Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1c food 3x a day, I'm confused???

I'm newly banded, and have yet to be filled. (I'm guessing this understanding comes with time) What i don't understand is once at good restriction, how do you get in all your calories, in 3 meals? And sometimes, if you are well restricted, maybe you couldn't eat a cup? Sometimes that could be too much? Didn't most of you that lose/lost well, eat about 1,200 calories a day? How do you get that all in just 3 meals?

Also, how long after you eat can you drink? Is it 30min. or 1hour?

For the first 3/4 months, I averaged around 800-900 calories a day. Under a 1000 was my Dr's suggestion; and it wasn't difficult to get to - I had to use some will power / diet / exercise while waiting for proper restriction.

Since it took me to month 5 to get to my sweet spot, my daily calorie intake ranges from 1000-1200 a day...depending on how hard a workout goes. Those 3 meals range from 250-350 calories; along with a 100 calorie snack . Very rarely do I go over a cup of food, but my meals are pretty high Protein / veggies / whole grains...they tend to keep me satisfied a decent time between meals.

As far as drink after a meal - 30mins is my average. Sometimes more sometimes less - sometimes some wine w/my dinner (though not often).

It is all a bit confusing but it works out, and you are right that it will get better with time. But for now, let me see if I can help. Most docs, the ones that I know of anyway, say three meals a day but they also allow two or three "snacks" per day. My doc just calls them meals if they are over 100 calories, and says to eat every three hours regardless of what you call it.

I have what I consider perfect restriction (I have found my "sweet spot") and my calories range between 1100-1300 calories per day. I can only eat about 4-6 ounces of food at a time so I try to focus on my Protein first by following the 3-3-1 rule. It goes like this:

• Each meal should consist of:
    • A Protein the size of the palm of your hand or a single deck of cards
    • A fruit or vegetable the size of your cupped hand
    • A complex carbohydrate the size of your cupped hand
    • Note - you portion sizes will get smaller as you get more restriction but this is a good place to start

[*]Follow the 3-3-1 rule

• First have 3 bites of your protein
    • Next have 3 bites of your veggie
    • Finally have 1 bite of your carb

[*]Take small bites, chew very well, and pace yourself so you will know when you are full. (Using baby spoons and forks is a good way to train yourself to to take smaller bites.)

[*]STOP as soon as you feel satisfied. Do not overeat!

If you are hungry again in less than 2 1/2 hours, you probably didn't eat enough. If you are not hungry in more than 3 1/2-4 hours, you probably ate too much. You should adjust your portions accordingly beginning with your next meal.

I also have at least one Protein shake per day to be sure that I get the minimum required 80 grams of protein in per day (100 grams for men). I usually have two (one as Breakfast and one as my bedtime treat) because I workout a lot and my portions of solid food are so small now (and I like them), but one is enough for most people.

I use American whey Protein powder for several reasons.

1. It is lactose free (which often means less gas)
  2. It has very few sugars and no artificial sweeteners
  3. It has the highest protein per serving that I found (20g per scoop)
  4. It tastes GOOD! It is not watery or slimy. (The way I make it anyway, see recipe below.)
  5. The price is right. I buy at buildingbrawn.com

As for your question about drinking after a meal, the absolute best you can do is to wait an hour but that is often very hard to do. However, the minimum that you need to wait is 30 mins. so you don't defeat the purpose of the band. The reason for not drinking (in case no one explained it or anyone else is wondering) is that the band works by holding the food you eat in your stoma long enough for your brain to get the message that you are full with only a small amount of food intake. If you drink too soon after eating, the food is washed down through the band, into your vastly larger stomach (like flushing a toilet), before the message is sent. So you end up with all the calories that you just ate AND you are hungry again in a very short order.

To make the best Protein Shake you ever had, try this.

