Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there, I have a consultation with Dr Ashton at the Healthier Weight Centre in January, my BMI is 36 and I am absolutely set on getting a band. However, my family are not so keen and are constantly trying to put me off. They are saying I am too young to have this done (I'm 30) but if I continue as I am I'm just going to get bigger and bigger.

Can someone tell me about their experience is of the band, what happens after it's fitted in terms of what you can eat, discomfort, the impact on your life. can you continue to have a normal social life i.e drink alcohol etc.

Can you see where the port is after it's healed, can you feel it under the skin? Are the scars from the surgery big?

Sorry for all the questions... ;)

Hi there, I have a consultation with Dr Ashton at the Healthier Weight Centre in January, my BMI is 36 and I am absolutely set on getting a band. However, my family are not so keen and are constantly trying to put me off. They are saying I am too young to have this done (I'm 30) but if I continue as I am I'm just going to get bigger and bigger.

Can someone tell me about their experience is of the band, what happens after it's fitted in terms of what you can eat, discomfort, the impact on your life. can you continue to have a normal social life i.e drink alcohol etc.

Can you see where the port is after it's healed, can you feel it under the skin? Are the scars from the surgery big?

Sorry for all the questions... ;)

I was banded 11/27, so I can;t answer your questions from my perspective on the long term questions you have. But about the scars, the incisions are very small except for the port one, that is longer. The small ones are already nicely healed and I don't expect them to be very noticeable later. If I feel around I can feel the port under my skin, but cannot 'see" it.

Pain: I was in pain from the gas for the first four days. My incisions never hurt. I could only drink small sips of Clear liquids for several days and then gradually increased my Fluid intake.

It is a big decision and you should get as much info as possible as to the possible effects it will have on your eating habits and foods you might not be able to tolerate after as you will live with your decision a long time.

I think anyone that is young with a low BMI should be sure they have TRULY given all other diet options a REAL try before having surgery. This is my personal opinion, but I would completely understand their decision to have the surgery.

My BMI was just over 40, but I am 56 and trust me I tried so many other things first before deciding to have this.

Good Luck.

thanks for your reply, I know it's a big thing to have done, I do worry how it might affect me when I choose to have a baby but they assure me that there will be no problems. I have tried just about every diet and slimming pill under the sun and whether I have lost weight on them or not I ALWAYS put it back on plus more. I love food....and the only way I can lose weight is to do something drastic which forces me to stop using food as an emotional crutch or a reward or a celebration... it'll be hard but I think this is the best thing for me to do.

thanks... I will have a look. I notice quote a few people are talking about it being difficult eating with people who don't know you've had the band fitted...dare I ask why?

thanks... I will have a look. I notice quote a few people are talking about it being difficult eating with people who don't know you've had the band fitted...dare I ask why?

If you dare to ask, you likely know why~ ;)

If I swallow something too large to go through my stoma, well.. it's not going to go through so it has to come out somewhere and it comes up. It's also very painful.

I don't eat new foods around anyone, but I will eat known foods around others.

thanks for your reply, I know it's a big thing to have done, I do worry how it might affect me when I choose to have a baby but they assure me that there will be no problems. I have tried just about every diet and slimming pill under the sun and whether I have lost weight on them or not I ALWAYS put it back on plus more. I love food....and the only way I can lose weight is to do something drastic which forces me to stop using food as an emotional crutch or a reward or a celebration... it'll be hard but I think this is the best thing for me to do.

You're lucky to have this option at your age. When I was 30 these options didn't exist. Other good news, the less you have to lose, the less loose skin you'll have after.

Please get as informed as you can and know that this is not a quick fix. You will be able to eat after you get your band until you get "fills" to become properly restricted and many people still struggle with food issues after achieving proper restriction.

Read as many old and new posts as you can to get a feel for the "average" experience banders are having.

Sorry, if I sound a little pessimistic right now as I am in "bandster hell" stage. Almost a month post op, no restriction yet and hungry as all get out. First three weeks willpower was helping me, but I don;t know where "will" went!

Over all, (so far) it's been a positive experience for me, as short as my experience is.

ah yes I have read about that but hey you've lost 14 lbs which is fantastic... think how long it would take on a normal diet to do that. Just keep thinking of how slim you'll be by the summer

oooh nasty...do you get a warning... i'e do you have time to get to a toilet? Are you able to drink alcohol and have normal nights out?

Yes, people tend to have a warning. You get immediate nausea, then there is sliming (heh, that's always a treat for newbies to hear about), and sometimes it goes down, sometimes it doesn't. You LEARN to chew well and not make mistakes in public.

I drink alcohol once in a while but with any WLS you get drunk VERY VERY fast. I used to be able to put it away, not anymore. A half glass of wine the other night and I wanted to climb the palm tree outside my hotel room balcony, it seemed more reasonable than taking the elevator. ;)

lol...hillarious. So I'll be a cheap date :heh: Sliming eh....sounds attractive. But has to be more attractve than my big belly!!! I'm really excited about going ahead with this, I'm not really sure what the process is though... I'm hoping I have the consultation then if I want to go ahead it can be done quickly. I have read (although i think it might have been in the US) that some people have to wait months for approval? Guess this could be when they are not funding it themselves?

lol...hillarious. So I'll be a cheap date :heh: Sliming eh....sounds attractive. But has to be more attractve than my big belly!!! I'm really excited about going ahead with this, I'm not really sure what the process is though... I'm hoping I have the consultation then if I want to go ahead it can be done quickly. I have read (although i think it might have been in the US) that some people have to wait months for approval? Guess this could be when they are not funding it themselves?

I started the process last Feb. but had a difficult time with the insurance company. After going back and forth with them for months, I decided to self pay. After making that decision, I was banded within about a month.

yes I need to sort the funding out, I think I'm going to have to stick it on a credit card...there are a few companies offering 0% on new purchases for 12 months. I don't want to have to wait to save up and I know I wont get it on the NHS.

HI Dreaming,

I'm 32 and going to have lap band. I haven't seen my surgeon yet, but health fund said that they would cover it. Yes, I am young, like you, but I have tried WW, gloria flipping marshall, jenny craig, lite n easy (delivered calorie controlled diet), orlistat (Xenical), Optifast, Sure Slim...I"m sure you are no different.

My BMI is 41 and I have a bad back and very dodgy ankles. My family has luckily been very supportive, as has my medical practitioner. I just explained to them what it is like to be overweight, what I have tried to keep the weight off and how it will make my life better. I also explained that it isn't an 'easy way out' and that you have to work with your band to make it a success. This forum provides so much support and information (thank you everyone!!).

Good luck, we are all here to support you. I have my first appointment on the 1/7/08, so wish me luck!

Jen:girl_hug:

hi angel!

i was wondering if you could tell me if you went to see Dr Ashton? and was it with the Healthier Weight company? i am trying to find a good surgeon for my lap band! can you tell me what price they were charging for this and if you went ahead with the surgery was it successful and what was the after care like? sorry for all these questions but i really need to do my homework before i book an appointment as my funds are limited!

angie xx