Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

-16 this morning when I went to work with a -32 windchill. BRRRRRR!!! I still haven't warmed up, though it's a balmy 20 out now. We get to freezing by Sat. and 40's on the weekend. It will feel almost tropical. LOL It snowed for 2 days but real fine stuff, about as much as Apples photos.

One week from today is my knee surgery. I think I am ready. I've gotten all my Christmasy stuff done, I just have stuff like laundry, change the linens etc. to do this weekend. I volunteered at the hospital today and in the office I work in they pulled up the schedule and I am at 930 am. And she put a call in to get me a suite if one happens to be available. That was so nice last time. And the best part, I may get a paid position there after my recovery. It's still a tenative thing but they asked if I'd be interested. Now if only we knew what was going to happen with DH's job.

Arlene, glad you enjoyed Hawaii, I love going there, haven't been in several years, since I lived in California actually. 10,000 feet is high, that is about the elevation we camp at in the summers, but I start out at 5280 (mile high city ya know) so maybe it doesn't seem as high to me. I do notice when camping at that elevation I get tight in my band, but it doesn't bother me just flying.

Laura, I must've missed a post some place, is your dad going to a new dr in Houston?

Yeah, We were able to get him a referral to MD Anderson Cancer Center. The head of the urological oncology is one of the few people who have cared for ureter cancer patients. (it's pretty rare, bladder and kidney are most common or urothelial or transitional call carcinoma). And apparently the kind of tumor he has that wraps around the ureter and grows out instead of in... is REALLY rare. That's why with all the cystoscopy procedures he has had, no one has seen anything abnormal! Crossing our fingers that it is a productive trip. Dad insists on traveling in his little plane (Cessna 210P), of course with a friend pilot doing the flying. It's a pretty long flight from NC to Houston. He says "that's why I have my plane, to use it". Who can argue with that?! DH will meet them there. He is going to be his "advocate" and help talk "medical" with the docs. I have one of the best husbands in the world! (arguably some of you have good ones too)

Wishing you the best of luck with your knee surgery!!! I know you will do GREAT. ; ) Also, it's so much better when you know what you are getting into. I hear you on the 100% paid thing. We have met our deductible for the first year EVER.. and I have to schedule my hysteroscopy/ fibroid thinga-ma-jiggy SP?? (forget the real name) surgery before the end of the year if possible! Stay warm. brrrrrr. (should I tell you guys I am sitting in the sun in a bathing suit by the pool on my laptop? no, maybe not) :scared2:

Laura

Yeah, We were able to get him a referral to MD Anderson Cancer Center. The head of the urological oncology is one of the few people who have cared for ureter cancer patients. (it's pretty rare, bladder and kidney are most common or urothelial or transitional call carcinoma). And apparently the kind of tumor he has that wraps around the ureter and grows out instead of in... is REALLY rare. That's why with all the cystoscopy procedures he has had, no one has seen anything abnormal! Crossing our fingers that it is a productive trip. Dad insists on traveling in his little plane (Cessna 210P), of course with a friend pilot doing the flying. It's a pretty long flight from NC to Houston. He says "that's why I have my plane, to use it". Who can argue with that?! DH will meet them there. He is going to be his "advocate" and help talk "medical" with the docs. I have one of the best husbands in the world! (arguably some of you have good ones too)

Wishing you the best of luck with your knee surgery!!! I know you will do GREAT. ; ) Also, it's so much better when you know what you are getting into. I hear you on the 100% paid thing. We have met our deductible for the first year EVER.. and I have to schedule my hysteroscopy/ fibroid thinga-ma-jiggy SP?? (forget the real name) surgery before the end of the year if possible! Stay warm. brrrrrr. (should I tell you guys I am sitting in the sun in a bathing suit by the pool on my laptop? no, maybe not) :scared2:

Laura

Sure, Laura...go ahead...rub it in! Just took me 10 minutes to get my Sorels (boots), coat, mittens and cap on to trudge out to where my men are working to deliver them some cappacino. I have a red nose and cold finger tips. Sure...just sit by your pool...no guilt. Nope, don't feel sorry for us.:thumbup:

Good afternoon everyone,

I have a million things to do and instead I am going through Nelson's clothes. He is growing out of EVERYTHING! All his long pants are 5 inches too short (we don't get to wear long stuff much) and long sleeves look like 3/4 sleeves. (not really a style for a 5 yr old boy!) I have two huge hefty bags to go to charity. Sometimes I wish I was organized enough to sell them on ebay- but who has the time & patience!? I also have to slowly phase out some stuff b/c he has a very hard time letting go of things. I know all kids do, but it is especially a sensitive subject for him. I always pick 3 or 4 items from the year that were real favorites and put it in my cedar chest. I LOVE pulling those out to see how much he's grown. The girl that helps me clean has 14 nephews in Brazil and they are from the poorest area. She usually takes a lot with her when she goes for a visit.

