Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oprah needs a lapband....

It's like everyone who thinks that lap band is overkill "solution" to obesity. They don't get that it's a TOOL in weight loss approach, not the cure-all answer. It's about education, and putting it out there. I give kudos to her for that. People will come around I think and pretty soon too.

Oprah has done many wonderful things for many people and I am not taking that away from her, but this thread is not about Oprah in general or about her generosity, but about her show on WLS.

Oprah has had trainers, chefs, Dr Phil, life coaches on the show etc and she still has a weight issue. Goes to prove losing weight is not easy no matter how you try to do it. Yet, she seems, in my opinion, to be dead set against WLS except for the super morbidly obese.

She's entitiled to her opinion, as I am to mine, but I predict while she's still fat next year and still trying to figure out WHY she overeats, we'll be thinner and healthier.

Oprah is afraid of needles... did you see the ear piercing show or the acupunture show? So I can't imagine the idea of surgery sits well with her.

I actually think Oprah is annoying. I think she is completely full of herself. And I am VERY upset that the Discovery Health Channel next year will be the Oprah channel.

AMEN! nice to hear someone else thinks this!

I don't believe we are all mentally screwed up in some way, so that our weight is merely a manifestation of some other mental/emotional problem. After watching my two children, one of whom has always had a weight problem since preschool and the other who never has, I believe it is physiological. I think the mental trauma comes as a result of obesity rather than it being a root cause. i rather resent people telling me I obviously have mental or emotional issues that make me overeat.

AMEN!! There is a huge physiological part to the whole obesity picture. Many, many people ignore it or continue to insist we are all lazy pigs. 20 years ago women's cramps were all in their heads, 10 years ago impotence was all in men's heads. It will take a while before it is accepted by the majority of people (including fat people) that it is more than our mental problems.

I thought I read recently that Oprah has been diagnosed with some sort of thyroid problem, which has caused her weight to fluctuate more in the past year. I guess that may be why you can see one show and she is slimmer than others.

I think she is pretty supportive of people why are on they own journeys to better health. I think she likes to show the pros and cons so she can help other people look at those angles. I agree, tho, a band, a trainer, a chef is just another tool. I could afford a trainer if I wanted one. I just can't get into that. But I'm loving my band! That was my "right" choice.

Yes Oprah has said that she was diagnosed with a thyroid problem, she has also said that she is now controlled with her medication and further knowledged that she should be able to lose the weight she gained during the time of not knowing she had the thyroid issue.

Weight loss is HARD, she is proof. I just don't know why she is convinced she has an underlying psychological reason why she overeats. I mean with all the resources she has available to her, if she can't find the psychological reason, how on earth would most of the rest of us?

she can afford all kinds of counseling, but I know my ins won't cover too many visits with a shrink, so I can figure it out.

I think many of us have an physical addiction to bad food, NOT a pyschological addiction.

Would you tell a cigarette smoker to have three small cigs a day? Would you tell a drug addict to have three small "hits" a day? Would you tell an alcoholic to have three small drinks a day? NO, because we know it would lead to more. But Dr's continue to tell us addicted to food, to have three small meals a day! You can give up cigs, booze and drugs and live, but you cannot give up food and live. ( Just ask Karen Carpenter).

This is why WLS surgery works for MOST overeaters. It doesn't allow us to have more than we should. The people that still have problems controlling food after WLS, I would place in the pyschologically addicted.

My two cents on the subject!

I would like to see the kids on the show a few years down the road and see how they are doing. Maybe the girl that lost it on her own will gain weight and be considering WLS in a few years... :biggrin:

I actually think Oprah is annoying. I think she is completely full of herself. And I am VERY upset that the Discovery Health Channel next year will be the Oprah channel.

UUhhhhggg! I love the Discovery Health Channel, just as it is! :smile: Let Oprah get her own channel. I'm actually neutral in my feelings about Oprah, therefore I don't watch her show often . . . but I did see her show with the teens and WLS. It seems the show was mostly debating whether or not young people under the age of 18 should have the surgery, UNTIL the girl came out who lost all that weight on her own. When Oprah called her "an inspiration" you could see the other teens' faces fall . . . I felt sorry for them. *Maybe* Oprah didn't mean it that way, maybe she did . . . but it did present a negative tone towards WLS.

I just don't get the whole "easy way out" thing. SO WHAT?! Is one supposed to get healthier only by doing it "the hard way"? :biggrin: Now mind you, I am not saying any WLS is "easy" . . . I'm with everyone here, we all know it's not. MizPeppy, I agree with you. Perhaps it will just take time for society to accept and understand WLS. For now, if anyone wants to tell me I'm "taking the easy way out" . . . here's my fat butt, KISS IT! If WLS gets me to where I want to go with my health, the heck with what anyone else says/thinks. It's my life.

And Mel119, I agree. I too would like to see these young people in about 5 years or so. See if that girl has kept it all off, and how the people with WLS are doing.

I already replied here once, but I've been thinking about Oprah and decided that if she wants to continue living in that agonizing place of constantly worrying about what to eat, how much to eat, how to stop eating, have I gained?, have I lost?, Will I gain it back....hey, go right ahead more power to her. I chose to have this tool installed because I know it is going to allow me to finally reach the right weight for me and not be constantly stressing about gaining it back. And it is still requiring a big commitment from me. I wish she understood that part of it.

I agree with you 100%. Give me a personal trainer and chef at my disposal 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even on vacations, I would not have ever gotten this fat in the first place.

I could not have said it better myself. :eek:

UUhhhhggg! I love the Discovery Health Channel' date=' just as it is! :eek: Let Oprah get her own channel. I'm actually neutral in my feelings about Oprah, therefore I don't watch her show often . . . but I did see her show with the teens and WLS. It seems the show was mostly debating whether or not young people under the age of 18 should have the surgery, UNTIL the girl came out who lost all that weight on her own. When Oprah called her "an inspiration" you could see the other teens' faces fall . . . I felt sorry for them. *Maybe* Oprah didn't mean it that way, maybe she did . . . but it did present a negative tone towards WLS.

I just don't get the whole "easy way out" thing. SO WHAT?! Is one supposed to get healthier only by doing it "the hard way"? :eek: Now mind you, I am not saying any WLS is "easy" . . . I'm with everyone here, we all know it's not. MizPeppy, I agree with you. Perhaps it will just take time for society to accept and understand WLS. For now, if anyone wants to tell me I'm "taking the easy way out" . . . here's my fat butt, KISS IT! If WLS gets me to where I want to go with my health, the heck with what anyone else says/thinks. It's my life.

And Mel119, I agree. I too would like to see these young people in about 5 years or so. See if that girl has kept it all off, and how the people with WLS are doing.[/quote']

That whole "your an inspiration" is what I meant by all this. I felt like the moms were deffending their choice for WLS. It doesn't help that I Hate Oprah...She's fake if u've ever been to one of her shows u know what I mean....