go (I thought it was almost 400.00 per fill). So, finally in March I called and got in and they filled me from 2.2cc to 3.1 and I am just right. Since March 31 I have lost 21 pounds. I'm finally getting results. Oh, by the way, I was wrong about the fill cost, it was 150.00.

Jennifer

Hi Scotty,

Sorry your so discouraged. Who was your doctor in Mexico? What state do you live in? Maybe others here live in your state and know other fill doctors. What is your fill level at now? I have only had 2 smallish fills (I'm at 1.2 cc's total) and have done pretty well. Your right, crunchy things goe down easily as well as chocolatey things and Cookies. I just have to limit myself on those types of items. I allow myself 1 regular size candy bar a day (I ussually save it for my dessert) and if I have chips they must at least be the light variety. I also love sour cream on everything and for some reason never bothered with the non-fat or light varieties. Now that is all I buy. I don't want to waste precious calories on Condiments for crying out loud! The non fat variety mixed with a little ranch mix with baby carrots is yummy! I realized pretty shortly about all the wrong foods having an easy ability of going down and I tried to substitute as many of them as possible with better choices. What are you eating anyway? You must get Protein in first, then veggies and lastly carbs... I try to do that strictly all day and allow myself that one treat later. Find healthy foods that go down easier. I found a fabulous italian chicken stew (mama leone's chicken soup) recipe that is thick but goes down easily. I make chicken salad all the time with celery, green onions, olives, shredded cheese, etc on a few saltines. Those were one of my first solid foods allowed and they ussually go down good and satiate me. Same with tuna salad, etc. Moisture peices of chicken work better than the drier sections. Tough beef and dry pork also don't work too well but moist roasts and well marinated meats ussually work okay. Hope these might be some ideas anyway. Don't give up but just look for new options. Best wishes, Teresa

Hi, thanks for the tips! My dr. was Dr. De la Garza. He was very nice, and so was everyone else in Mexico. The only thing that I was not happy with was, when I was first looking into getting this done the girl that was answering all my questions, I asked her how many fills would I need and she said 2-3 fills for life. I didn't know any better so I believed her and now I hear that it's 4-6 the first year! It's also my fault for not looking into it myself. I had a fill 4 weeks ago and I feel like I can eat anything I want again this past week. I just hope that I can get this right soon. If I would have known all this hassle with all these fills and the price these fill dr.s want for mexico patients, I probably should have had it done here in Ohio. I just feel bad because I thought I'd have alot of weight off by now.

Hi scottygyrl, I know where you are coming from. I have not had a lot of luck myself. I have a great Dr but I'm not so hot at being compliant. I had my third fill yesterday but hadn't been in to see him since January and I had gained back almost all of what I had lost initially after the surgery. Simply because I had no problems eating almost anything and I have no self control. Besides, I don't eat because I'm hungry, I eat because I'm happy, sad, bored, awake... I have been really good about staying away from some things but not so hot about others. I have never really felt all that limited in what I could eat. I'm hoping that will change with this last fill. I now have almost 2.5cc in. I'm sorry you are having problems with finding a local fill dr. I am told that my Doc won't take any Mexico patients on, probably due to liability reasons. Like you, I have waited all my life for this opportunity and I am really down due to my lack of strength. Have you thought about substituting Protein Shakes for one or two meals a day? Some yogurt, frozen fruit, ice and Protein Powder in a blender makes for a pretty tasty and filling drink. Good luck to you and I wish you only the best. CathyRN

Hi Cathy, I've thought of doing shakes also, but I didn't put my self in all this debt to have to drink shakes instead of food, I could have done that on my own. I feel this band will work, as soon as I get it right. I have a consult appt with a fill dr. 2.5 hrs away. Its gonna cost me a bit but it's cheaper then hopping back on a plane to Mexico everytime I get hungry. Hopefully after my next fillwill see a difference. I am also gonna start exercising more, that should help.

Today is the first day since my surgery that I feel really hungry. I don't want to overeat. I am beginning mushies but can't seem to get a full enough feeling. Is there a mushie food that keeps you satisified longer? HELP!

Guest chloe

hi evryone it is really intresting to read your comments,myname is chloe and i'm based in london england. i had my band fitted on feb 23, have lost 26lbs and going for my first fill on may the 18th.its so reassuring read that i'm not on my own making mistakes . i too am surprised at the quantity i have been able too eat over the past 3 weeks.i also feel old habits creeping in.how many fills do some people have.

Guest j. lynn

I am feeling very discouraged these days. I had my first fill 3 weeks ago and have only lost 2 pounds. All together 22 pounds. Most foods I can't eat much at all but alot of things like crunchy things gone down with feeling no restriction all. I'm having a problem finding a fill dr. that wont charge me an arm and a leg. I talked to one today and she said $2,000 for the first year of fills! and she asked me how much I paid in Mexico and I told her and she said I could of had it done here for $2,000-$3,000 more then that! I was like great! I feel like I'm never gonna loose this weight. I've waited my whole life to get this done and now I feel like it's not working. Any words of advice?

Thanks, Ali

how much are you eating? You say not much, but is that compared to pre-op? You should be able to eat 2-3 ounces of Protein, 1/4-1/2 cup of veggies at a meal and feel full. Remember, full now means NOT HUNGRY--not Thanksgiving day stuffed. You should feel "full" for 3-4 hours after eating.

