Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm an exercise dummy!

I feel so lost in the exercise department! I have a membership to the YMCA and I go regularly, but I still feel like I dont know what to do when I walk through the door. I guess I am doing something right, because I am losing weight. But, I guess I am the kind of person that does better with structure. I went through my 3 "orientation" classes with the trainer at the YMCA, but I didn't get much out of it. They pretty much just show you how the equipment works and told me to start slow and work my way up. I am not in a position right now to afford a personal trainer, so I was hoping for some advice. This is what I have done so far this week.... it's a little of this and a little of that.

Saturday - 30 minutes on the elliptical ( I only had 30 minutes to spend)

Sunday - 2 1/2 mile walk outside. (Mostly walked but did a slow jog for 2 minutes then walked for 5)

Monday - 20 minutes on the bike (4.5 miles) then 20 minutes on the elliptical then upper body weights for 20 minutes.

Tuesday - swimming for 30 minutes with my girls and 30 minute walk outside

Wednesday - nothing... bad girl!

Is there some kind of program out there for exercise dummies like me? I like the idea of the couch to 5K thing because it is structured, but I am not sure I am comfortable enough with running yet still being 212 pounds. Why do I feel so lost?!?!?!

Hi,

Usually if you first join a gym, a staff or personal trainer would go through a fitness assessment. At least run discuss with you on your needs and that personal trainer will set up a schedule for you.

If not ask for a qualified personal trainer there (every gym has one) for consultations. Just doing long steady cardios has results initially but will be less effective thereafter.

Workouts at the gym should be intensive and challenging(adjusted according to your fitness levels) for fat loss results.

Otherwise, here is a recommended product , compiled by a recognized fitness expert ,and author of several publications - Turbulence Training - this will show you how to lose body fat and build muscle at the same time.

The key here is getting the nutrition right and using short effective workouts.

You have made a fantastic start! You'll find so many differing opinions on exercise, but I really think we've made it more technical today than it needs to be.

What you need is lots of cardio and some strength training to keep maintaining your body's lean muscle as you lose weight.

You've got the cardio bit down, just continue to push and challenge yourself. Try not to read too much about fat burning zones and the like, just remember that some days do a longer, easier session and other days work harder by putting in intervals (like your short jog in the middle of your work). Try to do cardio about five days out of seven.

For the strenght training bit, if you're a bit of an exercise novice, you would do well to either join a gym where they do a program for you or see a personal trainer for a few sessions. But basically what anyone will start you out on is working your body's biggest muscle groups - thighs, buttocks, abdominals and back/shoulders. If you can pick machines that target those then even 3 to 4 exercises is enough to start with, just pick the heaviest weight you can manage to do 3 sets of 12 with, making sure you're muscle is almost failing at the end.

Good luck!

Watching TV does not have to equal snack attacks and crashing for the day. Are you sitting in front of the television thinking, “I’m just a Couch Potato?” Let’s change those negative thoughts, right now. Working out during commercials is a good tip, but this one is even better: We’re gonna workout during the span of the whole show.

I am raising the bar.

I have a new challenge for you.

Grab your workout shoes, comfortable workout clothes and Water.

Here we go!

I love LOST. I like the complexity of the storyline and the characters. Not wanting to give up my favorite TV shows to workout, the evening turned into a great opportunity to mix up workouts while the little ones dozed off upstairs. My brain candy television time has turned into body improvement sessions.

This week during LOST, let’s focus on character recognition. An exercise is attached to each character. Every time the character pops up on the screen, complete a set of 10 exercises.

The Character Exercises

Jack: A Jack spotting? Start your jumping jacks. Yep, it’s obvious. it’s easy. At least I know you’ll not forget this one. Come on, when is the last time you did a jumping jack. No excuses, girl. You can still focus on his good looks and what he’s saying.

Kate: Kicks. Forward, to the side, backwards. Put a little umpf into that strong kick. Kate’s a strong willed girl. Let out the anger. Use the force. Mix up those kicks. Variety is key to staying engaged.

Sawyer: No drooling or mindless staring. I know your heart rate is already racing, so speed run in place. Let’s make that heart rate racing worth the effort for your bod! Let that bad boy be your motivation.

John: Tricep dips on the end of your couch. The cushions are great for those stabilizing muscles that support triceps. These are difficult. Since we have no idea what John is up, you’ll see the connection. Your couch can be an amazingly deceptive tool for fitness!

Sayid: Speed rope jumping is the only exercise that qualifies for Sayid’s intense focus and character. Pretend you have a jump rope and tackle this exercise with the zeal of a warrior or boxer!

Hurley: Trunk Twists from side to side. Keep your hips pointed toward the television and twist your upper body from left to right. Sweet and simple. Pull your abs in toward your spine and keep them tensed.

Claire and Aaron: Arm curls. As a mother, we know how often we are picking up baby. Grab a bag of potatoes if your little ones are already in bed. Couch potatoes, no more! Lifting a 3 to 10 pound bag–Now that’s a real workout.

The Rest of the Characters: Do you have an idea for a character move? Please share, it would be awesome to have a full body workout with every character attached to an exercise move!

Oh, and if Michael pops up on the screen, then everyone has to do 10 extra star jumps (start squatting low with fingers touching the ground, jump up and stretch out hands and legs in star form, and return to low squat) just because it’s what we predicted!

Let me know how the workout goes tomorrow and if you’d like a new workout for next week. For the non-LOST Fans, apply the character exercises to your favorite show’s characters. There’s no reason for you to be missing out on a good solid TV Workout.

Source --- http://www.goworkoutmom.com/build-your-body-while-watching-lost/

Go Lisa!

How about "bends" when you see Ben? (squats)

Leg Lifts when you see Juliette?

hehe -- you need one of those TVs powered by an exercise bike. :biggrin:

We TiVo, so no commercials to watch. And we watch TV so late at night, that if I exercised then I'd never get to sleep afterwards.

Instead, I use this as "unwinding" time. Stress relief. Particularly nice is to lie down on the couch with my head in DH's lap and have him stroke my hair. That slows my heart rate, drops my blood pressure, and practically puts me into a relaxation coma. A cat usually curls up by my feet and purrs, so I get a little foot vibration heat massage going on too. :thumbup:

Thankyou for the responses.

Jachut - You were actually one of the ones I hoped would respond. You have been an inspiration to me since I have been coming here. I would really love to be a runner one day. It seems so far out of reach right now though! LOL Maybe it will get easier when I get under 200 pounds, I dunno.

bxlisa - I'm not sure if I am a tv exerciser. hahah I might have to try it out. I dont watch a ton of t.v. cause my hubby is the remote control controller. LOL

Molly Molly - When I DO watch t.v.... I am all about the laying my head on hubby's lap and getting my hair stroked! That is so funny that you said that. But, it is also a problem for the whole exercise while watching t.v thing. less then 15 minutes and I am sound asleep!

Hey there! From the sounds of it, you're doing okay already! If you are feeling lost when you go to the gym, you might want to participate in group fitness classes. Most gyms offer the classes, included with the cost of the membership. I know that the YMCA over here includes all fitness classes along with the initial payment. Group fitness is always good because the instructors (if they're good!) will act informally as a trainer and give you advice for your workout, and you could even approach her or him afterwards for some personal advice. A good group instructor can also modify the workouts for you according to your fitness level. But you may want to let them know in private that you have had a Band surgically implanted in your abdomen....so that they don't make you do some crazy ridiculous Madonna yoga-move that irritates your port!!! :)