Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfinished Lap Band Surgery?

This is my worry for me too. I have to lose 40 more pounds before they will give me a surgery date. I am VERY apple shaped. I am affraid the tools won't be long enough to get through my fat. My BMI is currently 56. They won't do surgery until it is 50. I would like to know what brands of liquid shakes people are using that they like. I had an Atkins today and I thought I would throw it up. It was terrible. There is no way I could drink 5 of them a day for 2 weeks. Good luck to you. One day at a time.

I like the lo carb EAS shakes, 110 calories, 17g of protien and I think 3 or 4 of Fiber. These are the only ones i can even remotely tolerate.

I started my 2 week liquid pre-op yesterday. It hasn't been that bad. I am a total apple shape as well, Panda. While I read your post, the first thing I thought of was "apple shape! oh no!". The more I read, however, I agree with the others about the possibility that the doctor was not completely up front with you. As far as the 30 pounds-if I can get through 48 hours on Isopure and raw veggies while juggling work and school and not smoking then I know you can lose that 30! Look at all you've already done! You should NEVER feel like a failure! You lost more weight than I ever could on my own. You should be proud. The doc's reasons may or may not have been on the up and up, but I do believe that God didn't want that band on you that day. Hang in there and all will fall into place!

I understand the depression part, but you just have to hold on. I sound like a greeting card from the dollar store-but it's true! My bi-polar has made this experience even more interesting than expected. That's how I sound when I'm in a decent mood. Otherwise I would have said "this sucks and I want to eat my feet!"

Bless you and best of luck!!!

I've heard of people not getting the surgery because the liver was too large and slippery. My friend Dawn said that when she was waking up from her surgery there was a guy next to her that the doctor was telling him they couldn't put the band in because they could tell he didn't follow the pre diet and his liver was too slippery and he couldn't move it. But, if that was your case, then the doc would have told you this. It is a weird situation indeed.

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. It is surgery after all.

This is my worry for me too. I have to lose 40 more pounds before they will give me a surgery date. I am VERY apple shaped. I am affraid the tools won't be long enough to get through my fat. My BMI is currently 56. They won't do surgery until it is 50. I would like to know what brands of liquid shakes people are using that they like. I had an Atkins today and I thought I would throw it up. It was terrible. There is no way I could drink 5 of them a day for 2 weeks. Good luck to you. One day at a time.

My favorite tasting one is powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. They have chocolate, vanilla, unflavored and chicken Soup flavor. ( I don't like the strawberry sorbet.)

But "Pro-Rated" is the one I use most. It keeps the "full" feeling longer and has more protien per shake than Unjury. I was also recommended EAS, which I just recently purchased but haven't used.

To change up the flavors I use Non-Fat Milk, Light Soymilk, Light vanilla Soymilk, Light chocolate Soy Milk mixed with sugar-free syrups.

Syrup2u.com (This site offers other Syrup brands in a variety of falvors. Stick with sugar-free.) :huh2:

I started my 2 week liquid pre-op yesterday. It hasn't been that bad. I am a total apple shape as well, Panda. While I read your post, the first thing I thought of was "apple shape! oh no!". The more I read, however, I agree with the others about the possibility that the doctor was not completely up front with you. As far as the 30 pounds-if I can get through 48 hours on Isopure and raw veggies while juggling work and school and not smoking then I know you can lose that 30! Look at all you've already done! You should NEVER feel like a failure! You lost more weight than I ever could on my own. You should be proud. The doc's reasons may or may not have been on the up and up, but I do believe that God didn't want that band on you that day. Hang in there and all will fall into place!

I understand the depression part, but you just have to hold on. I sound like a greeting card from the dollar store-but it's true! My bi-polar has made this experience even more interesting than expected. That's how I sound when I'm in a decent mood. Otherwise I would have said "this sucks and I want to eat my feet!"

Bless you and best of luck!!!

I don't think the apple shape alone is the problem. I think it's that my fat is the thickest around my belly button. As far as them not being on the up and up, I can't imagine what could have happened for them to pull me off the table. I guess no matter what happened, I am alive and they made the right decision.

I am feeling better today btw. I had asparagus for dinner last night and a V8. I know it wasn't the protien I should have had, but I just wanted a different set of flavors and something to chew on.

