Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worst dieting experience EVER...

OK, so I'm doing this protein-sparing modified fast diet, which is required by my nutritionist prior to surgery. This is not the pre-surgery diet, but a way to prove to them that I can follow a food plan. I am allowed only 9oz of meat daily.

So, I was struggling through it, barely making it. Today, there was a presentation by the CEO of my company held at the local Marriott. I didn't know attendance was mandatory until this morning.

I got there and they were serving a full Breakfast. I was so damned upset, watching 200 people eat while I drank Water. I am starving. Literally, STARVING. I couldn't handle this. Five hours later, I still feel like crying.

This diet has been the most traumatic food-related experience of my life. I am so stressed.

The only positive thing here is that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Today is my last day and I see my nutritionist tomorrow. After that, I will be going out for lunch. I will NEVER EVER do this diet again. I keep thinking Weight Watchers is a much better option.

I just can't wait to get the band. Six weeks after surgery, I think I will be eating real food. I am SO sick of MEAT, for now. I'd give my left arm for a salad or piece of fruit.< /p>

-Theresa

That's ALL you can eat is meat???

Good lawd. never heard of such a thing.

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing. How long do you have to do this?

Sounds like your nutritionist is a nut-job. I hope you are able to stick it out, if only to prove to YOURSELF that you can do it.

Yep, all I can eat is meat. It's called the protein-sparing modified fast diet. I am so sick of meat that I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian. hehe That probably won't happen but for now, I don't want to see another slice of deli meat for the rest of my life.

I have to do this for 5 days. Doesn't seem like that long, until you're actually doing it. I started on Monday. I go to see the nutritionist tomorrow and a urine test will be done to see if I've been compliant. This diet puts you in a state of ketosis, and ketones are measurable in the urine. I'd be shocked if I don't pass the test. I have been 100% compliant with this diet all week. The only slight issue was that I got a green tea (black, no sugar) from Dunkin Donuts the other day and when I took a sip of it, there was cream in it. I immediately stopped drinking it. I am pretty sure that won't affect the outcome.

After passing the test, I'm going out to eat. I plan on having REAL food.

After doing this, I'm dreading any pre-op diet I may have to do. I'm asking the nutritionist for ALL the dieting info (pre-op and post-op) at my appointment tomorrow.

Ok I'm confused. You can eat other stuff AND 9oz meat but only 9oz, or the only thing you are allowed to eat period is 9oz of meat?

Ok I'm confused. You can eat other stuff AND 9oz meat but only 9oz, or the only thing you are allowed to eat period is 9oz of meat?

I can eat 9oz of meat and that is all. It has to be divided into 3 oz portions over 3 distinct meals. I can also drink non-caloric beverages.

You can test yourself by getting some Ketostix. They're available from any pharmacy, sometimes OTC, sometimes you have to ask for them, but you pee on a strip and if it turns purple, you're in ketosis. If not, you aren't. I still think your nutritionist is on crack. The same thing can be accomplished by going very low carb without starving yourself. At least it's almost over. Hang in there! You've come this far, you can do it!

Oh, and a LITTLE bit of cream (as long as it wasn't sweetened) one time won't affect the test, I don't think.

I can eat 9oz of meat and that is all. It has to be divided into 3 oz portions over 3 distinct meals. I can also drink non-caloric beverages.< /div>
Ok, that's insane. :)

I still think your nutritionist is on crack.
Hope celticdreamer doesn't snort turkey out of her nose when she reads this!

I'm beginning to think this was a 'Psychological' Test to see how crazy you could get by eating nothing but meat all day long?!!!!

Congrats on passing your "Test", girlfriend!! And get yourself a good salad tomorrow--yummy! :smile:

You all are an interested combination of helpful and hilarious!

And, thanks, but I'm gonna pass on the offer to snort meat out of my nose. lol

Someone commented today that my face is looking thinner. It was nice to hear, but it doesn't really come near making up for five days of starvation! The difficulty of this particular diet has me sort of ambivalent about things. I guess that'll pass once I EAT tomorrow! :smile:

Does your surgeon actually sanction this? I mean, it's downright cruel and not healthy from any perspective. Hell, since they're asking you to demonstrate such crazy feats of will power, they can freaking send you to audition for Survivor! Even those guys are given a sack of rice. :smile:

It's one thing to make you jump through the hoops of 6m of supervised dieting, and all the tests/approvals that go with the prebanding stuff (psych consults, gallbladder ultrasounds, apnea tests, etc. etc.). But seriously, this just seems like somebody is pulling a 'hey, lets see if the fatty really wants this bad enough scenario', kwim?

Girlie, I know that you're less than 24hrs from being done with this crap, but I would give some long hard thought to whether this is the right doctor/nutritionist group for you. If this particular nutritionist (dunno if this is the only one available to you or if there's another one there) is being this evil so early in the game, I'd be scared as shit as to how mean she might be once you have the band and are having a rough time of it (as I expect we all do/will) early on.

hugs!

-m

Edited by dancinglamb

Hey Celtic,

I was on that crazy diet consistently for 5 months...until I started binge eating! Then I was on and off it for another 3! I was able to drop 50 lbs. Everytime I cheated I gained 5-10 and then would be caught in a vicious cycle on it which eventually ALL plus some returned! This is a big reason I got the band! My plan was a little more "flexible" ha. I was able to have 3 servings of certain vegetables with no oil or anything. I was mentally insane on that diet! I would be so afraid to even try a diet soda I had to ask someone else to taste it "just in case" the restaurant messed up. NUTS! Long story short- it is the hardest thing to do for even one day! Bottom line is DIETS DON"T WORK. THEY DEPRIVE. Through all my counseling, I am trying to not make food so important which is SO hard to do! To get you through the night- try sugar free flavor ice.:smile:

Oh my, Oh my I certianly hope you don't have other health issues. This is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I think I'd be looking for another group. You've just put your body into stravation mode and will probably gain extra weight when you go off of the diet. It seems a lot of doc's require a 2 week liguid diet(not mine thankfuly) but I think that is to make the surgery easier. Mine just flat tells you you need to lose x #'s before surgery if necessary at the very first visit. Good luck to you but seriously I'd be lookin elsewhere:eek: