Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Much Information

Friends - I am shocked. After a 3 day weekend away with no scale, I climbed on this morning. I have GAINED 3 terrible pounds. Unacceptable. What could have happened? All the healthy grilled fish! All the steamed vegetables and green salads! All the walking! All the vigorous anniversary sex! (I warned you)

I suspect sodium. Seriously, in a fit of irritation, I went to the websites of the restaurants we visited over the weekend, intent on looking at the nutritional information. I was sure I would find hidden carbohydrates in their salmon fillets, or fat in their steamed broccoli. To my horror, none of the restaurants even HAD nutritional information posted (shame on them!). However, I did learn that you have to ask if you want them to NOT put butter and seasoned salt on the steamed veggies. I also learned that fish is often grilled in butter unless you request otherwise. Sneaky stuff.

I have told myself that the weight gain is a result of Water weight from the increased sodium content of restaurant food. Not sure if this is true, but it makes me feel better. I shall not change my ticker. I shall not get depressed and eat a pint of ice cream I shall not try to do a whole Tae Bo DVD in order to burn off those lbs. I shall drink a lot of Water today and hope for better thing during tomorrow's weigh-in.

Don't get discouraged Becca...you are doing awesome!!! My scale has gone up and down more times than a freaking roller coaster!! I'm close to just chucking it out the window!!! You are probably right about the sodium. Did you have any alcohol? That's a sure fire way to up the numbers on the scale for me!! Perhaps TOM? I know it's sucks to see a gain but it's sure to be Water weight just fluctuating around in your new slimmer bod!! Keep doing what you're doing, give yourself a few days and I'm sure those numbers will dip again!!

Happy Anniversay!!

Amy

It was the result of.....blissful happiness. That'll get you everytime. Now that you are good and pissed the weight will fall right back off! =)

Becca, I don't think it was the butter. I eat butter all the time (margarine has carbs). It sounds like you behaved yourself really well so I know it has to be frustrating. Don't worry, it will go back down and then some. You just can't tell sometimes why the scale moves the way it does. You could be retaining Water for one reason or another. Just keep on track and it will happen. (I'm proud of you for not resorting to the ice cream)

You ladies are awesome. Gibson - you crack me up. Amy - you're so sweet - I needed to hear that! We didn't actually drink anything (I didn't want to waste 300 calories on a glass of wine, although it was tempting!) Karen - here's the funny part about the ice cream. We had a little get-together at a friend's house tonight and they actually SERVED ice cream as a snack, and I didn't even have a taste! I was proud of me too!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's so nice to have a place to vent or share victories and know that everyone can relate because they're going through the exact same things!!

Becca,

Focus on your stupendous weight loss to date. All that is not on you!!! Three pounds could also be waste products. Drink a lot of Water and go back to your Proteins first and those pounds will melt off. Don't forget, inches matter more. Don't stress out too much on the scale. You had a good time. go right back.:thumbup:

jnbwilds, OMG! I know you so aren't too tripping over that! C'mon, you are half-way to your goal and you are doing fantastic. Be proud girlfriend! I always gain three pounds during that TOM in a day, it's all Water (not to say this is what happened to you, but most likely it's water) -- and one thing I NEVER do is move my ticker UP!! That little sucker stays until "it" goes (weight). Even if that means staying the same for a month. And, yes, it always does start co-operating at some point! :wink2:

Does anyone know why I am getting a pain in my back after eating? I was banded on Feb 19th. I am eating very slowly and chewing, chewing, chewing but sometimes I get a pain right in the between my shoulder blaids. I have not had any fills yet so I don't know if maybe I am sometimes eating too much????

Jeannie -- yes, the pain in your back is normal. You might be eating too much; it usually happens when your diaphragm gets irritated. Try a heating pad to see if it will give you some relief. I used to get this all the time but not lately. (knock on wood)

Okay, I'm in the same boat that Becca was in when she started this thread! This past week we've been eating out quite a bit. I've tried to make good choices and my daily calorie intake is generally VERY low (less than 1,000 by a considerable margin). Saturday night we went to Olive Garden and I gave in and had one Italian Margarita (YUM). It is a margarita with a shot of amaretto in it. Probably contained my entire daily caloric intake in one glass! LOL (I don't even want to think about the carbs!) Then on Easter Sunday we had a picnic by the pool with honey baked ham (which was okay nutrient wise), and I also had about 1/8 cup each of baked Beans and macaroni salad. I also had one of my no sugar rum drinks. Um, wait, I had two. (ouch) ANNNNYYYYWAY!

I stepped on the scale Monday and had gained two lbs. And no I'm not changing my ticker cause it's not going to stay that way! I immediately got back on track and did well yesterday and today intake wise and also spent some time in the yard mowing, weeding and such trying to increase my activity level. I'm usually pretty sedentary during the day trading stocks so I'm trying to move more.

I just re read this thread and it helped to remind me that sometimes we don't do so hot and have to get refocused, and other times, the scale sometimes goes up for no apparent reason. In my case, I think I got a little lax but I didn't think I was THAT lax. I didn't log my food cause we were eating out so much it was impossible for me to figure out what I ate, but I have changed that as well and told the family that they can eat out but I'm eating from home where I can count what I eat.

That's it from me. Just wanted to rant a little.

Thanks for listening!

Karen,

you'll get back in the groove in no time. i do remember seeing somewhere on this site that weight isn't counted till it's there for 3 consec. days.

maybe that'll help

amanda

Unfortunately it has been three days and I'm still sitting around 233. Still not counting it though. I think I may be starting to get close to that time of the month so that could be a cause as well. It's hard for me to track anymore since I'm perimenopausal and it happens whenever and however it wants to anymore.

I'm still having a hard time getting calories in but trying my darndest. The good news is that I still really can't eat a lot. I made a great dinner tonight and put measured portions on my plate. It looked like a lot but I could only eat half of it. 4 oz of pork tenderloin, less than a half cup of rice and tomatoes, maybe half a cup of steamed brussel sprouts. Still needed more calories but I was full. I keep forgetting to eat during the day though and that is probably my problem there. I'll get the hang of this eventually and will figure out what works.

Thanks Jack! I always value your opinion and guidance. I was actually thinking today that it had been a few days since I had umm been productive LOL Maybe some MOM is in order!!!

Going to be working in the yard again tomorrow so hopefully the increased activity will help as well.

Jeannie,

i too get a pain and heard it is because i etiher ate too much or too fast. my happens on the top of my left shoulder by my neck and a little down my back. it happens about 20 minutes after i eat. wish it would happen right when i'm suppose to stop so i would have that for Pre sign not a punishment sign. lol

also if it is in the middle of your back let you doctor know if it continues. it isn't uncommon for banders to have gall bladder problems. i know 3 banders that have the gall bladders removed. i used to years ago get pain in the middle of my back and it was gall bladder attacks. haven't had any in about 3 years.

it is hard for me to slow down, i'm eating i'm sure 1/2 as fast but maybe that is still too fast. till i get a fill i might be eating too much also :thumbup: but i'm not too down about that until i've had 3 fills! lol

jeanie

Here is a thought....what if sex makes you gain weight? I told my husband that and he is sure that it is just another consipracy for women to get out of sex. But I told him, you can never be too sure and it is better to be safe than sorry.