Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Wanted to Eat and Eat before pre op

Surely I am not the only one who feels that soon you can eat very little and will have to be truly dedicated to losing weight and so in the meantime as I do my research I feel I want to eat just everything while I can. I feel very guilty. I do not eat everything in sight but I do feel like it. Is any of this normal or am I just crazy? I want to be thin. Up until about 25 I was thin and then the weight went on and on and has never come off for good. Many diets and have lost up to about 30 pounds before only to gain it back and then some. Right now at last weight I was at 221. I am 5'3" and BMI 39. I read the flip flopping thread tonight and it is some of how I feel. Yes I desperately want to succeed at losing and after quite a bit of research I feel banding is for me. I just can't seem to get over this wanting to eat it all like the last supper or something. I am afraid to talk to my PCP because he is against dieting and believes you only eat when you are hungry. I am going to a couple of seminars in the next week or so and then I hope to have the courage to talk to my PCP about a referral to a bariatric surgeon. Please let me know how you felt in these early stages of research and how long it took you to get an appt with your Doc once you had made up your mind to go for it. I'm from Arizona City Arizona and I'd sure like to talk with someone in Arizona who has been through this and is doing well with their band. I'd actually like to meet some fellow Arizona bandsters. Do you know of any support groups in Arizona that I could attend?:thumbup:

Hey yellowrose

I ate like there was no tomorrow after I first went and saw my surgeon. I knew that my life was going to change dramatically I already knew I was an emotional eater and I knew there was going to be a time where I had to stop and go ok if you keep going you are never going to show the surgeon you are serious about this!!!

for 2 weeks before banding I think I did the best "diet " of my life. High Protein, low carbs and stuck to it like glue except the last night before banding I had an hamburger and chips coz I knew I could never just go order that again......I used to even play games with myself lets see how fat the fat girl can get, sad thing is I was piliing on the weight and not even noticing properly, I was looking through myself rather than at myself.

This was my last chance at losing and keeping it off. Yep ive lost 50kgs at one time but life in general and bad habits and a body that was destined to be over weight from birth made me see that this was my chance at healthiness, contentness and an ability to finally control myself and my habits!!!

I was banded on the 5th of feb it was the biggest and best decision I have ever made and now my kids will have a mummy who can run and jump and play with them

Good luck in whatever decision you make hun

Ky

I love your butterfly quote. Thanks for the input. The more I read these posts the better I feel. Isn't it great to know that you are not alone? I wish for you the best of success in your journey.

I think sometimes in our journeys we have been too alone and thats why we fail. With lots of support anything is possible, the right guidance, the right remarks and the right advice

I wish you the very best of luck dont hesitate to contact me if u want a chat

Yellowrose, I think it's great that you'll be attending seminars soon. Attending my surgeon's seminar really had a positive impact on me. Of course it helped that he has an excellent reputation. My advice would be to find another PCP if he/she doesn't provide you with the support you need for success.

I first considered bariatric surgery in 2004, but there was no way I could go through with gastric bypass. I put the matter to rest for a few years. I then began considering lap-band surgery last summer. After attending the seminar in August, I had my consult in mid-September and was banded a few weeks later. I was self-pay, so it wasn't a long process.

One mistake I made during the decision-making process was focusing on the negative, the risks, talking to folks who didn't know anything about the lap-band. Surround yourself with the positive. From reading your message, it sounds like your decision is made, so stick with it! Begin thinking about how your relationship with food is going to need to change. I'm struggling with sweets. As far as eating pre-op, I think my nerves kept me from eating much. I lost 9 lbs. with no effort. I sometimes find myself saying, if only I had eaten (fill in the blank) before surgery, but then I figure it doesn't really matter now.

Whatever you do, try not to gain weight when you get close to surgery. Losing some weight shrinks the liver and makes for a safer surgery.

Anne

i did feel that way in the begining; i thought, 'hell, im going to be banded in a couple of months, my world's going to change, live it up now before banding.'

funny thing is, i didn't nor haven't been going overboard with food. as a matter of fact i'm starting to train myself, and re-think my food choices,quantites, no drinking liquids with food, etc. so when i do get banded, it won't be such a shock for me. i started doing this about two weeks ago; first week was awful. i was missing my big lunches and even bigger dinners. but on week two, i didn't have any cravings or missing those big meals. i'm okay now...on to week three. :thumbdown:

I think it's called the "last meal sydrome" and is very common. I had it bad. I also had the same problem before I got enough fill for restriction It took so long for my surgery to get scheduled and I was angry and frustated which really sets me up for overeating. Now I wish I would have used a little more restraint!

Restraint! That's what I must do now. Don't want to gain any more weight. I am just to the point of attending seminars and talking with the many great people here. I haven't got an appt with my PCP yet. But as soon as I attend a couple of seminars I will be making that appt for a referral. My insurance says they will cover it as long as my PCP proves it medically necessary. Can't wait to see what my PCP requires to "prove" I need it. Thanks for the encouragement from all of you. Becky

i did feel that way in the begining; i thought, 'hell, im going to be banded in a couple of months, my world's going to change, live it up now before banding.'

funny thing is, i didn't nor haven't been going overboard with food. as a matter of fact i'm starting to train myself, and re-think my food choices,quantites, no drinking liquids with food, etc. so when i do get banded, it won't be such a shock for me. i started doing this about two weeks ago; first week was awful. i was missing my big lunches and even bigger dinners. but on week two, i didn't have any cravings or missing those big meals. i'm okay now...on to week three. :crying:

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep up the good work!! Your surgery will be here before you know it. :)

Becky, keep us posted.

awww you guys are all awesome!! that's why i love this place!!!

:crying::):rose:

I read your post with great interest as this is exactly how I am feeling. I just received my banding date and am very excited about it! Over the next few weeks, I hope to lose about 10-15 pounds before surgery. I know I can do it even if have been thinking about chocolate! March 7th will be the start of my new life!

I didn't have the last meal syndrome at all. I had lost 30 pounds a few years ago and had already put on half of it back. I was so focused on not gaining it all back before surgery.

I knew I'd hate myself after the surgery if I overindulged before surgery because that would just be more weight to lose.

I already hated myself for gaining half of it back and just wanted to stop being mad at myself for overeating.

I just decided that eating as I previously did was going to end anyway, so I just ended it sooner rather than later.

But I've read many threads like this, so it seems to a common thing to do.

Like how we all eat a lot the day before we start weight watchers!

"Last meal syndrome"... huh, there's a name for it..

Well, I gained 18 lbs :eek: during the Last SUMMER Meal Syndrome .. I was constantly thinking, this is my last July 4th party to eat everything in sight, My last birthday party/drinking party, last summer of camping (ice cream cones/campfire foods), last cruise I can enjoy, and boy did I pack it on.

I didn't even realize how much I gained until I got my surgery date, and weighed myself! I think I purposely stayed away from the scale. .:)

But, once I got the date, I ate better, and really did well on the 2 week liquid pre-op diet too... I'm none for the worse now.. and on the straight and narrow.

So do whatever it takes, but listen to your doctor....

Brenda

i start my pre op diet tomorrow morning and tonight im having my "last meal" my fav that i know i cant hav after banding.. ur not alot i think hmm ill eat that cause i cant eat it when im banded.. and i been doing that the last week not over doing it but..

i wish u luck with ur journey...

I am only 3 days out from being banded. It has been extremely difficult. I am not liking this 2 week pre-op diet. I so relate to how you are feeling and I would be lieing if I said I am doing well with it.

Best of Luck and lots of encouragement!!!!