Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone just have 1 fill till you were done?

I've mentioned this before and sorry for repeating it. I've lost most of my weight and am about done, never had a fill. The nurse is very suprised and said I also had the bigger band.

I want to have a fill to see if it helps me have smaller meals, I have restriction but feel I eat more at a meal than I should. I try to keep it at

1 1/2 cups but I can eat a bit more, closer to 2C. If I eat less than the 1 1/2 C. I get hungry. :smile:

I am wondering if any of you have only been filled 1 time till you were done lossing and if it helped much?

Thanks!

That is fantastic!!! Good Job!!

I've only known of one other gal that lost most of her weight with either 1 or no fills but then she was banded in Mexico 7 years ago and was only given the option of the smaller band so it may have been a bit tighter.

I wouldn't complain if I were you. If you can eat 1-1/2 or even 2 cups of food and still maintain the weightloss without stuggling with hunger issues then I wouldn't worry about it. Just be happy you were one of the lucky few.

I remember now one other friend that had only 1 or 2 fills in a larger band and lost all the weight she wanted to while still eating pretty large meals (bandster-wise that is) but then she quit smoking and everything changed for her. She put on 20 pounds and has been struggling to get back on track, so she is now getting more aggressive fills and discovering new sides to the band (like sliming and having to give up certain foods that don't go down well) that she never really had before.

I'm a newbie, but I've had no fills, and no plans on getting one anytime soon, and I've steadily lost since being banded. I can eat 1/2-1 1/2 cups of food depending on the time of day/type of food. I've lost over 40 lbs and counting. I've got the new Realize Band, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I met a guy from my doctor's office who's lost well over 100 lbs and had never had a fill. My doctor says this is pretty rare, he's only seen a few cases like that in his years of experience.

Thanks for all the info!

I'm concerned about maintaining and thought maybe a fill will help me do that better when the time comes.

I've emailed my Doctor and am waiting a reply but wondered how others on this forum might respond to my question: I am 3-1/2 weeks post-op and due for my first fill in one week. Per doctor's orders, I've been eating real food for a week: Protein first, followed by vegetable. Because I've experienced only minimal hunger, I've been able to keep caloric intake to 800 cal/day. I have had a couple of days when I was really hungry but eating a little cottage cheese or an ounce or two of meat, the hunger went away. My question is, should I have a fill (my first) if weight-loss is good and hunger is very manageable? My inclination is to delay having my first fill until I actually need help in controlling hunger. What do you think?

Yes it sounds like you might be OK delaying your fill. HOWEVER, wether your self-pay or insurance your office visit next week should already be covered at no additional charge. My suggestion would be to go ahead and go to the appointment. It is for more than just a fill. It is a way for your doctors office to monitor your recovery from surgery and make sure you don't have any other issues or questions about the process so far.

Most if not all doctors will take the time to talk to you before the fill about how you are doing, how much you are able to eat and how much hunger you are experiencing. There were a couple times during my first year that I ended up not getting a fill at my appointment.

If by some chance your doc doesn't bring up the subject first. Definitely speak up and voice your reluctance to get a fill before you feel you "need" one. On the other hand you never know, there have been many a time that just one or two days seemed to make the difference between my feeling OK with my fill level and wishing I could eat my own arm off.

Thats what has happend to me, I'm never hungry, if I am its when I'm bored. I went to every appointment so I could at least be weighed, they talk with me and since I always lost over 10 lbs every month, didn't think I needed a fill each time. Said I am doing really good and keep doing what I'm doing. Although they always ask what I'm eating, how I'm feeling, the usual questions.

Yes keep going to your appoinments, it all helps.

My doc said that they have had only 1 patient in all their years of practice who never needed a fill.

Wish it was me, but I'm going in for my first one tomorrow.

I was banded 7 September 2007 and haven't had a fill yet and have lost 61 pounds. I do get hungry but a small amount of food will fix that. I can eat anything including steak, bread sometimes gives me trouble but thats it. I like knowing I can go out and never pb or slime so I work hard by exercising every day and keeping my cals to 1200 per day. My doc keeps shaking his head and says I am his only patient to ever not want their fills and loose at such a good weight. I don't know - just being banded has been enough for me. But if the weight loss stops I will have it done. Just really hoping I never need it.

Why do you want to eat less when you have lost 75 pounds in 7 months? Your band has done exactly what it was supposed to do - you have lost 10+ pounds per month. Do you think you haven't lost enough? I can't see where smaller portions are necessary unless you think you should have lost more. My goal is to lose as much weight as possible with as little restriction as necessary. I want to stay as close as I can to 'normal' and still lose weight. food is a pleasure, and I don't want to make my portions smaller if I don't need to. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that view. If I could lose 75 pounds in 7 months with 0 or 1 fills, I would be all over it!

Oh,one more thing...there is nothing wrong with needing or wanting fills. Fills are not a sign of failure. Not needing fills or needing them is strictly a physiological issue - it has to do with your body (how thick your stomach is etc.) I am happy for those of you who didn't need fills at all, but I am not one of you. The band is a tool and some of us, in order to get maximum benefit out of our tool, need more fills to get restriction. I didn't pay thousands of dollars and go through major surgery to white knuckle my way through weight loss feeling hungry and miserable all the time. I got the band because it will allow me to feel satisfied with smaller portions and stay satisfied longer. I am going to get as many fills as I need to reach my sweet spot and achieve maximum weight loss and this does not make me a bad person. Sometimes when I read posts on this sight I get the feeling that it is a competition to see who needs fewer fills and my doctor says there is no reason not to have as many fills as you need.If you don't need one, by all means don't get one. If you need one, by all means get one! (or five, like I'm working towards! still not there!)

For me I was hoping it would help me to maintain. I would like a bit more restriction to help me with that. I do get full much easier, and my biggest restriction is dry meat or not chewing my food well enough so i sometimes PB. But I'm so afraid of going back to the old ways, figured I could use the extra help.

Oops! Disregard what I wrote in my post yesterday about my delaying having a first fill because my hunger was under control. About an hour after writing the post, my hunger appeared and today it has been great. I've been able to refrain from eating "bad" food but the quantity of healthy food has greatly increased. Without a doubt, I'll be going in for my scheduled 1st fill on Wednesday. I certainly don't want to have to fight this degree of hunger on a long term basis.

KBINAZ I don't think anyone here was saying they were better for NOT having a fill. Its just a fact - some of us have not needed one yet. But I will certainly be having one if and when I need it and won't think anything less of myself if I do. At the moment the sheer act of getting the band has been enough for me to make some big life changes. But 40 years of failing at diets makes me very aware that this may not last. So please do not think we are making less of your achievements of struggles.