Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused what gym to use and what training to do :(

I have never been a big fan of exercise but I plan on getting into the groove of it because I refuse to fail at the band.

I have been walking 1-2 miles since my surgery 5 days ago. I know it's not alot but I know I have to do something. I was hoping that there was another girl on here that was in my situation that has succeeded. I am pretty sure I am gonna need some weight training along with the cardio to tighten up some of this flab.. but I am not the type to walk into a coed gym and just pick up weights and start doing my own thing.

Could someone recommend a gym preferably for girls with female trainers that wont look down on someone that hasn't been in the swing of things? I wondered about curves but I think they are more cardio.

Curves is women only. Even employees. I can't say it's a great workout, but it's ok for beginners, and it beats watching tv. Curves is a mix of cardio and resistance training (like low weight/high rep weights, kind of). You're at a resistance station, then you go to a cardio station, then resistance station, then cardio station...

My best suggestion, having been the totally paranoid girl at the regular gym -- just swallow the pride and shame, and go. Trust me, I was almost 400 lbs and I know the discomfort that comes with going to a coed gym. I know it perhaps better than most others. But a regular gym is going to be better long-term than something like Curves (IMO).

See if a local college has one they will let the public use, that's a little less "meat market" usually. Dh and I have a membership to the one our local CC uses and the stff is great, they're used to seeing a lot of college freshman who don't know how to use the equipment or what type of program to follow, so they're excellent when it comes to instructing you on the use, making sure you get it, etc. Plus they'll usually offer classes for little to to add'l fee - yoga, aerobics, etc. Maybe not for you now, but eventually.

Also, if you have a local Y. We had a membership there for about a year. It was a lot pricier than a regular gym (about $80/month, compared to $400 a year for the local gym, BUT our Y based your fee on income and DH and I were above their maximum income and were billed at their highest rate so we paid more than most others there. Which in principle pissed me off, but anyway... they told us avg for ppl to pay was about $25/month). Pro - onsite pool. Con - onsite pool was booked by the local HS swimteam 4/7 nights. Pro - lots of equipment choices. Con - workout rooms smelled like old sweat. Pro - good variety in physical condition, age, etc. Con - kids tended to go there in groups and would be extremely loud/obnoxious, and would always loiter right by the scale which I refused to get on if anyone else could see anything.

ETA: you really don't have to worry about walking into a gym and doing your own thing. Every gym I've belonged to, even the Y, scheduled you for a consultation with one of their "fitness experts" where you went over your stats, limitations, gas, etc. and they would design a sort of workout schedule for you... what to do, how much to do it, how often, etc. If for no other reason than liability, so they can show you how to use the machines, this is usually a required step. So it's not like you walk in blind and just do your thing.

Well I took your advice Wheetsin.... I stomped down to the most convenient gym location nearest me..... Threw down my 300 bucks and signed up.

I was obviously the fattest person there and the guys outnumbered the girls 2-1 but oh well. I spend 1 hour with the personal train on Weds this week.

My next question is I signed up for step classes has anyone ever done that? Can I hide in the back and stop when I need to lol.

Hehe, I tried some spinning classes at about 350 lbs and I'd have to just sit on my bike without moving, trying not to die, whilst the others continued their frantic pedaling. It was never an issue. I told the instructor after the class that I was sorry if I'd been an interruption, but it wasn't a necessary apology. They can't expect a first-timer, and an out-of-shape first-timer to be able to complete the entire workout.

I LOVE my Curves. Ive been going there regularly for more than six years. I originally lost 85 lbs just going to curves every day. As soon as I stopped going, is when I gained all my weight back and then some, then I had a baby, which sent me spiraling out of control....not the point...

the point is, Curves can be as intense as you make it. Some days I go and dont even break a sweat, and some days I go and really push myself, and come out pouring sweat. I reccomend curves. Ive been to other gyms like 24 hr fitness...but its so uncomfortable with all those gym rats...

The only thing about Curves is they are Christian oriented (not actually at the gym...or not at mine at least), but the organizations they support are usually christian groups. I dont necesarily agree with their politics, but they have helped me, and I am grateful for that!

I liked curves too. The workout definately varies with each person.

I go to LA fitness. I vastly preferred Gold's Gym, but there are none near me. The LA fitness is ok.

I loved deep Water aerobics. I used to do that an hour a day. Not available in Houston, that I can find. I don't want the walking in Water thing. I want the deep water aerobics. :smile2: