Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days out and in SEVERE pain...

I had my band put in on the 19th. Recovery in the hospital was MUCH worse than I expected - how does anyone do this as out-patient??? My main problem has been the very severe pain in my port area. It seems to have gotten worse and saw my Dr at my 1-week follow-up and my Dr said "it is what it is." I was relieved to hear that I didn't have a "problem" per se, but I am giving this pain an 8 on the pain scale over a week later. He gave me more pain meds and told me to come back in a week. I have had several other surgeries and birthed 2 kids so I am no stranger to pain, but when I move a certain way, I feel like I'm getting stabbed. I can't bend over at all, I can barely lift my left arm, I can't twist at all. Two nurses I spoke to said that most people say it hurts much more than they thought, so maybe it was an issue of expectations. But everything I read seems to say that I shouldn't be crying in pain if my elbow accidentally bumps a doorframe...

I'm not sure what to tell you. I was banded on the 13th of May and had an overnight in the hospital. I haven't even taken Advil, aspirin or anything for pain. I know the port incision is the biggest incision - I have six total and my port incision is twice the size as the others.

I just had my post-op appointment today and my doctor said it all looks good. He asked about pain and I said I didn't have any except for some random zings and stabs, which is just the nerves getting it back together.

Can you go see your regular doctor about the pain? If you've had previous surgeries and given birth, I suppose you know about pain, so I would think your LapBand doc would take your pain complaints into consideration.

Do you have any pain medications? I was prescribed Oxy but I didn't even take that. I'm sorry for your pain. I'd go see your regular doctor if your LapBand doctor is unresponsive to your needs.

I had alot of pain after surgery too, bending, turning over in bed etc. I would just hold my hand too apply pressure when turning over, i didnt really bend for like a month. cleaning the tub was a big no no. It finally went away after about a month.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time. I was banded on the 15th, arrived at the surgery center at 11:00 a.m., walked out at 4:00 pm and felt fine until around midnight when some pain kicked in but most of it was gone by the next day.

However, the area around my port started hurting pretty badly around Day #5 and bothered me for over a week. I had to hold my stomach whenever I bent over, sat up, turned, got in/out of a car, etc. But it doesn't sound like it was as bad as what you're experiencing.

If your doctor doesn't seem concerned and is willing to prescribe the pain meds to help you deal with it, I'm not sure what else you can do except wait it out. Is your doctor a bariatric surgeon?

I'm really sorry you're hurting so much. I think my pain never got above a 2 on the 1-10 scale. I took meds just twice at night to help sleep.

I do think you should talk with your doctor about the pain again. If you are really up at an 8 in pain after a week, maybe something else is going on. Infection is one thing that comes to mind -- do you have a fever at all?

Everyone recovers at a different pace. I've been watching on these boards a bit and it really does seem that the people over 35 take a little longer to heal and experience a bit more pain than those under. I know -- another age-related thing, but my very unscientific observances do seem to be holding together.

Some words of encouragement for you --

The surgery is over and you have probably experienced the worst of your pain. From here, things will only get better. You will become more strong and able to do a little more each day. Hang in there, talk with your doctor again, and remember that good things are on the way.

I also had a lot of unexpected pain. My doctor told me that it was probably nerve damage. It does go away. I think my severe pain went away about 3 weeks out, but I was still "sore" for another month. I'm 3 months out now and I still get some soreness every now and then, but it's not severe, kind of like how you fill after doing a lot of sit-ups.

I was banded on May 20th and suggest you keep a bag of frozen peas over the area! I did and it really helps. I will pray that it heals quickly!!

Otherwise, shake the bushes at their office to "hear" your pain!! :lol:

I am so sorry to hear you are in pain. I can not tell you that I know what you are feeling since I have not been banded yet, but I too have beared children and had a total hysterectomy - (and a few other surgeries). I normally have a very high pain threshold but I have found that because I am so inactive and due to some of my past surgeries I have developed a tolerance to many of the pain killers. I have lupus and with that there is pain but the meds don't always work. Healing takes time but it helps to have the right meds, a good mattress and a support system (like this one). The more you use your stomach muscles the more soreness will set in, along with the tenderness of the entrance site and the layers and layers of muscle that were penetrated to get there (ouch).

I will keep you in my prayers (I hope you don't mind) for a fast recovery, please keep in touch :-)

Even with the pain meds you feel the pain is an 8/10? Are you getting hydrocodone or similar narcotic? I needed that for at least a week in addition to the round-the-clock ibuprofin.

Make sure you are staying ahead of the pain -- i.e. take your meds on schedule even in the middle of the night.

Sorry you are hurting so much. It hurt more than I expected too, and for longer. But not as much as you're experiencing.

Thanks so much for all the responses! To answer a few questions... no fever at all and the skin openings look fine so I don't think it's an infection. It's more of an internal pain. My surgeon is a bariatric surgeon - a very highly rated one at a highly rated Chicago hospital. I am 39, so maybe the age issue is more of one than I had considered. If I cough or sneeze, my pain is at an 8 WITH Hydrocodone. If I am laying or sitting and doing nothing, my pain is more at 5 (again, on the hydrocodone). My Dr. will NOT let me take any anti-inflammatories at all. I was taking one in the hospital which seemed to work much better than the hydrocodone, but he said I can't take that because it is too rough on the stomach. After the surgery I was trying to be very careful and my Dr said I was too inactive and that's why I am not healing well. So for the last 3 days I have been trying to get up and do more - and the pain seems worse. Could be becuase I am developing a tolerance to the medication or because I am finally working the muscles, and as they say, no pain no gain. I am giving it until tomorrow and then I will call my regular Dr and see what she thinks. I am encouraged to hear that some of you also experienced bad pain. Everything I read made me feel as if I should have been out weeding my garden the day after I got home! At this point, I'll be out of work for 3 weeks and longer if the pain doesn't subside soon.

I'd see a doctor if I were you, I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain but if you'd liken it to childbirth, that's a bit of a worry. Seriously, I would say my pain was about a one, I went home from hospital and went for a long walk.

Hopefully, you're just suffering particularly badly from gas.

I'm sorry to hear you have alot of pain. I was in a lot pain too. It too me by surprise because of all the post I read that many people didn't have much pain at all. The only time I had relief was when I was laying down. Standing, sitting, walking... caused me alot of pain. By the 3rd week I could feel a difference but driving a car still brought tears to my eyes (getting in/out, make turns, etc). It took me about 25 days to feel normal... without holding my belly with tears in my eyes.... seriously.

My doctor and nurse were great. Took my calls, made suggestions, prescribed additional medication but I just had alot of port pain... deep inside. But it does get better and the pain does go away and the band does work! So hang in there!!