Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery 2/25... need help

I had lap band surgery and my gallbladder taken out at the same time. I am not sure if the two are causing me these issues but I don't know what to do. I went in weighing 235 and this morning I weighed 222. From what it seems that is too much weight too fast but I am having a problem on the liquids. I can't take drinking the sweet stuff anymore, between the sugar free pudding and Protein Powder I have had it. I am trying to drink some chicken broth right now but it is making me feel light headed and hot (may not be the broth)?? I definitely don't think I am getting in enough Protein or fluid... but when i drink i get a sharp pain in my chest. The doctors office told me to try some mylanta and i did take it about an hour ago. I guess i don't really have a question but more of did anyone else go through this or can someone give me some advise??

First of all, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time and I hope you feel better soon. I felt pretty good post-op but got sick of the same old liquids fairly quickly. The last thing you want to have happen now is to get dehydrated. Try having sugar-free popsycles, they don't offer alot of nutritional value but will at least help keep you hydrated. I know you're sick of the sweet drinks and such but maybe get some ensure, slimfast, or even carnation instant Breakfast, anything that will give you some Protein. For now, you might even want to try drinking some gatorade.

It sounds like you've lost alot of weight quickly so it might not be a bad idea to have a milkshake and add some Protein Powder to it.

I would suggest that if you're still feeling this way over the weekend, that you make an appoinment to see the doctor just to make sure everything's okay.

I hope I was helpful! Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're feeling.

Jenn

4 days out is not fun! You are in the worst of it right now, soon you will turn the corner and feel 100% better each day!

Your weight will be up and down, I varied by 10lbs in a matter of days, due to the anethesia and the fluids they pumped into you via IV. Understand fully about the sweet thing and by day 4, I was exactly the same! Creamy Soups, broth and soupy mashed potatoes could not come soon enough! But follow your doctors orders. And.... although it added no nutritional value when I started drinking PLAIN Water, I felt so much better!

My frustration was at my all time high on days 3/4....hang in there, you should see some good improvements in the next couple days!

Hello,

I have'nt heard anyone say Water yet. That is the secret. Drink your Protein bullets. Mix them with whatever! I like yogert and orange juice with the fruit punch Protein Shots. Having your appendix out is a double shock to your system I would not hesitat going to the ER and getting an IV. It might take longer but they could monitor your vitals.

Take care of yourself!

later

yokes

I am sorry to hear that you're feeling badly. Quite a double whammy to have your gallbladder taken out too.

I know the sweet stuff gets old quickly, but you have to stick to your doctor's orders. Doesn't sound like you're getting in enough liquids or Protein. sugar free popsicles are a good way to go for hydration if you are having a hard time with Water, juice and broth. As for the Protein, you really need to do your best there because you can't heal if you're not getting enough protein. There are unflavored protein powders and I know unjury makes a chicken Soup one so you can get it in without having the sweet shakes and powders. Sip slowly. I have to watch the clock because it's so hard not to guzzle, especially if you don't care for the taste.

You're bloated after surgery anyway so your weight will fluctuate a lot but that does sound like a big weight loss, so maybe discuss that with your surgeon. You're probably just having gas pains, also. I had and still have it and it does cause chest pain sometimes. For me Gas X strips work the best.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Have you checked your blood glucose levels since you have been on the liquids?

I have not checked my glucose levels... don't have anything to do it with. I would definitely be interested to see where they are. I should probably also mention that I have had diarrhea since the second day of surgery and all day long not to be gross but it's basically water... I am not sure if that is ok. I am really scared I am not getting enough fluids but even before surgery I was never a big drinker and it doesn't help that every time I drink it hurts. I also feel like I have to burp but I can't and instead I have a sharper pain from trying! I have my one week follow up appointment on Tuesday but I don't know if I can make it!!! I ordered a tasteless Protein powder on 2/18 but unfortunately something went wrong with the mail and I have still not gotten it. I am just so ready to be over all of this and second guessing myself for even doing it to being with!!! Thanks for all of the responses... it helps.

I am doing much better... but still second guessing my decision. I still have pain at the port site but my surgeon is making me go back to work tomorrow. I wanted to stay out one extra week due to starting a new job and having new responsibilities but they wouldn't let me. I have lost 20 pounds but that was during the first 8 days... since then I haven't lost any. Which is really discouraging since I eat 1/4 of what I used to eat and have been walking on the treadmill. I know this is normal I just wish I would start to lose some soon so I don't keep thinking I did this for nothing. I have not cheated once which is really good for me so I am proud of that!!

Glad to hear that you're doing better, a2m2p4. Heck, I still have pain at my port site sometimes and I'm almost a month out.

How is your surgeon making you go back to work? Or can you not stay out longer without a doctor's note because it's a new job? I only missed 4 days of work because I didn't have enough leave to miss more. Otherwise I would've liked to take two weeks off.

20 pounds in 8 days is a lot and as you know this is healing time, not weight loss time anyway. So hang in there. My weight loss slowed way down when I started on real food, but that's how it is for many people until you start getting fills. Congrats on doing so well with your eating and it will get easier! And the walking is great. Keep us updated.

Thanks for the support!!! I don't know how people could only stay out of work that short amount of time. I guess I am just a big baby because I know for a fact after 4 days I would have lost my job instead of going back. I don't have any sick time left after taking my two weeks so I would need the doctors note to stay out legally. I am actually staying within the same company just going to a different position but the work is going to be a lot different. I know this is healing time and I keep trying to tell myself this but of course it's easier said then done. I have to be on a puree/soft diet for 8 weeks total and it has only been a little over a week so far. I hope I can make it that long becuase the thought of messing up my band right now takes over my wanting to eat anything not listed on my diet... but I am not sure how I will feel in a few weeks. The hunger might take over and we all know how that is!!!