You might need another fill if you aren't tight enough. But you might be tight enough, but getting in too many calories or too few calories or not enough Protein or not enough Water. How's the exercise?

You lose weight when calories in is less than calories out. The band helps us to limit our calories in, but it's up to us to manage the equation.

jayme

I am so glad I found this site! I am in Australia and had my op April 6. I have had one adjustment but I can feel no difference at all. I'm still able to eat the same amount that I ate pre op and still get hungry between meals. I've only lost about 18 pounds and I'm starting to feel very depressed that I went through all of this and spent all this money and nothing is happening. I am getting married in August and had set myself a goal for the wedding but now it seems I'll never get there. I think I had unrealistic expectations perhaps and the information given to me lead me to believe I would be losing weight continually, but I'm not losing anything at all at the moment. Does anyone have any good advice?

Not me

I had my done 3 months, only lost 4 pound at the moment.

(I lost 41 pounds pre op diet)

My first fill made NO difference (had fill 1 month ago)

I think its all about the fill at this point.

If your filled right, you should be fine and lose weight!

When I look back on the first six months of banded life, I remember being GLAD about the slow onset of restriction. It's totally unrealistic to think that we can change our habits overnight with nothing but the knowledge there's a band inside to help us! If you're not feeling restriction, there is no point in beating yourself up about not being satisfied on the tiny amounts you've heard other people talk about.

Finding the right fill is a process. Talk to your doctors! When you get to the point that three bites is your entire meal, you'll be glad you had this interim time to accept that 15 bites is a meal. Pre-op your meals were probably 50-75 bites! It's not easy being faced with a plateful of food you are physically incapable of eating, so don't rush the experience.

Think of it as going down a ladder. You're eating less than you were pre-op, somewhere near the top of the ladder. As you descend a little more with each adjustment, there's time to accept the changes you're making. Then with the next fill your meals will get a little smaller, and you'll stay at that level for a while learning how to manage that. The whole POINT is that it's gradual! Don't think that just because you're not feeling it now that the whole project is a loss!!!

Take notes about what you're eating and how long you're hungry. Often adding Protein will help in keeping us satisfied longer between meals. But if that doesn't work maybe another adjustment is in order. So call your docs.

Good luck, and don't lose hope!! Your banded life is proceeding exactly as it's supposed to. ;)

Guest j. lynn

I've only lost about 18 pounds and I'm starting to feel very depressed that I went through all of this and spent all this money and nothing is happening. Does anyone have any good advice?

Unfortunately, it takes time to get the right fill level that will give you restriction. And really, 18 lbs in 6 weeks is great -- that's 3 lbs/week!

The only thing you can do is to follow the "rules" even though it will be much tougher until you get properly restricted.

1) At least 64 ounces of Water a day. It counts as Water if it is calorie-free (or close) -- so Crystal Light and sugar-free Kool-Aid count. It also must be Decaf - regular coffee doesn't count as a liquid.

2) At least 60 grams of Protein a day.

3) No drinking with meals. I even have a no-drinking for 30 minutes after a meal...some docs say 1 hour after.

4) All liquids must be almost calorie-free, except milk. This means no sugary lemonades, but you can have Crystal Light, sugar-free Kool-Aid, water, sugar-free popsicles.

5) Eat Breakfast. Not really a bandster rule, but one that I've found very important.

6) No grazing. If you want a snack, fine, plan for it. But don't keep eating those Hershey kisses by your co-workers desk. You'd be surprised at how fast they add up.

7) Exercise daily. No matter what the level -- if you can only walk 10 minutes, do 10 minutes. If you can do 1/2 hour, do that. But do something and every so often, increase your time and intensity.

Try tracking your calorie intake on fitday.com for just a few days. See how many calories you're taking in. If you're not losing, you're probably taking in more than you think. Course, it's possible to take in too few calories and then your body will shut down. The goal is for 1200-1500 calories/day.

jayme

When I look back on the first six months of banded life, I remember being GLAD about the slow onset of restriction.

>>>>>>>>>>As I know I should be.. your so good at putting things in perspective. TY

It's totally unrealistic to think that we can change our habits overnight with nothing but the knowledge there's a band inside to help us! If you're not feeling restriction, there is no point in beating yourself up about not being satisfied on the tiny amounts you've heard other people talk about.

>>>>>>>>>I am not beating my self up.. BUT I am very frusterated that my USA band doctor wont fill me!

Finding the right fill is a process. Talk to your doctors! When you get to the point that three bites is your entire meal, you'll be glad you had this interim time to accept that 15 bites is a meal. Pre-op your meals were probably 50-75 bites! It's not easy being faced with a plateful of food you are physically incapable of eating, so don't rush the experience.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Your so right! But i just hate hate hate foods control over me and cannot wait for the 5 to 15 bite meals~!

The "physically incapible of eating" part I am so ready for.. I SWEAR!

Ha ha.. I will be on here whining about it later I am sure..

THANK you again, everything you say I understand and get!

Think of it as going down a ladder. You're eating less than you were pre-op, somewhere near the top of the ladder. As you descend a little more with each adjustment, there's time to accept the changes you're making. Then with the next fill your meals will get a little smaller, and you'll stay at that level for a while learning how to manage that. The whole POINT is that it's gradual! Don't think that just because you're not feeling it now that the whole project is a loss!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>Yes, your right.... its time for my next step.. I am being impatient... But the three months havnt really changed my eating habits muchg at all, I am so ready for SOMETHING!

THANK YOU