Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

port pain - what to do

:tongue:

Hi

I was looking for some advice. I was banded a week ago tomorrow (16/1) and am experiencing a lot of pain where the port is... a kind of internal ripping type pain.

I've spoken to my doc and he says this is not uncommon and it will take a couple of weeks to settle down and to keep taking the painstop... which i have been.

My question is .. should i try and go for walks or move about more? is this likely to help even though initially it seems to make it worse? Has anyone got any suggestions for how to speed up the healing process? ie is it better to rest in bed or move around?

The site is quite tight and tender and it's hard to even just sit without feeling the pain.

Thanks

t

Hi I know what you mean, I could not sleep in bed for 2 weeks (I am a side sleeper and somehow in the night I roll-ow!) I finally just slept in a chair. I babied myself. I could not even wear jeans, as the waist hurt my port incision (right at my waist line---??Why would they put it there is beyond me!) I am 5 weeks out and only just this last weekend could I put a pair of jeans on and stay in them. I was so happy felt human again!

Some people do not have any pain, or minimal--others do.

If you can walk comfortably then go for it. Even if it is only for 5 min. I know I did things around my house but did not start any exercise program until I went to see the dr for my check up which was almost 3 weeks out.

What does your Dr. say to do?

My port pain has calmed down a lot. Its good that you talked to your doc about it. I am just over 2 weeks out BTW. Last week I would start hurting if I did too much. If I started hurting I just stopped whatever I was doing. I wouldn't recommend continuing through the pain. It will get better. I would recommend putting some pressure on it for sneezes though, OMG!!!:rolleyes2:

thanks for your replies. my doc just said "it happens and can take a couple of weeks to settle down" he was more concerned about any fever or oozing - which i dont have.

i have been holding a pillow to my stomach. sitting is actually the worst for me. i coughed yesterday and nearly died OMG!!!

i went for a short walk about 3 days ago but i was aching really badly when i got home.

mine is on my waistline too. so i havent dressed properly since the op.

glad to hear it does eventually clear up and you start to feel normal again. cant wait for that!

t

Is it normal to feel hungry between meals. I drink plain Water or use Crystal lite. Any suggestions. I was band on 12/20/07.

My port is located about 3 1/2" from my waist, and I have noticed if the waistband to my pants is a bit tight, port area is painful. Does anybody else feel like this:confused:

Mariagg54,

Have you had a fill yet? From what I hear its very likely that you will be hungry if you haven't had a fill.

thanks for your replies. my doc just said "it happens and can take a couple of weeks to settle down" he was more concerned about any fever or oozing - which i dont have.

i have been holding a pillow to my stomach. sitting is actually the worst for me. i coughed yesterday and nearly died OMG!!!

i went for a short walk about 3 days ago but i was aching really badly when i got home.

mine is on my waistline too. so i havent dressed properly since the op.

glad to hear it does eventually clear up and you start to feel normal again. cant wait for that!

t

I have been banded one year. You will be as good as new in no time and today will feel like a lifetime ago.......Good luck and don't worry ,the pain your feeling is normal. As long as it is somewhat tolerable. I was playing tennis 2 weeks after surgery, just to show you how we all heal different.

Janed

Hey there guys....I remember way back when I was banded that the port was sore, my port can get sore from time to time. For instance I caught my port on the countertop one day and gave it a bit of a pull....holy pooo..that was a dooozey! My port is at the to of my ribcage, I have no idea what these people are thinking putting your port so close to your waistline....was this a preop decision? Did you know that this was going to happen? What happens when the fat drops off and you have a bulging port at your pant line?? I am just curious can anyone tell me??? Good luck everyone it will get better before you know it!

Hi, I was banded on 1/3/08 and my port is still quite sore. At night is the worst, turning, etc. Glad to hear that others find it so. It always helps to hear all your stories. Thanks for sharing.

Have you been putting ice on it?

My port site was very swollen and bruised - I kept ice on it as much as possible for the first week or two and I think that helped a lot.

Some liquid Tylenol might help too.

It just takes time to heal.

Trace,

I was not told where my port would be. When I was in for the pre-apt. the nurse showed me hers. Which was higher up by ribs. I had no idea mine would be so low. I really hope it will not be seen. I will be getting a Tummy Tuck, and maybe the surgeon placed low as I have heard some people have this done for a tummy tuck??? But I have no idea as to why?

I am 5 weeks out and I'm still in agony near my port site. Went back to the surgeon yesterday and found out the reason - spasms in an ab muscle. He said he could feel it. I was told to take it easy and use warm things (baths, heating pads) to keep it pliable and do some stretching. I have screamed in pain out of the blue from this. The MOST painful thing I've ever experienced. I have stopped walking completely until things get better. I have also worn new jeans (two sizes smaller than my biggest ones!) and bent over in them only to scream once again. Loose clothes just work better with me right now. Don't be afraid to ask your doc for suggestions on how to make your pain better...It will improve I've heard. :smile:

ok, well went back to the surgeon today cos it was oozing a bit. think he was kinda shocked to see how bad the pain was.

he thinks one of the port's "claws" might be snagged on a nerve ...yikes, no wonder it friggin hurts. but he couldnt rule out a haematoma (sp).

He has decided to not go back in, but to get an ultrasound first. he thinks it will probably dissipate of it's own accord, but it may take some time.

so ultrasound next wed (it's a long weekend downunder)... hopefully everything is ok.

omg having him poke around was soooooooo painful!

t

I am just about at my goal weight and my port is very visible. I heard this is not veey common. It did change positions as I lost the weight. It is now located about 2 1/2 inches over and to the left of my belly button. For the longest time I thought it was scar tissue, but nope, it was the port. I can see it, cant tell what it is, just looks like a lump. I don't care. Small price to pay.

Start weight 218

banded 1-19-07

current weight 163

5'7