Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I made it down to 144 on my own but I finally reached goal thanks to plastic surgery. I'm still recovering from my surgery 3 weeks ago. I actually went to mexico because I found a great Dr that I loved his work and he is board certified in the US as well as Mexico and Cuba. He is known for being very safe and I had to be pre screened medically twice before he would even operate on me. He also works out of a hospital so I thought I had all of my bases covered but my luck is always bad lol. I had complications but I still received amazing care. My only symptom after surgery was a fast heartrate. They brought in all the guns and had a cardiologist, the surgeon himself, a radiologist and the surgeons partner all come in and test me and discuss on my care. My blood came back with a hemoglobin level of only 6.9 and the ultrasound showed a large hematoma. So they immediately wrapped me in a compression garment and then taped me even tighter and I was given 2 blood transfusions through the night. Early the next morning at 7 am I went in for a second surgery to remove the hematoma and to see if I had any active bleeds which I did end up having an arterial bleed which they then fixed. I was also given one more bag of blood. I have the pictures of me opened all the way up during the original surgery and you could not see any bleeding at all so I don't know how this bleed happened but they acted quickly and I felt safe and taken care of the whole time. My dr always has everyone stay at least 1 night in the hospital and I think that is what saved me. So many people go home right away and if that had been me with no other symptoms, I am afraid to think of what could have happened. I was never dizzy or nauseous or even really tired. Just a fast heart rate of 120 with spikes to 150. Unfortunately because I had to have 2 surgeries my front Tummy Tuck scars are taking forever to fully heal but they are still doing great. No infections, just slow healing. I had a lower body lift which is the cut that goes all the way around and is great for tightening the front and the back. Lipo to my back and flanks, a small bbl and breast reconstruction. So I did have a ton of stuff done and with hind sight I may not have chosen to do it all at once because I wonder if that was increasing my chances of complications After the fact though I'm so glad to have it all done and not have to face any more surgeries. They removed about 8 lbs of skin and 2 in fat. I haven't weighed this little since middle school and I'm still swollen so who knows what my final weight will be. I'm so happy with my results and will have to share pictures once I'm fully healed. My youngest daughter and I went shopping this week and bought crop tops to wear together to Celebrate. I've never worn a crop top ever. So I'm looking forward to wearing it in the near future. Gastric bypass certainly has changed my life in amazing ways :)

That is so wonderful, and I'm glad to hear you received such good care. Do you mind sharing which surgeon you used? Sounds like you found a great one. Speedy recovery, and enjoy that crop top!

8 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

That is so wonderful, and I'm glad to hear you received such good care. Do you mind sharing which surgeon you used? Sounds like you found a great one. Speedy recovery, and enjoy that crop top!

Thank you! My drs website https://www.drpedropuebla.com/ Very affordable compared to US prices but I do have to say that the hospital was so tiny compared to US hospitals and language was a barrier that I should have expected but was a bigger deal then I would have liked.

Oh yes, I've heard of Dr. Puebla. Great reputation and the prices in Mexico are incredible. My starting height and weight and end goal are really similar to yours, actually. I swear, I just can't picture how I'll look at the end at all. But I guess if there's a chance I'll want skin reduction surgery, I should get going on Duolingo! I wonder how much Spanish I could learn in two years...

So fab to hear your story OP! Hope this gets you to where you need to be.

Congratulations but also gracious what an experience. How fortunate you have such a wonderful & caring surgeon who was on top of your symptoms straight away. Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly.

PS: Realising you weigh as much as you did as a child is a head trip. I remember when I realised I must weigh what I did when I was 12. Twelve! Back in the seventies! OMG! And I was just a normal sized child then (before puberty hit.) I actually dug out my tutu from then & it fit (actually was a little big). Freaky!

Edited by Arabesque

12 hours ago, Arabesque said:

PS: Realising you weigh as much as you did as a child is a head trip. I remember when I realised I must weigh what I did when I was 12. Twelve! Back in the seventies! OMG! And I was just a normal sized child then (before puberty hit.) I actually dug out my tutu from then & it fit (actually was a little big). Freaky!

It is the weirdest thing and amazing!

Im currently researching a Tummy Tuck procedure myself- and strongly considering traveling to Miami or Mexico myself- how long did you have to commit to staying in Mexico for your surgery?

As an aside- I went to TJ for my VSG as well. Wondering if the cosmetic surgery will cause Hair loss like the VSG did? I dont recall the hair loss with previous breast reduction, so I hope not!

Welcome any thoughts?

Edited by Sigh

10 hours ago, Sigh said:

Im currently researching a Tummy Tuck procedure myself- and strongly considering traveling to Miami or Mexico myself- how long did you have to commit to staying in Mexico for your surgery?

As an aside- I went to TJ for my VSG as well. Wondering if the cosmetic surgery will cause Hair loss like the VSG did? I dont recall the hair loss with previous breast reduction, so I hope not!

Welcome any thoughts?

I did not have to commit to any amount of time for my Dr but they do recommend 2 weeks because then you can usually get the drains and stitches out. I stayed 6 days at a recovery house and then another week at my moms because she lives just 30 min from the border. That second week I just sent pictures to the dr as needed for updates and then traveled once to go get my stitches and drains out before I flew home. You can travel the day after surgery if you wanted to but I would really not recommend that because I could barely move. I really had no pain and other patients of his seem to have no pain too. I was just on tylenol and nothing else for 5 days. But you are so stiff and numb its like wearing a plastic suit or something and makes doing anything so much harder. I am on several plastic surgery boards and so far basically no one is reporting any Hair loss like after bariatric surgery. I have not lost any yet but it also didn't happen until 3 months after my surgery before. So I'm hoping it won't happen but its too early to say for sure.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:05 PM, Hope4NewMe said:

I did not have to commit to any amount of time for my Dr but they do recommend 2 weeks because then you can usually get the drains and stitches out. I stayed 6 days at a recovery house and then another week at my moms because she lives just 30 min from the border. That second week I just sent pictures to the dr as needed for updates and then traveled once to go get my stitches and drains out before I flew home. You can travel the day after surgery if you wanted to but I would really not recommend that because I could barely move. I really had no pain and other patients of his seem to have no pain too. I was just on tylenol and nothing else for 5 days. But you are so stiff and numb its like wearing a plastic suit or something and makes doing anything so much harder. I am on several plastic surgery boards and so far basically no one is reporting any Hair loss like after bariatric surgery. I have not lost any yet but it also didn't happen until 3 months after my surgery before. So I'm hoping it won't happen but its too early to say for sure.

Any recommendations on what to pack for the recovery house? I am about to book!

19 minutes ago, Sigh said:

Any recommendations on what to pack for the recovery house? I am about to book!

How exciting! They should provide most of everything so you don't have to pack much :) Button up shirts/pj tops and loose pj pants were what I used the most. I brought gas x and Constipation meds because they only provided what the Dr prescribed. So extra stuff that you might use like allergy meds etc. I would bring. Also make sure you are allowed to take them. My Dr did not allow any arnica of any type even though that's a common supplement, So just double check. I spent the 1st week pretty much in bed and relaxing and then going to Drs appts. I did bring a lanyard to hold my drains and an extra long phone cord to keep my phone charged. Compression socks and faja if your dr doesn't give them out, mine did. Some recovery houses even give you all the toiletries. The hospital I went to sent me home with toothbrush, toothpaste, compression socks, slippers and a thermometer. So You might not even need basic stuff lol. Good luck though! What are you getting done and who are you booking with if I can ask?

Congratulations!! I am glad you had such a great team and that like you said you were still in hospital. I shiver when I think of if it was me and I was home I may not have even noticed my BP was up. If they specifically told me to take it every two hours, maybe but if not…

Anyways, it sounds like you found a little gem of a team over there and I’m sure your sharing will be helpful to so many. I think for my revision I may ask to go ahead and stay the extra night if they give me the option now.

I just wonder why they don’t have recovery houses for surgeries other than cosmetic. I assume they check things such as your vitals and make sure you follow all your post op instructions to the tee. That would be good option if you were still in a great deal of pain and lived alone or just live worn someone who has to work most of the day. Or they would have probably reported your BP to your excellent team and he would have requested they brought you back to hosptial.

That and visiting nurses. I have had them come to my home for both “cosmetic” procedures I’ve had but never have they mentioned them for the others. Maybe you just have to ask? ignore me, my mind is just wandering. lol. Congratulations again on your goal. I’m so very happy for you!! For that and that all the surgery stuff is behind you.