Meredith~ Thinking of you with all the end of semester stuff. I remember how stressful this time of the year was when I was in school. Hang in there. Tough times never last, but tough people do. NYC?! I went once when I was 16.. saw CATS on Broadway. Have a great trip!

Eva~ Thanks for the flyby hi. hugs to you!

Janet~ brrrrrrrrrrr, even your temps are cold to me! I won't even get started with Karen's! Stay warm all of you! (hoping no one is mad at me for the rubbing the hot weather comment in)

Femmeone~ those pizzelles sound "to die for"!!! you aren't a grinch, those guys would have been equally as happy for some tollhouse. I do hope you sent them in SOMETHING after you made DH yank them from their hands!

Apples~ Happy baking! yum. I really think I am going to pass on my gingerbread Cookies this year. Still thinking. I just spend so much time with them and now we don't eat them. I always make a gingerbread house with Nelson. But I cheat and buy the "ready made "house and decorate it with him. I never use their fake royal icing b/c it looks bad. I like the real old school recipe. I love as the days go by and all the candy is missing. He starts picking them off as he walks by..LOL.

Oh, I have to tell you guys- all that talk of the Champion stuff at Target made me get some. I wore the black fitted ones and a matching v neck black t shirt yesterday. DH came home and said "you have really lost more weight!" And then wore the same thing to Nelson's karate and 5 people commented on how good I looked. I was thinking that maybe I will just wear it all the time! I did feel good in it. : )

Last night we went to Bone Fish Grill. I ordered the cup of Corn Chowder with Lump Crab that I get every time. I am sure it has a gazillion calories (can taste the cream and butter) but it is one of my most favs. I only eat half and give DH the rest. I had the appetizer portion of scallops (4) and it comes with a mango chutney. and I get a vegetable. I did have a gin and tonic too. I had planned for the meal and didn't feel guilty at all. I had a yogurt with granola (200) midmorning and a Protein Shake made with skim milk and berries for lunch (300). I still chuckle each and every time 4 scallops fill me up!

My sister had her 6 mo. post op appt for her gastric bypass. She's lost 49 lbs. My parents have been giving her a REALLY hard time (even with all their stuff going on) b/c they feel she should have lost more. She said her dr was ok with it. Encouraged her to make appts with nutr/exerc/psych to just tweak things. She is eating more calories/amounts than she is supposed to and admits it and she is not doing purposeful exercise. She will "walk" at Walmart and look at stuff and say I walked 2000 steps today. I just worry for her that although the weight is coming off now, that it will stop and then possibly gain it back. She's in a tough spot right now living with them. It's incredibly high stress in that house. (can cut the stress with a knife!) I think she is depressed but she says she's not. Maybe that's what worries me more- if you are 48, unemployed, and living with your parents- shouldn't that depress you?! On a selfish level, there is a part of me that is glad she is there for my mom. She does all of mom's errands/shopping and cleans the kitchen. But she can't cook worth a toot and is not self motivated to take care of things around the house. Mom has to ask her to vacuum under the table, she wouldn't notice that it needed to be done. It's weird to be thankful that she is there and mad at her for being a mooch- all at the same time. SIGH.

Tonight is Nelson's school "winter performance". They are singing the Beatles' "I want to hold your hand" and "all we need is love". He is playing a pretend guitar and is soooo excited! DH is on-call tonight and thought he wouldn't be able to go. His boss will "cover" for that hour. I usually take a million photos.. but they are wearing jeans and black t shirts and it just seems so not festive. just wish they had done something more colorful or creative. I was supposed to be on that committee too, but had to bow out last month. Perhaps I shouldn't complain.

A lot of you are posting this morning! I will CBL~ peasout.

Laura

Edited by peascorps

Meredith, Physics, Wow. I am amazed. Goodluck on all the end of semester finals and stuff. I have always wanted to visit new york. I hope you have a blast.

Laura, your little one singing the beatles is going to be so adorable. My son was just in a program last night at church. My husband and I giggled the whole time. There were some really precious moments. Enjoy them and takes lots of pics.

Tonite I am taking my son to see the nutcracker. It has kinda become a tradition for us since before he was even born. He loves to watch the tree "grow" and the mice and soldiers fight. We invited his friend and their parents to go with us so it will be an intresteing evening with two 5 year olds. My son always causes us to leave at intermission cause he just can't sit still through the whole thing. I am a little nervous about hanging out with his friends parents. I have social anxiety but I am trying to fight it because I need face to face friends. My son's friend is also going to stay the night. My in laws are excited more about this sleepover than they were the last. Partly because they are good friends with this family and know that they are strong christians. They get concernced when I have friends who aren't. I just think it is adorable that my little boy has his first best friend.

