Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Cr@p that hurt

So I have 3 fills in now and have some restriction, only started to notice after this last fill. I find that I still eat way too fast (working on that). Man when I do it hurts like hell. I am a slow learner and have at least one episode a day. Christmas has been hell with all the cakes and breads. That is what seems to get stuck the most. I get one bite and then pitch the rest, pain has been a great motivator. I have not had a PB, yet, and after a minute or two of the most intense pain it passes. Is this restriction or not normal?

Hey Buffetphan, sounds like restriction to me. I have had one fill, 5 cc's in a 14 cc band. It really isn't enough though. However, sometimes when I over do it, eating too much, too fast, I get that intense pain and start to panic. Thank goodness it passes after a few minutes. That little reminder will help me to slow it down and take smaller bites.

I had exactly the same experience today. I had to try a neighbor's homemade bananna nut bread. Thank goodness I was at home. I swallowed and wow the discomfort and pain. I even had a small panic. I tried to swallow some Water to help, no such luck. I finally did this crazy neck stretch looking up at the ceiling and it shoved itself down scraping what felt like a layer of the inside of my throat with it. I thought exactly what you typed - what a motivator to eat properly. I think this restriction is totally normal. I have had my second fill and didn't fill this until then. I would like to say it will never happen again, but I know that sometime later I will forget and do it again.

Wow, you could be describing my experience this week. It sure hurts but it's so great to feel the restriction. Believe me, I won't be eating any more of my mother-in-laws cinnamon swirl bread anytime soon :eek: The little bite I took tasted great but I have no further desire to try another bite.

Robin

I am also a slow learner. For me it was Red Velvet cake. I tried it twice PBing both times. :rolleyes: Cake and bread just do not go down for me, but I still try now and again.

JP

After getting my 2nd fill on the 21st, I thought it would be a real problem at Christmas. Sailed through that with no problem. MY problem is I keep forgetting I have the band and pop something in my mouth and then take another bite too soon.

Holy CR@P that DOES hurt!! I like to think I'm learning, but I'm getting to the point where I don't want to eat anything because it feels like everything is getting stuck.

Back on liquids for awhile for me until it sinks into this stupid head that things ARE going down slower and to take it easy.

Old habits die hard...

-Becky :embarassed:

Becky:

I think it's a game and we have to play it. I eat too fast too. So, I bought these one minute timers from unclesgames.com. I take a bite and tip it over. I can't take another bite until all of the sand has gone to the other side of the timer.

Another trick I play is to keep my food in the other room. Take a bite, turn the timer over, and walk in the other room and read e-mails, etc. Then I go back and as long as the timer's done I can have another bite. I don't get to eat alot of hot food this way because it always turns cold, but I keep from getting that pain this way.

Good luck.

Sue

pineapple juice works great when stuck... I had that happen to me with noodles from "Cup of Noodles"... I took two really big bites of noodles and and didn't chew well and they promptly got stuck... The pain was so intense that I was screaming with pain... I finally remembered about the pineapple juice and took a couple of very small sips and just like magic the noodles passed through my band...

Before I was banded I had read somewhere on here that pineapple juice and meat tenderizer worked good for getting food unstuck, so I went out and bought me a six pack of 6 oz cans of Dole Pineapple Juice and keep it on hand.... I also have some meat tenderizer and know of someone who put it in some warm Water and took sips and she said it worked well for her... So there you go, you can take your choice...

After I was able to get unstuck with the pineapple juice, I have been careful to take small bites and chew, but I also need another fill... I'm not feeling much restriction right now...

If I eat too fast, or do not chew enough, God help me. I'm in so much pain!!! And the hic-ups start and they hurt like hell too! I have had 3 fills to date, now have 6.5 cc in a 10cc band and I have restriction, good restriction. None after the first fill, some from the second and the third really did it. And the 3rd was only .5 cc! But what a difference! But I am learning slowly to eat slow, chew well. So I suffer more than I should. :)

Hey all, the pineapple juice is a magic potion... I was eating some broccoli salad yesterday and apparently didn't chew very well again and it got stuck.... I was in such bad pain I was ready to scream, but I got out my pineapple juice and took a couple of small sips and after about a minute just like magic I felt it go plop.... I then took a few more small sips and rested my band for awhile before trying to eat again.... But what a relief to get food unstuck so quickly and not slimming or PBing... I now make sure that I have pineapple juice in the cupboard...

4th fill in today now at 4.7 cc’s in a 10cc AP band. Have only had liquid today but can tell it is not going down as fast as it once did. Regular food in the AM so I must remember to chew and take small bites.

Trying to remember to chew my food have been stuck a few times but not to the point of PB. I can feel drink and food like I have never felt them before, this must be restriction. Feels almost as if it is backing up.