Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question.. bout the fil neddle??

just a question..

havnt gotten a fill yet im 9 days post op..

my question is a and im sure its been posted but i couldnt find it..

does a fill hurt?? i got a really big fear of neddles and i tense up n cry ... so any adice wat to expect would help thanks :blink:

Let me tell you...I was where you are and thought this was going to be horrible.

The size of that needle! hahah, no...just kidding.

But for real, you lie on your back and raise up your shirt and tuck it under the breast area (in a bra if you are wearing one)

They take this needle w/ syringe and get it ready.

But they spray something on the area to numb it. And you really don't think it's gonna work...that you will indeed feel something.

Watch as they take the needle and insert it .... you are gonna look harder because you didn't feel anything and you want to ensure they are doing it.

They did! And a few seconds later you are done! No pain at all.

Don't worry, you are normal.

I was so worried when I got my first fill I got sick and let me tell you it is not bad at all. I hate needles and am the BIGGEST baby and I mean it - it isnt bad. I will say if you carry most of your weight in your tummy (mine is below the waist lol) you might like the numbing agent - but my port isn't too deep and I swear it really doesn't hurt - it hurts less than when I get blood drawn. Seriously.

In fact, one fill I had the numbing shot and that was a bit worse than going without it. I promise you-it isn't bad at all. Try not to build it up in your mind - we wouldn't lie to ya.

mary

if you have a fear of needles just ask the fill person to use some lidocaine first and or spray topically and this should help, it should not be any more uncomfortable than a flu shot .

I had my first fill 5 1/2 weeks after surgery. I was a little nervous but it didn't hurt at all. My surgeon actually does my fills and he didn't numb me first. It's a tiny little stick and is over before you know it. It's completely normal to be nervous the first time. You'll do great!

Jenn

My doctor doesn't numb me and it feels no different than any other injection. The stomach area really isn't that sensitive so it doesn't hurt as much as a blood draw. I was really worried about it but it was not bad at all.

I had my first fill 5 1/2 weeks after surgery. I was a little nervous but it didn't hurt at all. My surgeon actually does my fills and he didn't numb me first. It's a tiny little stick and is over before you know it. It's completely normal to be nervous the first time. You'll do great!

Jenn

I've been banded since Mar 04, and have gone thru my share of fills, and I can tell you that most everyone goes thru the same issues with getting that first fill.... like mentioned above, some people like to get numb first and others prefer just to go without it. I've done it both ways, and for me it's better to just go without it, the numbing to me was more of a stick and sting then going without it. But nothing to panic about. I did try the Spray (Cold) and that worked good too, so maybe to avoid mutiple needles have them use the spray, and see afterwards if you think you even needed that.

Take Care:cool:

I was 3 Months Post-op When I Got My First Fill. Now You Must Understand That I Am A Baby When It Comes To Needles Too & My First Fill Hurt Like Hell. I'm Not Trying To Scare You, But I'm Being Honest. However, My 2nd Fill Was Nothing. Didn't Even Know He Had Done It. My Surgeon Is My Fill Dr. As Well, And He Is Great!!!! I Guess That 1st Time Maybe I Was Still A Little Sore & Sensitive In The Port Area Which Is Why I Hurt. I Don't Know.

Had my first fill yesterday and after they gave the numbing meds.....I didn't feel anything. So don't worry about the needle.

help help!

I go Monday 2/1 for my 1st fill with fluro??? (not sure i spelled that right)

What kind of fill is that and how will the doctor do it??????

Fluoro is a fill with x-ray. I just stand with my back to the machine, drink a mouthful of barium, and they take an x-ray as it's going down. They also may take an x-ray before placing the needle to check for your port location.

I don't get numbing and the needle doesn't hurt. Actually, the only pain with the procedure is pulling off the bandage later.

I am the biggest baby ever when it comes to blood, needles, and IVs. I've passed out when they try to take my blood, passed out when my kids or husband is bleeding, and had a seizure thing when they try to give me an IV and it just sucks. BUT this was NOTHING!!! Just a little pick!! You lay on the table and cant really even see what they are doing. The needle stick itself really doesn't hurt. If you get fills like me (no numbing) where they don't do fluoro, the part that will be most uncomfortable on your first fill is them pushing around your port site with their fingers, trying to feel where it is. You are still healing inside there, even if the incision is closed on the outside. Hope you have an easy to find, uncomplicated port!!! Close your eyes, remember to breathe and it'll be a piece of cake.

Just close your eyes and don't look at the needle!