Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you eating?

To those of you who have been banded, how many times a day are you eating, and how much have you been able to handle? I'm post op day 5, and I'm afraid I'm not eating enough at all.

I had my surgery 3 days ago. I am trying to eat about 6 times a day. I have found the Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added) is really good, and has 10 grams of Protein if you use 1 cup skim milk. I have been experimenting with the different whey Proteins I purchased ahead of time, but have found most of them are really bad...so instead of adding one scoop for 23 grams of protein, I add 1/4 scoop and call it good. That is not too bad and gives nearly 6 more grams of protein. I try to do 3 meals with at least 8 grams of protein, then the rest of the time, I just have a fudgesicle or popsicle.

I'm 3 days post op and on clear liquids until next Tues. Then full liquids which basically is adding "strained cream soups". What's weird is that my program does not incorporate ANY Protein until 12 days post op. I asked the nurse and nutritionist and they both said that protein in tougher to digest...even Liquid Protein and the focus needs to be purely on healing. I guess it makes sense, but I feel like the protein would do me good right about now!! I'm doing ok with the clear liquids but only because I'm not hungry!! Next week could be challenging. But this is what it's all about.....healthy changes. Hope everyone else is hanging in there. We just have to keep listening to our docs...they know best!

From what Ive seen there are a lot of different variations of the post op diet. Best to follow your doctors instructions. Right now my major issue is neck & shoulder pain, but that too shall pass.

I am 8 days post op and just got to add full liquids and Protein to my diet ... makes a huge difference. However, when I was still on clear liquids, I was only eating a few ounces three times a day. I just did not have an appetite, but decided to embrace that as part of my new lifestyle.

Not sure if this list will help or not, but here is the post diet that my doctor gave me:

Days 1-2: Clear Liquids (at least 32-64 oz per day) sip, sip, sip, small amounts at a time. (e.g. broth, apple juice, tea, popsicles, propel, Isopure CLEAR, etc)

Days 3-4: May add Protein Drinks (40-70 grams per day) - at least 1-2 per day in divided portions. Remember: only small amounts.. go slowly. Should take 30 minutes to drink 6 oz. When you feel full, stop. Begin chewable vitamins and Calcium.

Days 5-6: May add V-9 juice, Tomato juice, thin cream Soups and applesauce.

Day 7: May add low fat yogurt and low fat pudding

Days 8-9: May start full liquid diet. May add thinned out oatmeal, cream of wheat, baby food.

Day 10: may add thinned out mashed potatoes, cottage cheese

Days 11-12: continue low fat and sugar free full liquid diet, continue Protein supplements, may add bananas/strawberries - well chewed

Days 13-14: slowly add soft boiled or scrambled eggs, baked potatoe and canned fruits "lite" variety

From there you can start to eat more solid foods and figure out what you can and can't eat. He also said that some people reach day 13 diet on day 9 or 10, that everybody is different.

OK here is a typical day for me I'm 8 days out today:

8oz Water when I wake up with meds.

8oz coffee

8oz protien drink 10g (with extra scoop 10g)

water water water

6 - 7 oz Soup or yogurt for lunch (with extra protien powder)

water water water

pudding or applesauce

water water water

6 - 7 oz soup for dinner (with exrta protien powder)

Maybe a sf ice pop or apple juice

I was banded February 1, so I'm on day 13 now. I'm having a Protein Shake for Breakfast, grilled fish and a green vegetable for lunch, and the same for dinner. Sometimes I have fat free cottage cheese with soft canned fruit (rinsed to remove any extra sugars) in place of the fish/veggie combo. I'm also drinking three bottles of Water daily, and sometimes half glass of dry white wine in the evening. My doctor says wine is fine! I don't know if I could have done this, otherwise. Honestly, on past diets, I missed wine more than food! LOL!

yes, i'm on full liquids until my 2 week follow up and then mushies for 2 weeks, then i can start working in solids. I tell you what, I really don't miss 'food' but i do miss chewing. it was funny, last night while the family was eating and I was dining on a protien shake, which was fab by the way, I was chewing it. My 6 y/o, says, 'mom, your chewing your drink, are you nuts?' we all just starting laughing so hard it hurt so bad.