Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The untold of lapband

Wow, thanks for the heads up about Calcium. My dietician wants to put me on supplements in about 4 weeks and I don't think I need any. I use double milk to make my Protein Shakes, love cheese, cottege cheese, and so forth. Can't imagine needing more. But in case I am pressured to take them and have a problem with consipation (never been a problem before!) I'll have a clue. It can be hard to sort out all the new things going on after banding, and sometimes the answer is so simple. When my husband's quit chewing tobacco, he had some major back up problems. He ate lots of raisons. I've heard any dried fruit is a natural laxative due to sugar and Fiber content. Only time really worked for him, but it sounds like time does not solve this problem for you guys. I'll keep reading this thread to keep up with suggestions just in case...

colace is just a stool softern .....

peri-colace is a stimulant and softern...

laxitive promote stimulation in the colon by contracting and facilitating the stools down

Vegetables and foods

Some vegetables and foods can be eaten to cure Constipation and act as laxatives, although the effectiveness may vary. These include:

[edit] Bulk-producing agents

Also known as bulking agents or roughage, these include dietary fiber. Bulk-producing agents cause the stool to be bulkier and to retain more Water, as well as forming an emollient gel, making it easier for peristaltic action to move it along. They should be taken with plenty of Water. Bulk-producing agents have the gentlest of effects among laxatives and can be taken just for maintaining regular bowel movements.

[edit] Stool softeners / Surfactants

• Site of Action: Small and large intestine
  • Onset of Action: 12 - 72 hours
  • Examples: docusate (Colace, Diocto)

These cause water and fats to penetrate the stool, making it easier to move along. Many of these quickly produce a tolerance effect and so become ineffective with prolonged use. Their strength is between that of the bulk producers and the stimulants, and they can be used for patients with occasional constipation or those with anorectal conditions for whom passage of a firm stool is painful.

[edit] Lubricants / Emollient

• Site of Action: Colon
  • Onset of Action: 6 - 8 hours

These simply make the stool slippery, so that it slides through the intestine more easily. An example is mineral oil, which also retards colonic absorption of water, softening the stool. Mineral oil may decrease the absorption of fat-soluble Vitamins (A, D, E and K).

[edit] Hydrating agents (osmotics)

These cause the intestines to hold more water within, softening the stool. There are two principal types, saline and hyperosmotic.

[edit] Saline

Saline laxatives attract and retain water in the intestinal lumen, increasing intraluminal pressure and thus softening the stool. They will also cause the release of cholecystokinin, which stimulates the digestion of fat and Protein. Saline laxatives may alter a patient's Fluid and electrolyte balance.

Sulfate salts are considered the most potent.<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP>

[edit] Hyperosmotic agents

Lactulose works by the osmotic effect, which retains water in the colon, lowering the pH and increasing colonic peristalsis. Lactulose is also indicated in Portal-systemic encephalopathy. Glycerin suppositories work mostly by hyperosmotic action, but also the sodium stearate in the preparation causes local irritation to the colon.

Solutions of polyethylene glycol and electrolytes (sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, potassium chloride, and sometimes sodium sulfate) are used for whole bowel irrigation, a process designed to prepare the bowel for surgery or colonoscopy and to treat certain types of poisoning. Brand names for these solutions include GoLytely, GlycoLax, CoLyte, NuLytely, and others.

[edit] Effectiveness

For adults, a randomized controlled trial found PEG [MiraLax or GlycoLax] 17 grams once per day better than tegaserod 6 mg twice per day.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-pmid17573794_1-0>[2]</SUP> A randomized controlled trial found greater improvement from 2 sachets (26 grams) of PEG versus or 2 sachets (20 grams) of lactulose <SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-pmid9895382_2-0>[3]</SUP>. 17 grams/day of PEG has been effective and safe in a randomized controlled trial for six months.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-pmid17403074_3-0>[4]</SUP> Another randomized controlled trial found no difference between sorbitol and lactulose <SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-pmid2122724_4-0>[5]</SUP>.

For children, PEG was found to be more effective than lactulose.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-5>[6]</SUP>

I have had problems after since getting banded. I tried the prunes, MoM, the psyllium husks and I drink over 64 oz of Water a day. Nothing seemed to help.

I just got back from Arizona where it was very hot. I went to sell all of my dad's things and get him into assisted living. I was really stressed out and hot. I always crave ice cream when I am hot and stressed. I found it very strange that I had no troubles when I ate ice cream every day. I can't keep that up though!

I have problems with this and if I'm not very careful it can get very severe at times. Drinking more Water does help and I have 10-12 pitted prunes as my morning snack every day. I noticed several people have mentioned prunes and some have said they didn't help much, but maybe they just weren't having enough of them. I know 2-3 prunes a day isn't enough for me, but 10 does the trick. I also eat a fairly high fibre diet (lots of fresh vegetables), which keeps everything moving.

Also, the worst times for me are whenever I take any kind of pain killer. For example, two doses of paracetamol (Tylenol?) in the same day will stop me up for sure unless I double my vigilence on my diet. Given I eat a packet of 24 paracetemol every month at that time, I really really have to watch it then :cursing:.

Hi,

I had some issues with that as well. I got them solved, found the easiest way was when i'm feeling a little "chocked up", just eat 4 or 5 dried prunes and it will resolve itself in a couple of hours! Best of all, it's all natural. I don't know if I trust the chemical laxatives!

Hope this helps!

PS: The trick to using prunes is that they are mainly preventative or an early intervention solution. If you are stopped up for a day or two, they will help, but if you've let it go for 4, 5 or more days, you'll probably need something stronger to solve the immediate problem. Once solved, make them a permanent part of your diet to prevent future reoccurrances.

Well, it's Saturday again and I'm suffering. I go 6 days w/o going and then take a laxative.

Got the Miralax....taken it for 3 days and nothing...just gas. That stuff is $1.00 a dose.

I guess I'm just going to have to eat sweets a few times a week. I just hate to do that because the whole point of the band was to modify my behavior.

I've been on maintenance for months. I'm haning in around 138-141.