Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, My name is Becky. I'm new to this site. I'm going to get the lap band surgery on June 9th. I'm so nervous. Can someone please let me know what to expect the first couple of weeks..

Thanks

Welcome to LBT, and congrats on having surgery soon. I wish you luck. My surgery won't be until November!

Hey there! We're being banded on the same day. I'm being banded in Tyler, Texas by Dr. Babineau. Good luck to you!

Are you on a pre-op diet or anything?

Well, congratulations on your upcoming surgery! Hope your experience was as good as mine. Don't be nervous!

Every surgeon has his own routine, but here's what it was like for me.

Surgery mid-morning with overnight stay - walked out of hospital next morning.

Anesthesia gave meds prior to going into surgery - next thing I know I woke up -- very sleepy, not wanting to wake up or move - just so tired. A few hours later started feeling better. Very little pain, really, because the staff was quick to give me meds for nausea and pain as soon as I was conscious. Sure, it hurt to roll over or sit up, but very bareable. Pain meds as needed during the night. Started some liquids that night, and full liquids next day - expect to eat very little - a few tablespoons seems to fill you up.

Certainly expect there will be some gas-type pain as the bowels slowly start moving again - from the drugs, anesthesia, and the surgery itself. Walking - short little walks around the house, etc, help get things moving.

Don't be afraid to take your pain med - usually a tylenol/narcotic elixer. It will help you be comfortable so that you can move more. After a few days, liquid tylenol was all I needed, except at night.

Some people have a lot of shoulder pain, which is generally 'referred pain' from gas left in your belly (the doctor bloats up your abdomen to be able to manuever around inside and see through the scope.) I didn't have too much, but had some tightness in the mid back. Also, achiness of the neck and shoulders from position during surgery.

In a couple days you will start feeling much better. I was off work x 2 weeks because I wanted to be - I felt it was important to focus on me, eating right, relaxing, sleeping as desired, rather than worrying about getting to work and not having time to get enough fluids in, etc. I enjoyed my time off...and got plenty of housework done! It was a treat!

Within 2 weeks, felt really good, and have felt great ever since then!

No complications whatsoever.

My only complaint is that you DO get hungry as you heal, and then the fills start - for me, one month after surgery. I was hungry starting about 3 weeks after surgery. But again, every body is different.

Good luck - and I'm sure there will be other stories and experiences that people will share. But for me, everything went great and it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!

Congragulations I feel better that I did before my surgery. You let us know when you have it done and how you feel. I had mine on St. Patty's day. I feel the luck of the Irish.

Hi my name is ysabel and i live in the kissimmee area in Florida i would like to speak to people from the area that have had that have been banded in the kissimme area, Florida because today my doctor told me that i need to think about doing lapband because my health is getting worst and i really know that i need it and i want to make that change in my life i need it, i get so depress because i am not happy with the way i am right now, but i know it can get better i just to have someone to speak with that have already done this, ca any one help on how to het my insurance to cover me for it i have cigna HMO please if any one have info about how i can get my insurance to pay for it, my weight now is 354pounds i have diabetes type 2.. PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEE my email is ysabella581@hotmail.com

Hi ysabella,

I'm not in Florida, so I can't help you locally. However, I started out near your weight last November. I had been thinking about the surgery x 1 year, but didn't think I could make the lifestyle change to quit overeating the foods that I loved. It is a drastic change, however, it's the best thing that has happened to me in the last 16 years! (getting married, having my children do rank above it, but that's about it!) Believe it or not, I don't really miss the food and quantities I used to eat.

Since November, when I started pre-surgical supervised diet, etc., I have gone from being somewhat poorly controlled with two diabetes meds down to 1/2 of one -- and I probably don't even need that anymore. I am down from 1 BP bill a day to a half of one, and my BP is perfect. I am off my Lipitor. I feel GREAT -- have energy to do things about the house that I haven't had for the past decade. I walk the dogs without getting short of breath - at one point, the thought of going around the block was enough to keep me on the couch. I walk UP the stairs at work (well, only one flight at this time, because I AM basically lazy!) Never would have considered walking u stairs 6 months ago!

There are studies out there now that demonstrate that weight loss surgery is the most effective treatment for obesity. There is also lots of data on the safety of the procedures. Your doctor, or local hospital librarian can get you information on the facts.

I'm relatively new at this - only banded earlier this month, but for the first time in my life I actally believe that I can be a normal weight! I've done the yo-yo dieting, but could never stick with it long enough to shed such a large weight loss that I needed, so I always gave up before and then gained even more back. Not this time!

Only you can decide what is right for you, and when you are ready to do it. That tipping point is different for everyone. It may take you a long time to be ready - like I said, it took me over a year before I was ready to make the committment. This is something you do for yourself, and nobody can make it work for you. It is not always easy - even with the band - but it is worth it!

Good luck with your journey.

Hi Y'all,

I'm new to this forum, so I wanted to say HI! to all of you fellow bandies. My wife and I got banded on April 4, 2008. Surgery was a piece of cake. I didn't even need pain meds. Got my first fill on May 14 and second fill May 28. I'm having difficulties right now. Can't keep anything down, not even Water. Vomiting 2 or 3 times an hour. No sleep. But I called the doc, so I'm sure he will fix it for me.

Anyways, we were the first and second LB surgeries at Baylor in Grapevine, TX. Our doc is Dr. Randall Wright. We have a lot of confidence in him, despite my present difficulties.

I think this forum is a good thing. I've learned a lot in a short time. Thanks for sharing, everybody. It helps a lot.

Good luck to all!

becky...my surgeon doesn't require a pre-op diet, but I'm putting myself on one anyway. I'm doing it for a couple of reasons. 1) I don't want any fatty liver issues. 2) I don't want to send my body into shock. I kind of like to ease into things. 3) I'm hoping to shrink my stomach just a wee bit before surgery. The day before surgery I can only have Clear Liquids. My actual surgery isn't scheduled until 2pm. I don't know how I'm going to last that long without food or Water. I'm a bit panicked about it to tell the truth.

Progressive...I grew up in Lewisville & Flower Mound! Small world. I think it's really neat that you and your wife got banded the same day. I think it would be beneficial to be going through the same diet phases at the same time.

Hi Carrie,

Yes, I guess it is a small world. I live very close to Lewisville & Flower Mound. We're in Trophy Club. It's on HWY 114 about three miles from Texas Motor Speedway.

I understand you're getting banded on June 9? Wow, that's not far away. I wish you all the luck in the world, although I don't think you'll need it. Other than a little soreness afterwards, the surgery is not too bad. The worst part for me, afterwards, was having to take crushed up medicine. Yuck! Try prescription fish oil and three big horsepills mixed with warm Water. If I had to take that mixture everyday, I wouldn't need a lap band. That's enough to kill your appetite all day.

Anyway, I hope you'll keep us informed about how it went. TTYL