Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the band right for me?

I am new here and have been reading this board a lot lately and I just can’t figure out if the band is the best choice for me. I am 5’2” and 204 pounds. I have always struggled with my weight but in my teens to my mid twenties I was doing great weighing about 130. I developed a new female health problem on top of the endometriosis I already had from my early teens. I spent 4 years before anyone finally figured out what was wrong with me, that I had horrible fibroids. During those 4 years the doctors gave me countless different type of drugs and hormones and even to the point of putting my body into a chemical menopause for six months. Needless to say I gained weight and gained weight. I don’t know if it was from all the crap they had me taking or from just being depressed about not knowing what was wrong with me or a combination of both.

I have tried every diet out there and it’s probably safe to assume that my metabolism is shot! I took phentermine last year and lost 20 pounds in 4 very expensive months… only to put it all back on and gain another 10! Sigh.

Anyway flash forward to now I don’t necessarily over eat all day but more at night. I don’t eat Breakfast because I am always so tired & running late & don’t have time in the morning, I usually eat lunch but then by some late afternoons and almost every evening I am starving and I eat anything I can find and I continue to eat. I don’t know if the band will help this??? I don’t know if the band is the right choice. Please any advice would be so appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for the long post :shades_smile:

When I learned of the band and how it works...it was a no brainer for me. But that's for me.

Keep up your search.... WLS may not be right for you. But if it is...you'll know it with every Fiber of your being. And when you learn of a WLS procedure and then you get that feeling...you'll know which one is right.

Good luck on your Quest.

Yes, the band ( with proper fill in it) can help. It will be harder for you to overeat at any one sitting and you should feel full faster and stay full longer.

You must choose the right food to eat, the band can't make chicken and a salad instead of ice cream jump into your mouth. "Slider foods" like Cookies and ice cream and chips will not stay in your pouch long enough to keep you satisfied so that's why you must choose to eat the right foods.

I am older than you, have been overweight (except for a few brief periods) since I was 10. I now weigh the least I have, in probably twenty years. I can't say I'm losing fast, but I'm losing.

Learn as much as you can about the band and then attend a seminar near you. There are some very good threads here on the forum about "how the band works" that can be very helpful.

I am new here and have been reading this board a lot lately and I just can’t figure out if the band is the best choice for me. I am 5’2” and 204 pounds. I have always struggled with my weight but in my teens to my mid twenties I was doing great weighing about 130. I developed a new female health problem on top of the endometriosis I already had from my early teens. I spent 4 years before anyone finally figured out what was wrong with me, that I had horrible fibroids. During those 4 years the doctors gave me countless different type of drugs and hormones and even to the point of putting my body into a chemical menopause for six months. Needless to say I gained weight and gained weight. I don’t know if it was from all the crap they had me taking or from just being depressed about not knowing what was wrong with me or a combination of both.

I have tried every diet out there and it’s probably safe to assume that my metabolism is shot! I took phentermine last year and lost 20 pounds in 4 very expensive months… only to put it all back on and gain another 10! Sigh.

Anyway flash forward to now I don’t necessarily over eat all day but more at night. I don’t eat Breakfast because I am always so tired & running late & don’t have time in the morning, I usually eat lunch but then by some late afternoons and almost every evening I am starving and I eat anything I can find and I continue to eat. I don’t know if the band will help this??? I don’t know if the band is the right choice. Please any advice would be so appreciated.

P.S. Sorry for the long post :shades_smile:

Hi it sound like my life before June 22,2007. I never ate breakfast , I would eat lunch and I was starving and eating everything while I was cooking supper. Now I eat a high protien granola bar for breakfast, Soup or a healthy choice for lunch , Have a fruit snack in the afternoon, after work I go to the Y and work out then I go home and fix supper and I am never starving!!!

This band was such a blessing for me. I used to be so hungery at night that I could not make good food choices. The band has really helped me change all that. I am not a fast loser but a slow and steady plotter. And yes if I had to I would do it all again. Good luck in making your decision just make sure it is the right one for you!!!

In my opinion, the band is for people with a lot of patience and a willingness to really work at following the lapband rules. It's not a quick fix but more of a lifetime change. You will still have to watch what you eat very carefully but you won't be feeling hungry so it will be easy (after you have the proper amt of restriction which might take months) If you need to lose a lot fast and don't have much self control, then I wouldn't suggest the band. The by-pass might be better. Hope that helps.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful responses. They really help!

I guess in my own head I feel guilty and like I shouldn't spend all this money (I don't spend money well :thumbup:) and I am trying to justify to myself whether to have the surgery or not.

Half of my support group has been saying OMG Jes just do it (especially my mom since diabetes and heart problems run on my dad's side and my mom's side has heart problems too and pretty much everyone is overweight).

The other half of my support group had been saying "Jes you only have about 80-83 pounds to lose, why not spend about a quarter of the money on a trainer?" Only! HA easy for them to say when they are all thin or maybe 10-20 pounds over.

I've tried many medically supervised diets (liquid and phentermine) and lost weight but it never stays off after I stop the shakes or I stop taking the pills. I guess I have never really had to face and correct my eating habits and I have this idea that the band will FORCE me to do it..

Sorry I am just going on and on but I cry about this everyday and just am scared to have the surgery and I am scared to NOT have it...

Thanks for listening or rather reading :thumbup:

Jes

I was a lot like you, Jes. The money was really what kept me from doing it sooner......but my husband and I talked about it and decided that we've made some good financial investments, so what is the difference in making a health investment.

My HBP/cholestoral meds are running right around $100 a month....my knees are giving me fits and who knows where that is headed....so in the long run, I figured I can spend the money to improve my health or spend the money to play a catch up game trying to maintain my health.

You'll know when and if it's right for you.....just listen to your inner voice. We really do have a strong sense of what is right if we just quiet ourselves and listen!

Hi SouthernGirlTx,

I saw your post and thought we share similiar experiences. I am new to this site and am figuring out how it all works, but I would like to keep in touch with you because I think we can help each other.

I'm waiting for my band (4/7) but like you I used to never eat breakfast and was always straving in the evening. I know I sound like the soap box but do what you have to do to break your cycle now. It is my experience that a very High protien breakfast will keep me more satisfied and less hungry in the evenings. I actually do a shake of rice protien powder, vitalife(puritan pride), banana & Water. Sometimes I add ground flax seed especially if I have been feeling hungry late afternoon. This gives me 30 grams of protiens in about 150cals. I'm still having the band because after finally figuring out some of how to eat right I have 190# to lose. If you think this is right for you don't let people talk you out of it. If you are just thinking about doing this make sure to continue to get documented medically supervised weight loss help because most insurances require 6-24 months. If you are self pay it won't matter. If you can get to a really good wls seminar I believe it would be very helpful. Look for a Dr with a program not one who just does the surgery.

The band is a great tool but like all "tools" you need help to learn how to use it and what to expect from it. Unlike me don't waste a few more years thinking you can do it on your own. Statistics prove that is seldom the case and why should you spend any more of of some of the best years of your life trying to do what likely will not happen. I hope you will stay in touch and good luck in your Quest for the right answer for you.