Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Done with surgery...WOW!

As some of you know, I had my surgery done in Mexico on Thursday, February 14th by Dr. Rumbaul. First of all, let me say that Dr. Rumbaul, his staff and facilities are first class. No complaint, really a class act.

The one thing that did surprise me was how uncomfortable I was after the surgery. The thing that was so bad was the pressure, not necessarily the pain, but the pressure that ran horizontally across my abdomen right across the bottom of my ribs and upper stomach.

I had read on the forum about how uncomfortable it was but I have to say it was much, much worse than I had expected and I have a high tolerance for pain. For those first two days after the surgery, I was wondering what the hell I had gotten myself into. The third day I noticed it was quite a bit better, and on the fourth day (today) I feel great. No pain at all and the pressure is gone.

Everyone talks about how walking will get out the air and relieve the pressure, so I walked, walked, walked almost all the first night, but for me that didn't help at all.

The only thing that made it go away was the clock.

So there you have it guys, I am official, I am a 'bandster'.

I'm excited for you!!!! Thanks for the warning about the pain, also. I have a high tolerance for pain too so I'm trying to prepare myself. *shudders*

Leather - Congratulations, and welcome home! Glad to know you are feeling better - I remember that day 4 was the time I felt like myself again!

Gibson - Don't be nervous! I think it's different for everyone - I wasn't very sore at all. If you get gas pains - here's my trick. Lay on your left side with a pillow under your belly and incline your bed a little (if you're in a hospital bed). This helped me SO MUCH. It should help the air bubble through your band and out. And make friends with your ice pack! Good luck!

It was worse than I expected that first day, too. I was laying in bed in the hotel wondering WHY I would have considered this. By the 2nd day, I no longer regretted my decision (although I had a hard time climbing into our pillow top bed lol). By day 5 I was sleeping on my stomach!

I felt the same way....wondered why I had done this...but it only lasted a couple of hours on the 3rd day....after I felt fine and have actually loved my band. I have no hunger. I don't spend the day wondering what I'm going to eat, what to prepare..what I am craving because I want to hit the spot but don't know what it is...etc.....

Now it's like darn...its already 5:30Pm time for dinner....but i'm not hungry...then I just smile...love my band...and I haven't even had my first fill yet....

It was worth it....I think it's the quick depression part of doing something so drastic to your body...it's like a friend told me your surgeon went and sliced you open put something in and closed you back up...what do you expect your body to act like it never happened! LOL

No pain no Gain(Loss in our cases) LOL!

Good going Leather, you are on your way! I am with Dr Rumbaut next Tuesday. Not looking forward to travelling all the way back to Edmonton if I am in pain, though...

I flew home on day 4, I felt great. One lady in our group was fly home the day after me and she was more than ready too. I think you will do just fine.

Dana, right close to the hotel you are staying at is a little strip mall, after your surgery its a good place to go walk. The weather in Mexico right now is awesome, you will love it. :thumbup:

Hi Dana-K

I flew from Mexico last weds back to Calgary with one stop.It helped me to sip hot herbal tea on the plane. Also ask when you check in if the flight is full and try get an empty seat next to you.I asked on both flights back.It helped alot.

Good Luck

Nicolek

I felt the same way....wondered why I had done this...but it only lasted a couple of hours on the 3rd day....after I felt fine and have actually loved my band. It was worth it....I think it's the quick depression part of doing something so drastic to your body...it's like a friend told me your surgeon went and sliced you open put something in and closed you back up...what do you expect your body to act like it never happened! LOL

No pain no Gain(Loss in our cases) LOL!

This is exactly how I felt about day 1 after surgery. I was thinking that I couldn't understand how I could let someone cut me open and put this object in me. There was also the realization that it couldn't easily be undone, at least not without having another surgery. But then the "drugs" wore off and I feel great. I'm still scared about having fills and not being able to eat the things I would like - like asparagus and salads. But I know this is going to change my whole life and I am moving forward.

I definitely experienced more pain than I thought I would the first day. By the second day I felt a lot better. On the fourth day I was again regretting it, as I was flying home and I got nauseous on the plane. Then yesterday afternoon I had a painful incident in which I ate too fast and again wondered why on earth I had gotten this surgery. This morning I felt good again, but now I'm feeling gross. Realized that I started my period. Oh, the ups and downs!