Thank you all for supporting my decision to take mood stabilizers. It means alot to me that I can be honest about it and receive such positive feedback. I am tired of living feeling guilty because the 2 churchs I have attended in the past years have decided it is not something they want to endorse but would rather speak against. I have stopped going to either of those churches which is the main source of tension between me and my MIL. That is why all the other crazy stuff happens.

Oops forgot my post......Yes, I think the core plan would be the best for me and Lori, I just need the accountability. The nutritionist said I don't need to see her unless I want to make that drive just to weigh in and talk. WW is less than a mile away. I probably won't start until the first of the year or until they have a special.

Okay, that makes total sense for the accountabilty of the weigh ins. I did continue to go to WW after my surgery for about 4 to 6 mos just to weigh even though I wasn't following their points. It did get to the point though that I was getting lots of odd comments about my success. Most WW people aren't real band friendly or accepting and if you choose to keep it quiet they want to know what you are doing to be so successful and ask lots of questions. It just got akward for me and I stopped going. But I did like the accountability. At the time if I had followed the points which are based on your current weight, I was to get over 30 points a day and there's no way I'd have lost like I did if I ate that many points.

Sure, Laura...go ahead...rub it in! Just took me 10 minutes to get my Sorels (boots), coat, mittens and cap on to trudge out to where my men are working to deliver them some cappacino. I have a red nose and cold finger tips. Sure...just sit by your pool...no guilt. Nope, don't feel sorry for us.:eek:

I concur! rub it in. LOL Actually I don't mind snow or winter, it's when it gets that much below zero that I start whining! LOL When I lived in Vegas and Calif and to a certain extent Delaware I missed 4 seasons. Have a foo-foo drink with an umbrella for me while you are there.

Thanks Apples for the comment about being a good granddaughter. I try and do my best by her. I told her I'd come by on Monday and get her stocked up on things before my surgery as I won't be by then probably til after Christmas. We went to Golden Corral buffet for lunch. I hardly get my money's worth there nor does she, but she eats like a bird and the whole family is worried about her eating. She watches every penny and even if I buy lunch she will get the cheapest thing on the menu whether she likes it or not. I have found if I go to a buffet and it's one price, she will eat more 'to get her money's worth'. My son went with us today and got a kick out of how she ate. She says she never has an appetite and just eats because she knows she has to. Other than Cookies and Desserts, she has an appetite for those. I read that as you age you lose your taste sensation, the last sensation you lose is your taste for sweets. I believe it after watching her eat.

Great...so what you are trying to tell us is that most of us have to wait till we are pushing 101 yrs of age till we kick our cravings for sweets? LOL

Great...so what you are trying to tell us is that most of us have to wait till we are pushing 101 yrs of age till we kick our cravings for sweets? LOL

WEll if Grandma is the example then yes. LOL Though she's always had a sweet tooth. There was always dessert at Grandma's house. But sweets isn't what gets me in trouble, I can take or leave them. For me it's the salty, crunchy stuff like chips and popcorn.

Just got home from getting a winter pedicure. I thought I needed cute toes in the hospital (I usually only get them in sandal weather months). I know have 'Dear Santa' red toes with a Christmas tree painted on my big toes. Maybe the surgeons will get a kick out of them in the OR sticking out, except I think my surgeon is Jewish. LOL Maybe I should've gotten menorrahs. LOL

WEll if Grandma is the example then yes. LOL Though she's always had a sweet tooth. There was always dessert at Grandma's house. But sweets isn't what gets me in trouble, I can take or leave them. For me it's the salty, crunchy stuff like chips and popcorn.

Just got home from getting a winter pedicure. I thought I needed cute toes in the hospital (I usually only get them in sandal weather months). I know have 'Dear Santa' red toes with a Christmas tree painted on my big toes. Maybe the surgeons will get a kick out of them in the OR sticking out, except I think my surgeon is Jewish. LOL Maybe I should've gotten menorrahs. LOL

Almost every surgery I have had the pre-surgery rules states NO nail polish. Not only do you get to wear it, sounds like your toes are all dress up and festive.

I almost hate to admit this...I have never had a pedicure or a manicure. I guess I have never been much of a girly-girl. One of these days I'm gonna go get me one!

Hi guys. I will not be able to go to Florida after all. The flights available and $ would cut my time to such a small amount for more money than I can really swing. I feel really bad but I know the rest of you will have a good time.

It's freezing in Chicago, too. Was very windy. I've been fighting a head cold. I need to go back in to work now for a Christmas concert the kids are in. I can't sing at my own choir practice tonight with this cold anyway. The kids have been asking me for several days if I'm going to come hear them. The bands will be painful to listen to. The choir will be pretty good. But at least they'll see me there and know I care about them.