I've heard of people not getting the surgery because the liver was too large and slippery. My friend Dawn said that when she was waking up from her surgery there was a guy next to her that the doctor was telling him they couldn't put the band in because they could tell he didn't follow the pre diet and his liver was too slippery and he couldn't move it. But, if that was your case, then the doc would have told you this. It is a weird situation indeed.

Yeah, it is wierd whatever happened. They told me everything else was fine. Maybe they just miscalculated how much I actually needed to lose. If you saw me, you'd think I was smaller than I am. I am very tall and as far as fat girls go "thin" everywhere but my tummy. So....maybe they weren't hiding something, but still so wierd.

It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. It is surgery after all.

True, but I wonder if I went to a new surgeon if I would have to start the process all over again?

HI, pan

you know, you can ask to see your x-rays, and the doc. explain it to you, of what he sees, is the problem or an other doc. in his field. or buy your x-rays to see for yourself. some one can give you an answer,

so you don't have to wonder so much, and worry .. ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

margie

b 4/5/04

removed 1/23/08

THE MORE WE ASK THE MORE ANSWERS WE GET..

If it were me, I'd schedule an appt with the surgeon and just tell him, that I need to hear an explanation, that I can understand,( layman's terms) ( with diagrams if needed) of what happened. I would feel entitled to that. A short explanation after a person is still groggy from the anesthesia would not be enough for me.

I would also want to know why they felt changing the laproscopic procedure to an "open" one was not considered or if it was considered why they didn't do it that way.

If the explanations made sense to me, then I would be ok with it, if it didn't make sense then I'd want to know that now. Remember your surgeon was not the only person in the OR and if there was something wrong that shouldn't have been, I would want the hospital to investigate, this would require interviewing any other Dr., nurse, sugical tech and the anesthesiologist that was in the OR. Their memories of what happened will be better right after the event, not months later.

We all know things can happen beyond the Dr's ability to control, but mistakes happen, too.

Hospitals have protocols in place for possible mistakes. Peer to peer reviews etc. A group of surgeons review the notes and interview the other people in the room and decide if appropriate treatment took place.

If you already feel the Dr.s explanation makes sense then I understand. I was not there to hear his explanation, maybe you feel it was complete and acceptable.

hi, pan

at times, they want to see, how you can do, but, for doctor's is how your health, and if you can , cause is not the band, that's going to do it , it's you

and if you can give your body a starting chance , now, you got to do it , any way, start now, this is the band, so we can eat 4oz. of food 3 to 4 or 5 times a day, so just, think of how much you have to do now,

with the band is for five years , more or less, you got to start now, to get use to is, your getting a head start on it, is for your health and life....

-----------------------------------------------------------------

margie

4/5/04

removed 1/23/08

WHEN YOUR RUNNING A RACE, YOU PRACTICE, FOR EACH MILE.........

I hope you are not self pay.

My surgeon told us (my SIL and I went to get banded together) that if it was not possible to do it laproscopically he would close up. He would not open to do a band. He said he has patients that he knew that was the only option, but he would not switch from one to another! My SIL was concerned, because she had some bad adhesions.

I too am apple shaped, and thin elsewhere---and he explained how difficult it made this surgery---told us about the strength it takes to hold the instruments, about them getting bent----pretty much all the same things. I went to surgery at 283-286 somewhere in there---but even with all the weight I have lost, the last place it is coming off is my belly---I believe it IS made of concrete or some such substance!!!

It is my opinion--and that is all it is----basically that they tried repeatedly to do your surgery, and eventually they were likely afraid of causing damage to your liver, or your stomach---so postponed you.

In hind sight-----this is telling you how right you are to make the decision to be banded! Apple shaped is dangerous, it puts such stress on our organs---and it sounds like yours were being seriously compromised!

I am sorry you had such a time of it--but just imagine, you will have lost almost 100 pounds on your own pre op---then the weight coming off after being banded finally----you will be so far into the game already!!! Losing that much pre op is an amazing feat-----be proud of what you have done!

Kat

Pandagirl, just visiting this thread to see if you've gotten to the bottom of the real issue.

Was the technician drunk? Did the doctor drop your band on the floor and it broke?

Something happened, indeed!