Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went in today 5/28/08 for my first fill and when they put it under the xray machine to find the port, well they found it alright, UPSIDE DOWN!!!

So now tomorrow 5-29, I have to go in for an out patient surgery and recut me open to fix the problem. Then my Dr will fill it at the same time. So I just hope that it don't happen again and that he sews is tighter and better then the first time. Have this happen to anyone when you went for your fill???

I hope everyone has a great day!!!

Kristy

Yikes! Sorry this has happened! Is the surgeon charging you to fix this? I know you will incur hospital charges, but I don't think the surgeon should charge you for this complication so soon after surgery. Hopefully he sutures it better this time and that you heal quickly:biggrin:

Bizarre....I went in yesterday, 5/27/08 and found that my port had done a 180 too! I'm 6 months out but have only had 2 fills. I don't have a revision surgery date yet but I hope it's soon. Good luck tomorrow--wish you speedy healing! Remember that a flipped port may be easier to deal with than a slipped band...

Guest Leslie2Lose

I went in this past Thursday and found out mine has flipped as well. It was my first fill as well. I had surgery on 4/10. I have to wait, because of scheduling, until 6/6 to fix mine. My Dr. is going to do my fill then as well. Your port must be in your abdomin if they scheduled and x-ray for your fill. Mine is in my shoulder, which is even harder to flip. It sucks! I know exactly how you are feeling. I hope your surgery goes well.

Hi there im sorry to hear this has happened to you! I have been banded 6 years and had it happen twice...the first time was around a year out and i had it surgically corrected (which really isnt a big op at all) then it happened again a few months ago but when i went for the xray it had flipped itself back again, i have always had a bad port...it moves and everytime i have a fill it is in a different place (same round about area)

Good luck with the revision, it will go quick :-)

Yikes, sorry you have to go through surgery again. Which band do you have...I'm just wondering if it's the port thatis clamped on(realize) or sutured in.

This is not good... I hope everyting goes ok... i have a question were u feeling a lot of pain around your port area?

I had the same thing happen to my port but the doctor fixed it within a week and had me on my way again. He told me that it happens in 1 in 100 patients and is normally fixed pretty easy. I have not been losing the weight I had hoped for but I know I need to get out and exercise more. So this summer is a new adventure and hopefully none of us will have to experience a flipped port again.....:wink2:

OK..... was banded a week ago today. Can everyone share where you are and what Dr. you used?

What a nightmare!!!!

Thanks!

This is not good... I hope everyting goes ok... i have a question were u feeling a lot of pain around your port area?

After surgery My port area was always hurting, like for 2 weeks straight, then one day it just stopped. So I went like this for like 4 weeks, then yesterday was my first fill, and they do the xray machine to first find it, and then they did that, they saw that it was flipped..So I am not wondering if they whole time I was in pain for those 2 weeks, that my port was flipping and undoing.. I don't know when it flipped..But yes My port area was hurting..

Yikes, sorry you have to go through surgery again. Which band do you have...I'm just wondering if it's the port thatis clamped on(realize) or sutured in.

I don't know what band I have but I know it's a big one and that they sew the port in the muscle area next to my belly button.

I am glad that I am not alone on this, But to me if this always happen, then they need to find a easy and sercure way to put these ports so they don't move on ya.

Question for Lesile2Loose: How come yours is in your shoulder?? I never heard of that before?? You must have a long card to go all the way up in your shoulder??

Mine is right next to my belly button.

Guest Leslie2Lose

My doctor places all of his ports there. It is easier to do fills, you don't have to x-ray and go through all that ordeal to do fills. They nurse feels for the port, numbs you and your done. In my case, they just hit the metal back of my port. He stitches them to the chest muscle. The cord runs under my breast (from what I understand). A lot of cancer patients have ports in the shoulders for treatment.

It is actually low enough you can't see the scar with a bathing suit or bra. It is about 3 inches lower than my arm pit in my upper left breast area. He told me he will have to make a new incision to get it flipped and fixed. It should take about 15 minutes since it is just under the skin and he won't have to do anything to my abdomin area. The re-coop shouldn't be as bad or as long.

I'm sorry yours flipped too! I freaked out. I think DH took it worse than I did. I'm waiting for insurance to run everything. My doctor said I'd have no cost at all, but still have to go through insurance. I'm scheduled for a week from tomorrow. I hope they approve me by then, if not I'll have to wait another week.

Good luck to you! I hope your surgery goes well.

Edited by Leslie2Lose

Mine went great. I was there for like 2 hours. Went there at 10:30 am left at 12:20 pm. I just had a IV and they knocked me out for a little bit, recut me in the same area, fixed it and filled me and I had to drink some Water before to make sure I wasn't to tight, then at 12:30 I was home. It wasn't really nothing. I also didn't have to pay for it either. or go threw Insurance. My Dr did it like it was a free fill, which it was but just had to do a little more..Plus I get free service for 1 year..

I go in 2 weeks for a check-up and another fill that he wants to do on me. So right now I have 2 ccs. Plus I am on 24 hour liquids. Which suck cause I am hungrey..I gotten use to eatting food..LOL....But It's ok. I am almost there..LOL....

Yikes! Sorry this has happened! Is the surgeon charging you to fix this? I know you will incur hospital charges, but I don't think the surgeon should charge you for this complication so soon after surgery. Hopefully he sutures it better this time and that you heal quickly:biggrin:

No it was free today. I have free service for 1 year with this Dr since I was out of pocket. So today was just a a normal free fill.With a little more machines..LOL.. That's how he put it.