Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so COLD!!!

HELP!!! I was banded Dec. 17th 2007 and my first fill was Jan. 29th 2008. Within the first couple of weeks of surgery when I was loosing weight quickly, I felt cold. :angry: Since being banded, my weight loss has gone into high gear and I'm not able to eat that much at all! It's just a few bites at a time and eating real slow... Since I haven't been eating that much this last week and lost another 5 pounds since the 29th of Jan., I can't shake the feeling of being BONE COLD!!! :eek: I'm always the warmest one in the house! Now, I soak in a tub of hot Water at night like I'm trying to cook myself! :tt2: I feel like I'm coming down with something... but it's been days since I have felt this way... and I'm not getting sick. :thumbup: no cold... no horrible flu... I just feel like I'm going to wake up sick "tomorrow"... :eek: Thank goodness, I wake up and things are fine until about 3 in the afternoon and then the COLD feelings begin... :wub: Does anyone else feel this way or know what is going on with me??? HELP! I'm feeling miserable because of this... :tt1:

Ah bless you....I still feel the cold (I mean like I'm in the Arctic) and I am over 4 years out. At first I put it down to like going cold turkey from eating all the crap and my body getting de-toxed but as the weight fell so quickly in the first year, I realised that it was due to the fat that had kept my body so nice and warm all these years no longer being there.

I found that exercising helped as it made me feel better and the increase in my metabolism seemed to kick-start all sorts of things in my body. But when I let that slip it's back to the layers of clothes, hot Water bottles and plenty of Hot drinks and Soup for this gal. Just be thankful you're losing the weight and you can get some great thermal underwear that will show off your new figure :thumbup:

Your body needs X amount of calories to be able to heat itself. It sounds like you aren't eating enough. And losing that much weight is far too much too quickly. It sets you up for all sorts of complications. Go and see your doctor ASAP and ask to have the fill adjusted. You need to be eating more!

I have the same problem - I live in Arizona so I am hoping it really helps me this summer when it is 110 outside!! Ha! It gets really bad when I have a fill and have to go on Clear Liquids so I do think it has something to do with not getting in enough calories. I agree with Sunwyse, you should be eating more than a few bites. Check with your doctor.

My sister who was banded 4 years ago suffers really badly with feeling cold now. In the middle of summer and it's 38 degrees outside, go into the shopping centre or movies and she gets cold. She takes a sweater everywhere just in case. Anytime we go anywhere I always ask her if she's got a sweater in the car just in case.

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I'm trying to eat more so that has helped! Never thought I'd hear myself say that!!! :) I've just been so busy that eating really gets pushed to the back burner. After my first fill (2 wks from Monday) it is amazing how my brain has shifted gears and not thinking about food all the time! I'm just not that hungry or do I feel like eating... WOW! What a CHANGE!!! :crying:

I've been eating a little Peanut Butter and a glass of milk and that seems to help me warm up... Also takes away any hunger pains if I've wait to long to eat... Peanut Butter must coat the stomach... I'm going to call the Doctors office Monday too. I'm going to keep track of what I eat today so I can see if this is too tight and I need to get some taken out...

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks again for all the help!!!

also make sure that your thyroid is okay! I too freeze, need the bathtub to warm up! I think my metabolism was always slow, and now I have a negative fuel balance. Exercise has got to help!

Definately losing layers of fat makes a difference for me anyway. But also when I was on liquids I felt it more. Try keeping track of your food prior to seeing your doc so you know you're giving him an accurate account of what you're taking in daily. If you're not using an online tracker I highly recommend either Fit Day or Spark People sites....they really help keep track of food and have a bunch of great suggests.

Good luck and I hope you warm up :)

I am six months out and I am freezing to death all the time. I too get in a hot tub at night just to get warm. I have started sitting with a heating pad under a blanket in my chair to watch tv. The only time I am warm is when I am working out at the gym. Donna

I go in spirts with feeling the cold . . . and the doctor said most WL patients have the same complaint. There are times I have on my heavy pj's, socks, heavy robe, one or two afghans and GLOVES when I'm sitting watching TV at night . . . it seems to happen mostly when I'm losing. When I'm at a plateau, it isn't so bad.

the first several weeks after my band was placed, i was FREEEEEEZING. shivering so horribly that my DH threatened to take me to the hospital. it eventually got a tad better.

i am still very very cold, but nothing that layers will not take care of. i think it was the anesthesia. really looking forward to having my tuck now ... :)

Maybe that cold feeling is actually a *normal* body temp and we are just so used to being a lot hotter because of all the extra fat?

Too funny!!! I feel the same way!! I am usually a sweat hog, and now, I am always freezing!!!

Carrying around all that extra weight must have really kept us warm! I had surgery Dec. 12th,... am down about 30lbs. and am freezing all the time.

Try layering up... that's what I have been doing!

I thought I was carzy when I became cold after surgery, I am cold nearly all the time, but I too think it is when I am losing that I notice it more. I used to ride with the window cracked in the winter, never wear a coat and was just hot all the time.

I thought menopause was lasting forever....LOL I have to admit the heat was my layers of fat across my middle, they are fastly disappearing and I think that is why I am now facing being cold.

Not to mention the little amount of fuel we take in on a daily basis, that too has to have something to do with it.

This is a common thing. I think its because your body is burning the fat stored because it doesnt get enough energy from the low cals your taking in. This isnt a bad thing either.

Your body is using alot of energy to convert that fat into energy you need. Energy is heat. Same thing. So as takes energy up you losse heat.

Now its hard to prove this scientically. I am FREEZING right now. Wisconsins -37F doesnt help.

But i try and think...if im cold it mean im losing weight :smile:!

I used to be hot ALL the time. Even have a big fan under my desk. Havnt used that since surgery!