Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cover and support belly&band when exercising

Hi folks - I guess because of the weight loss my band sticks out and I feel like I need some support when I exercise. Something to wrap or support my mid-section. Any suggestions? I saw on the men's page something about a compression shirt but I don't want something long sleeve and insulating.

Thank you!

I was thinking the same thing. My port is also visable. The other day I was trying to do a jump and jack and Im not sure if it was the lose belly fat or the band moving but something just didnt feel right. Also just today when I went to the gym and was trying to use some weight machine where its like your sitting on a chair backwards (cant think of the name of it) and you reach out and pull the handles towards you, my port was up againt the support thing and it felt like I was pushing up against it to hard. To this day, I still havent been able to sleep on my stomach.

Wow, I can feel my port, but I have never had any problems with it. I do leg curls while on my stomach at the gym and have no pain or anything, maybe I am just lucky. Sometimes my hubby and I use those compression shirts at the gym. I find them just OK, but my hubby really likes them. I have one in the short sleeve type. I could not wear a long sleeve to the gym. I would feel like I was suffocating. Good Luck all.

For support on the belly/bottom half you could try Spanxs or cycling shorts. They do give you some squeeze.

I've only felt my port when I'm doing the leg press and my stuff is all pushed and rolled up between my hips and my chest.

Monica, I'm surprised you're unable to sleep on your stomach. Have you discussed that with your doc? That would make me too sad.

I have only been banded less than a month, but I can already see the need for a supportive garment. Surgical garments look very promising!

I did a quick search and found this web site, they have bariatric garments. Often they are crotchless so that you can go to the bathroom without taking everything off.

bariatric garments

Thank you to everyone for the ideas and for the weblink. I had no idea there were so many products out there.

Monica, I'm surprised you're unable to sleep on your stomach. Have you discussed that with your doc? That would make me too sad.[/quote

I have and you know what his response was. If it hurts to sleep on my stomach than dont. This is not the Dr who orginally did my surgery. A couple of months after my surgery I found out that my Drs contract wasnt extended and he had left the practice. I was hoping to just go to where ever my Dr had went but there was some kind of no compete clause in his contract that wont allow him to practice within 200 miles. :)

I do Water aerobics 3 times a week. I've discovered I have to wear a very tight suit with tummy control. When I jump up and down in the pool, and my belly flops around, my port hurts a lot. When I lose weight and tighten this up, do you think it will still hurt?

Aubrie, my surgeon tells me that my port is sewn into my abdominal muscles--so I would think that's why you're experiencing pain when doing Water aerobics, from the pulling on the muscles as you bounce.

Like Juli, my biggest issue has been with the leg press, both at the YMCA and at Curves. And I severely reduced the amount of weight I had been using so that I could still do the press. But now, two months after going back to weight training, I'm able to continue to increase my weight on that machine and will hopefully eventually be back where I was pre-op.

The gist of that is that I think eventually your stomach will tighten up and get stronger and the port pain will subside and hopefully go away altogether! :(