Cheri

Just made a yummy dish. I cooked a small package of breast tenderloins in a half a bottle of Newman's Own Honey Mustard Light dressing with a couple of tablesspoons of Worcestershire sauce at 350 for 50 minutes. I covered it in foil. I put it over a small amount of rice. 90cal for chicken-4ozs, 70 cal for 2tbs of sauce. Rice depends on the amount. Cooking it in the sauce makes it so tender. Okay, that is my tip for the day.

Hey everybody, you've all been so busy posting again.. I've been very "busy" today with Mimi... She has been a handful today... Napping now and her mother will be here soon......Thank goodness.....

Great, around here they instruct you to remove all nail polish before surgery.... I'd hate for you to wake up with it all gone!!!!! I'm about like you about winter... I don't start to whine until it gets "very" cold... I was only out for a couple minutes today, so can't say much. It's 3 above zero right now... We do have a warm up coming next week into the 20's.....

I got another batch of Cookies done this morning and they are in the freezer now... DH went to Bismarck by himself to do his shopping, so he's feeling pretty smug about being done... That's the extent of his Christmas duties... He leaves all the rest for me.... I have so much left to do and I don't know where to begin...

Jewel, I just got put on anti-depressents 3 weeks ago... Cymbalta.........don't feel much like they are working.... They said I should notice a change after a week... Glad you got yours and I hope they help you... Have fun at the Nutcracker...

Laura I got up and turned my heat up about the time I was reading your post about sitting by the pool... So, tell me, what kind of weather do we expect in February???? Do you still swim then?

OKAY GANG, I just booked my flight to FL..:eek:...Whew!! I managed to get it done the way I was hoping so that part can be paid by my FF miles and the rest by me.... My military connection came through for me..... She booked me on the window or the aisle for all flights... So, now that worry is over, I just have to worry about the all the rest...... I'm 57 years old, I guess I should be able to do this!!??

Well, just found out I have to be somewhere at 7:30 and I haven't made supper and have to do my hair... better hustle.... Take care all...TTYL.....Julie

Hey everybody, you've all been so busy posting again.. I've been very "busy" today with Mimi... She has been a handful today... Napping now and her mother will be here soon......Thank goodness.....

Great, around here they instruct you to remove all nail polish before surgery.... I'd hate for you to wake up with it all gone!!!!! I'm about like you about winter... I don't start to whine until it gets "very" cold... I was only out for a couple minutes today, so can't say much. It's 3 above zero right now... We do have a warm up coming next week into the 20's.....

I got another batch of Cookies done this morning and they are in the freezer now... DH went to Bismarck by himself to do his shopping, so he's feeling pretty smug about being done... That's the extent of his Christmas duties... He leaves all the rest for me.... I have so much left to do and I don't know where to begin...

Jewel, I just got put on anti-depressents 3 weeks ago... Cymbalta.........don't feel much like they are working.... They said I should notice a change after a week... Glad you got yours and I hope they help you... Have fun at the Nutcracker...

Laura I got up and turned my heat up about the time I was reading your post about sitting by the pool... So, tell me, what kind of weather do we expect in February???? Do you still swim then?

OKAY GANG, I just booked my flight to FL..:thumbdown:...Whew!! I managed to get it done the way I was hoping so that part can be paid by my FF miles and the rest by me.... My military connection came through for me..... She booked me on the window or the aisle for all flights... So, now that worry is over, I just have to worry about the all the rest...... I'm 57 years old, I guess I should be able to do this!!??

Well, just found out I have to be somewhere at 7:30 and I haven't made supper and have to do my hair... better hustle.... Take care all...TTYL.....Julie

Hey! Proud of you, Girl, for booking that trip. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the flights. You know you can do this travel alone. One of us is only a phone call away. And, if you have questions at an airport, there would be many reps to help you out. You will do fine. :eek:

Just made a yummy dish. I cooked a small package of breast tenderloins in a half a bottle of Newman's Own Honey Mustard Light dressing with a couple of tablesspoons of Worcestershire sauce at 350 for 50 minutes. I covered it in foil. I put it over a small amount of rice. 90cal for chicken-4ozs, 70 cal for 2tbs of sauce. Rice depends on the amount. Cooking it in the sauce makes it so tender. Okay, that is my tip for the day.

Recipe sounds really good, Arlene....except for the rice. (We don't get along so well). :eek:

Apples - hanks for the trip info I have just logged on today I have been working alot of double shift at work just for the money.

Jessica - I did not realize you already had a banding date scheduled. Congrats

Charlene K - I am glad you had fun on your trip

Hope every one is doing well