Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Treadmill - - Do you hold on?

I ususally hold on with one hand or the other, purely for balance. I'm not the most coordinated person, nor do I have the best inner ear workings. I have been known to lose my balance just standing in place, or taking a step. WHen I try to do a treadmill without hanging on, I an only do a few steps before I lose my balance or feel like I'm going to. Even just putting a finger or two on the controls or rails makes all the difference in the world.

i've been having major balance issues ever since i hit about 100 pounds gone.

when i am not running, i do hold on with 1 hand just to balance myself. i switch hands every .25 miles. right now im too unstable (i've been known lately to just get up from sitting and lose my balance :P) to not hold on.

Is the speed as important as the target heart rate? I wear a heart monitor and at 3.0 - 3.3 mph I'm hitting around 110. At this point in my journey, I'm happy with that.

I think keeping your target heart is more important for getting "exercise". But if your trying to "tone" your self you will need to give your muscles more and more challenges as you go.

I am almost 3 mths out since banding and bought a treadmill a week ago. I have to hold for the first few minutes then I swing/pump my arms but I also use the Lesile Sansone weighted balls and those give my arms a really good workout....

I think it has more to do with whether it's safe to let go. I'm 64 and have had two back surgeries which left me with balance issues. I have to hang on, but I just rest my hands lightly to keep my balance. It you can do it without holding, so much the better, but if you have balance issues, don't risk falling off. Just a note....be sure to use the safety cord so if you slip it will turn the tread off immediately. I fell off one years ago and got trapped between the moving tread and the wall. Ever since I've believed in those safety cords.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches