Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preventing Loose Skin???

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

I know that loose skin and it's reponse to your weight loss (in terms of firming back up) changes dependent on things like genes and speed of weight loss. Is there anything else? Is this a totally helpless situation or can you do something to aid this process? I am pre-band, so if there is anything I can do ahead of time I'll do it! If not, thanks anyway. I'm really new to all this, so I don't know yet.

I think it depends on age, how your shaped, how much weight you lose, how active you were during the weight loss, and how fast you lost it, and your own elasticity in your skin. Though I have heard that it is almost impossible not to have the loose belly skin because the skin on the belly is less elastic than other parts of your body. (That is what a lady who had lost 75 lbs told me...she was also the Patient Care coordinatoor at my Dr.'s office)

I worry about the same thing. Ive heard that excercise really helps, I have also heard that skim milk helps with the elasticity, I heard that when i was at weight watchers( you know one of the 100 or so times that i joined) HA.

I'm a believer in exercise - particularly lifting weights. The more muscle you have, the more calories/fat you burn. Plus, muscles give the body a more sculpted look. There's the dreaded "skinny-fat" look where you lose weight but are not necessarily in shape - I think exercise helps alleviate that condition. And it's really difficult for women to turn into She-hulks by lifting weights so I'd say go for it! If you're looking for reading material - check out Oxygen magazine. I've read it on and off for years and it's really inspiring.

things like genes and speed of weight loss. Is there anything else?
Speed of weightloss isn't as much of a factor as people tend to think. Your really heavy hitters here are going to include:

• Genetics, as the natural composition of your skin. Some skin is "stretchier" than others, e.g. the woman who has twins and doesn't get a single strechmark versus the 12 y/o whose hips gets covered with them through puberty. Fairer skin is often seen as less likely to stretch out than darker, and scarring of any type on darker skin is seen as more significant.
  • Overall health. e.g. smokers tend to have more issues with skin than non-smokers.
  • Duration and extent to which the skin was stretched out. If you're fat for a week and 12 y/o, your skin's probably going to be ok. If you're fat for a significant period of time, and not very young, you're going to have loose skin. Just like anything else, temporary stretches can usually be absorbed without deformation or injury, but long-term stretches will change the long-term shape.
  • Your predisposition to stretch marks (genetics, but from a different perspective). If you have stretch marks, you're going to have loose skin. I don't even know that there could be an exception to this. Strech marks come from breakdown, and once the skin is broken down, there's nothing to bring it back. Think of an old sock with old elastic. Once the elastic breaks or loses its ability to stretch, the sock will never be tight again. Same with your skin.

The role of weightlifting specific to its ability to shrink up loose skin -- misunderstood. It isn't some ability to actually reduce the volume of skin on your body. What it does is build muscle mass under the skin, making the "empty space" less, possibly causing the skin to appear tighter than it really is. In basic terms, it's the exact same result as gaining weight again. You lose weight, get saggy skin, gain it back, and your skin is a lot tighter than it was when you didn't have the extra weight, because it's "filling" the loose skin up. Building muscles will do the same thing.

I don't know how accurate this is but according to a couple of women I talked to at my dr's office, taking a Vitamin called Biotin helps with the excess skin. One of the women I talked to said that she took it from day 1 and I saw that her arms looked great, she has lost 125 lbs. She said that she did have some stomach skin but maybe that's because like someone else said, your stomach doesn't have as much elasticity.

Like I said I don't know how accurate their claims are as I haven't researched the Biotin yet but I did stop at Walmart that same day and buy a HUGE bottle. I'm a sucker.

I think I read somewhere (probably on here) that massaging the area helps. Not just a simple massage, though. It had to be a deep tissue-hurts like heck massage. She actually had a picture where she did it to one arm and not the other. You could DEFINITELY see a difference.

If that person reads this, can you confirm? Or has anyone else heard/read about it?

I think it was The Gh0st who was doing the massage. Not sure if she'll check in here, but try searching that username if you want to find her posts about it.

Was really glad to read this thread. Im a good milk drinker, moderate exerciser...never have tried the massage thingy and at this stage of the game im a massive flab ball! My arms are so flabby i swear i could take flight in a fierce wind storm! If anyone else has any suggestions other then a plastic surgery intervention bring them on please !!

the truth is it is what it is!!!! we shouldnt worry about these things y beacuse our goal is weight lose!!! and truth is we will prob have to have the skin removed any way! if not you were really lucky!!!

First pregnancy I gained 60 pounds and didn't get one stretch mark. Second pregnancy was three and a half years later. I gained only 40 pounds and was covered in them!!! Go figure.

I'm more worried about my arms than I am my stomach. That I can cover. Living in south Texas where it's hot most of the year, short sleeve and sleeveless shirts are the norm. I literally have mud flaps like a dang pick up truck! I'm willing to try anything. I've got Biotin on my Wal-Mart list for tomorrow!!! I also massage the arms after every bath with lots of moisturizer and exercise. My husband says I now feel "squishy". Great...... That's nice to know. As opposed to what? Dense?