• In a personal sized blender (I use the Hamilton Beach personal blender with travel lid 51101; just Google it)
  • Add the following ingredients (in this order for best results)
    • 2 scoops American whey vanilla protein powder
    • 3 teaspoons Hershey's baking cocoa (it has no fat, no sugar, and only 50 calories and is crucial to the flavor and cuts down on the air bubbles)
    • 4 ice cubes
    • 1/2 to whole banana (the potassium benefit outweighs the "cost" of natural sugars in the banana)
    • enough Water to fill the cup

[*]Blend completely

[*]ENJOY completely!

Substitutions/Additions:

• For more Calcium use milk instead of water

• Add 3 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt

• If you add these ingredients, put them in the cup first and blend with the Protein Powder and cocoa before you add the other ingredients or the shake will not blend well.

Well, I know that is a lot of information to digest at once so I am going to stop. But please feel free to ask all the questions you want. I am full of ......opinions, yeah, opinions. I have also been banded for 18 months now and I have learned a few things, but I still remember how confused I was in the beginning too. You can PM me if you don't want to post your questions publicly, although others usually benefit when you do.

Good luck, and again, welcome to the losers' club! :cool2:

Laura, MD, Thank you sooo much for putting things into some logical prospective. I actually just printed out you post so I can leave it laying around to read and reread till I know it by heart. THanks you so much for the great direction. I get banded May 27, very excited, scared, emotional all of it. I am very nervous about the pre op diet week. I go to my pre op appt tomorrow afternoon and will find out all the details for that. From what others have said our surgen requires 7day liquids, some say its more like yogarts, Soups and the such, I'll see. Anyway, your post really made soooo much sense. thank you.

It is all a bit confusing but it works out, and you are right that it will get better with time. But for now, let me see if I can help. Most docs, the ones that I know of anyway, say three meals a day but they also allow two or three "snacks" per day. My doc just calls them meals if they are over 100 calories, and says to eat every three hours regardless of what you call it.

I have what I consider perfect restriction (I have found my "sweet spot") and my calories range between 1100-1300 calories per day. I can only eat about 4-6 ounces of food at a time so I try to focus on my Protein first by following the 3-3-1 rule. It goes like this:

• Each meal should consist of:
    • A Protein the size of the palm of your hand or a single deck of cards
    • A fruit or vegetable the size of your cupped hand
    • A complex carbohydrate the size of your cupped hand
    • Note - you portion sizes will get smaller as you get more restriction but this is a good place to start

[*]Follow the 3-3-1 rule

• First have 3 bites of your protein
    • Next have 3 bites of your veggie
    • Finally have 1 bite of your carb

[*]Take small bites, chew very well, and pace yourself so you will know when you are full. (Using baby spoons and forks is a good way to train yourself to to take smaller bites.)

[*]STOP as soon as you feel satisfied. Do not overeat!

If you are hungry again in less than 2 1/2 hours, you probably didn't eat enough. If you are not hungry in more than 3 1/2-4 hours, you probably ate too much. You should adjust your portions accordingly beginning with your next meal.

FANTASTIC POST! I'm 3 months post op and find it very helpful. But do have a question on your 3-3-1 rule ... is it "3-3-1" and then you stop eating completely or is it "3-3-1, 3-3-1,3-3-1, etc."? Does that make sense? As in you have your protein, veggies, complex carb do you ONLY take 3 bites prot, 3 bites veg, 1 bite carb per meal and you are done entirely? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

Interesting protein shake recipe, I"ll have to try it - I've not thought of adding something like cocoa powder.. thanks!

Lorrie1, I am glad I could help. as for the "liquid diet", you are right it is mostly things like yogurt and strained Soups etc. Basically, you are trying to shrink your liver before the surgery and not irritate your stomach afterward. My docs' rule of thumb was "If you can get it through a straw, you can have it". I almost had that NY Strip through the straw by day 7, but.....no, I am kidding. I was so excited and nervous about the surgery, and busy second guessing myself, it really went by quickly.

I started watching those shows on the Discovery channel like "Super Obese" and some others and thinking that I should be able to do this on my own, I shouldn't need the surgery, blah, blah, blah. Then I decided that I should not "should" on myself. This was something I wanted to do and needed to do so I could lose the weight and keep it off, once an for all! I wanted to be healthy, and now I am. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Back to the liquids, my hubby made me this awesome pumpkin Soup when I was on the pre-op and post-op diet and it was a lifesaver. It's not sweet so it does not taste like pie, it is a savory Soup that is very dinner like (I first had pumpkin soup at an upscale restaurant). Pumpkin has a lot of Fiber so it makes the soup really stick with you for a while and keeps things moving in the lower regions. You can also substitute butternut squash if you want. I have attached the recipe in a Word document. I think you will like it if you give it a try.

I also have a list of pre-op tips like doing all of your shopping including getting a stool softener ahead of time. The combination of pain meds and reduced Fluid intake (while you learn to coordinate you food/fluid intake) tends to constipate a lot of people and you don't want to strain, so a softener REALLY helps. You don't want to take a laxative because you have so little food intake that you don't want to rush the nutrients out of your body.

Anyway, I will look for that list and post it for you. Meanwhile, here is the pumpkin soup recipe.

Pumpkin Soup Recipe.doc

FANTASTIC POST! I'm 3 months post op and find it very helpful. But do have a question on your 3-3-1 rule ... is it "3-3-1" and then you stop eating completely or is it "3-3-1, 3-3-1,3-3-1, etc."? Does that make sense? As in you have your Protein, veggies, complex carb do you ONLY take 3 bites prot, 3 bites veg, 1 bite carb per meal and you are done entirely? I just want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

Interesting Protein shake recipe, I"ll have to try it - I've not thought of adding something like cocoa powder.. thanks!

Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something. Yes, you do the 3-3-1 and then repeat until you are satisfied. That way, if you get satisfied before "cleaning your plate", you have more of the protein and veggies than the carbs. If you finish all of your protein and veggies and you are still hungry, then finish your carbs to help tide you over for the next three hours.

The Protein shakes are very good with the cocoa and it is almost harmless as long as you use the plain baking cocoa, make sure you don't get one with added sugar or anything. The banana really helps too, especially if you have muscle aches from your workouts.

awesome tips Laura MD I too printed them out.

I do most of this but after 5 months post op I now realize I am leaning towards the softer food (maybe bc of an overfill experience). Not sure if I can get to the point of eating 3oz of Protein but I will make it my goal

thanks!

:wub:

I dont know what to do....

I had my lapband in Jan 2008. In March 2008 I had a 1 1/3 ml fill and to date have lost 22 lbs. I went to see the Dr yesterday and he said I am loosing to slow becuase I go to gym 5 days a week. He gave me another 1 1/2 ml fill and I cant even get medicaiton down. It gets stuck and hurts. Any suggestions? Will this go away in time? Its only been 24 hours since this last fill. What should I do?

For me, I to try to stay at 1C. including Protein, veggies and a tiny bit of fruit. I'm not really strict with this measurement as I think I'm probably eating close to 1 1/4C per meal at times, especially at dinner. This does keep me satisfied pretty well. I would like one more fill but may not be able to if I've reached my goal. My medical team said no more loosing after that.

Oh and they also say.........NO Snacks so I drink lots of Water in between and have an occasional diet cocoa. Do I get hungry? NO, its in my head, (old habits die hard)!! :thumbup:

I dont know what to do....

I had my Lap Band in Jan 2008. In March 2008 I had a 1 1/3 ml fill and to date have lost 22 lbs. I went to see the Dr yesterday and he said I am loosing to slow becuase I go to gym 5 days a week. He gave me another 1 1/2 ml fill and I cant even get medicaiton down. It gets stuck and hurts. Any suggestions? Will this go away in time? Its only been 24 hours since this last fill. What should I do?

