Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Singing after surgery

Hello Folks. I am new to the group and am really looking forward to participating. MY name is Mark and I am about to have the Lap Band surgery on April 19th in Ft Worth Texas. Dr. Adam Smith is my Surgeon and is simply wonderful. Especially since he is a bandster himself. But I do have a question to anyone out there who might sing or entertain. I play in a variety band and have a wedding to play at on the 23rd of April. 4 days after surgery. I was wondering how much discomfort to expect and am I being realistic about being able to sing and perform at this function. I may be able to find a sub for me but am running out of time to do so. I obviously would prefer to do the gig myself but would greatly value anyones experience in this arena.

Hey Mark, and welcome!

Let's see. I don't know about singing, but four days after my banding my DH and I drove the 800 odd miles from Seattle to SE ID. I was very tired after my banding, but I had asthma issues to deal with. I was back in class a week after banding with great energy levels

Part of it depends on how quickly you heal, and I suppose how much singing you will be doing. My advice is that if you decide to go ahead and sing, rest up before you have to go on stage.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Thanks Vinesqueen, I appreciate your input. I will definitely keep you posted. Hopefully I am a very quick healer. I've never had any kind of surgery before so we shall see.

Good luck matey... I can't help as I am to be banded the same day as yourself... If you have a pretty high pain threshold normally, you'd probably be ok pain wise, but I'd check with your surgeon, I dare say he might tell you to get a sub. Good luck any way, especially with the surgery.

La LA la la La LA!!! - LOL just kiding -only when I have too much wine or am in the car:0) Professional wannabe here Mark! It seems to be such a individual thing about how you may be after surgery. Chances are that you will feel great. However, depending if you only have to sing for a hour or two you may be fine- NO LIFTING or set up/break down at all!

I personally wouldn't risk the surgery so soon after for one gig. I would get a sub if it was me. Best of luck in your upcoming surgery & heal well!! The jobs will be there but truely this is a time to heal for you after the surgery & you need to be good to yourself:0)

Hey, guitarman! I was banded on the 8th, today is the 11th, 3 days after my surgery. Okay, so I'm a stay-at-home mom so many of the things I would normally take responsibility for have fallen to my Dear Husband (carrying laundry baskets, folding towels, ya know) and some of it just isn't getting done. That's okay, it will be there. I cannot pick up my 2yo son, but he can climb (!) onto the changing table with my help so problem solved. My sister is picking up my daughter from school so no driving necessary, and, more importantly, no loading a napping 28lb boy into the van to go get her. I have found a way to keep things as physically easy as possible, otherwise, life is normal. I slept well last night (with a pain pill at bedtime!) and the only lingering pain is my shoulders, from the gas I supppose. Last night I slept from 11 to 6am in the recliner with the heating pad on my upper back and neck and I feel like I need a good shoulder rub this morning, still. Just stiff and sore, I guess. My Belly is sore/tender and I move slowly, but I am moving all over the place at home. I feel rather normal, just slower and my tummy growls and gurgles. I am also surviving on ALOT less calories due to the liquid diet (still clear although I will add V-8 today...never thought I'd look forward to V-8!) so energy needs to be conserved. I am also not as clear headed/quick thinking as usual. Everything is slower and my world is smaller for now. It's working. And I feel fine!

So it's hard for me to be able to transfer what I am able to do and predict your ability to play and sing...how active are you on stage? Can you get away with a stool and microphone stand the entire show? One other issue I would think is the diaphragm...it's sore and uncomfortable to take deep breaths, although I do regularly, and I would imagine a little shortness of breath might effect your ability to hold a note, etc. The big issue for me would be, is this gig going to impair my healing in any way? If so, get a sub. Don't risk ripping internal stitches at your band or port, or just making the tissue inside tender and harder to heal up. Protect your band so it can give you a long healthy band life. It's just one gig. If you decide to push it and get away with it, you will probably be fine, just don't plan on doing ANYthing else for days before or after, just to make up for it. That's what I think, hope it helps!!

I think you should get a sub. YOu use your abdominal muscles to breath and to sing you need a lot of air, and you are not going to be up to par. You are recovering and you are going to be on a liquid diet its just too much stress.

Hi guitarman - welcome to LBT!

This banding experience has proved to be a little different in men then women. From what I remember, men seem to have a harder recovery then women - have no idea why.

Jonathan, Jack, Adam, Greg, Ryan, Wade, John..... maybe you guys could answer his question better!?!

Hi Guitarman -

I am a classically trained singer, and have a job as a church soloist. YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY CANCEL. I had my surgery on a Thursday, and 7 days later I went to choir practice which was a big, big, big mistake, even though I was taking it "easy". The band rests right under your diaphragm, so the deep breathing required for good support, and good support itself, is definitely an invasion of those healing areas. I would wait AT LEAST 3 or 4 weeks before singing.

JMHO.

One other issue I would think is the diaphragm... I would imagine a little shortness of breath might effect your ability to hold a note, etc.
I sing in groups purely as an amateur, but I can attest that Kathy and Donali are right. For me the trouble wasn't shortness of breath but just plain pain from my incisions. Guitarman, even if you heal very quickly you might have trouble singing with any power. So unless you're just doing breathy background vocals, my suggestion would be to let someone else sing. And as for the guitar, you might have a hard time resting the instrument against your body. I play seated, and my guitar rested right against an incision. And, not to be gross, but your incisions might start bleeding through your clothes if you put too much strain on your midsection: not an appetizing look for a wedding singer. (This happened to me while I was taking an exam.) So I vote with Donali: give yourself a break for a month or so. Good luck!

I am a professional lead singer in 2 different bands. If I was you, I would get a sub...4 days after surgery is TOO soon. You will be sore, possibly be suffering from gas pains and be VERY tired. Also, because they cut through your muscles, you will not be able to effectively use your diaphram for singing...give yourself time to heal before you gig...surgery is taxing on your body.

I don't know about anyone else but I was banded on 01/07/05 and I had shortness of breath for about 3 - 4 weeks, and I also had a problem taking in deep breaths due to the anasthesia.

I really didnt have pain it was the disconfort of not being able to take a deep breath that bothered me.

Hey Mark!

Welcome to LapBandTalk! I sing, but everyone tells me I shouldn't...LOL. I too am 40 (ugh), and got my Band this past Thursday. Here it is 4 days later, I am at work, which is a desk job, it is 1:30 pm and I am very whooped. i agree with the others, you should probably find a sub for at least this gig. I hope you recover quickly from your band. I too am in the DFW area, let me know when you perform, I'd love to hear ya!

Wow.........Thanks for all the replies. Man this is one great group of people and I feel very welcome already. I am taking y'alls (I'm Texan - I can't help it) advice and getting the sub. Thanks again.................