Are you able to get water/liquids down? How big is your medication? Can you crush it for the time being? You could be a little bit swollen from the fill and from getting stuff stuck. I would say if you are able to get liquids down to drink plenty of Water to stay hydrated and to have Soups to get the nutrition in and let your swelling go down. Crush your meds if possible, if not possible then you may need to call your doctor and see what they suggest. It's probably not a bad idea to phone them anyways just to see what they suggest.

I was instructed to eat Protein first (all of it) then veggies, then starch if you still have room. Usually you don't. 80gm Protein is a very hgh protein requirement, we're supposed to only need 0.8gm/kg of lean body mass, which usually ends up around 60gm per day for most women. My new surgeon told me 75gm (I moved) which is much higher than the 52gm my original surgeon calculated for me. I think he tells his RNY patients that amount too, though.

Anyway, my only point is that you probably can't get 80gm per day without a Protein shake, but if your recommendations aren't that high, we shouldn't be using Protein shakes once we are at a good restriction level because the liquid calories don't work with the band (except after fills or when we are on liquids, of course). It's sort of confusing, but we should be able to get our protein needs from solid foods, and that stays in our pouch and keeps us full longer so we don't eat so much. But like I said, when you're aiming for such a high protein amound (and I know a lot of surgeons do tell their patients to take in 80-100gm/day) it's pretty much impossible without a Protein Shake of some kind.

I was instructed to eat Protein first (all of it) then veggies, then starch if you still have room. Usually you don't. 80gm Protein is a very hgh protein requirement, we're supposed to only need 0.8gm/kg of lean body mass, which usually ends up around 60gm per day for most women. My new surgeon told me 75gm (I moved) which is much higher than the 52gm my original surgeon calculated for me. I think he tells his RNY patients that amount too, though.

Anyway, my only point is that you probably can't get 80gm per day without a protein shake, but if your recommendations aren't that high, we shouldn't be using protein shakes once we are at a good restriction level because the liquid calories don't work with the band (except after fills or when we are on liquids, of course). It's sort of confusing, but we should be able to get our protein needs from solid foods, and that stays in our pouch and keeps us full longer so we don't eat so much. But like I said, when you're aiming for such a high protein amound (and I know a lot of surgeons do tell their patients to take in 80-100gm/day) it's pretty much impossible without a Protein Shake of some kind.

The same was explained to me. My Dr said if I got to 60grams of protein a day - as a woman, that was a great number to shoot for. I should not have to add a protein shake to get to that number - it should come from solid foods; though I will admit - the days I meet w/my trainer I do have an EAS Carb Control Shake (110calories / 17grams of protein)....this is to sustain the hard workouts.

If this works for many - great; honestly I can't stand drinking my food & it's not a long term solution for me.

And then to add more confusion. . .

I was just told by my doctor at my last fill that I should be trying to eat more solid Proteins compared to mushy Proteins. I was complaining about getting hungry every 3 hours (like clockwork) and I told him that I mostly eat chili (ground beef, beans) and stews. He suggested that I eat more solid proteins without the soup/stew base because this will sit in my pouch longer. So, I'm going to try and eat more solid chicken breast, hamburger patties, turkey burgers, etc. without them being in a thick stew base. Of course, that means more cooking. I've gotten spoiled using my crock pot once a week to avoid cooking for the rest of the week.

I had my Lap Band in Jan 2008. In March 2008 I had a 1 1/3 ml fill and to date have lost 22 lbs. I went to see the Dr yesterday and he said I am loosing to slow becuase I go to gym 5 days a week. He gave me another 1 1/2 ml fill and I cant even get medicaiton down. It gets stuck and hurts. Any suggestions? Will this go away in time? Its only been 24 hours since this last fill. What should I do?

Stay on liquids for a day or two and if it's the same you need an unfill.

You've been losing a pound a week and your doc says you're not losing fast enough??! Crazy. That's a perfectly good and normal weight loss rate.