Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated About CPAP

I just got the results of my sleep study back and my sleep apnea has gotten worse. It looks like I will be back on CPAP for my pre-op period and while I knew deep down this would happen, I guess I'm just feeling frustrated about one more requirement to jump through. Any advice to deal with the disappointment I feel in my own health?

I’m on a cpap too. I don’t have any advice on dealing with the disappointment but if I were you, I’d probably tell myself it’s just another step toward health. And who knows, maybe you’ll recover faster and lose faster because you are getting quality sleep and rest? Could happen!

Sorry about your one more hurdle CPAP addition. I too was put on CPAP before surgery. I was one point (5.9 so 6) above the not needing it - it sucks I know. Just tell yourself.. Just one more step closer to your surgery.

What's odd is my CPAP score has gotten a lot worse since I had surgery! I was told (IF you can talk to a sleep doctor), they tend to diagnose / prescribe then from then on its crickets telling you its now under your GP's care - except they're not specialized in reading CPAP scores or diagnosing the machines data - that the change is due to my weight loss due to mask leaks...right...I have the nasal mask and its not influenced by weight gain/loss, so I've quit using it for now, especially since I'm past the required 3 months of usage by the insurance company.

So again, just do what you have to by jumping through their hoops to become healthier and get your surgery!

Awww, I'm sorry you have one more hoop to jump through! My advice for dealing with it is to let yourself honor that it sucks, that it is a frustration you don't want to deal with. Be mad about it! And once all the feelings ease, then put it in perspective. You'll lose weight better if you are getting better sleep. You'll have more energy with better sleep. You'll have your CPAP in the hospital with you in case you need it in recovery instead of having to use a hospital machine. And this need for CPAP is one more reason this surgery will be good for you and your body. Using it now is good caretaking and will make it that much sweeter when you can say goodbye to it because you don't need it anymore.

Thanks for the great words of wisdom! I had a good whine about it but now I'm ready for them to get my machine to me so I can get on with it lol

I understand your disappointment with one more hoop to go through. The good news is that if it is obstructive apnea (not central apnea) you will likely be off of CPAP once you lose weight. I was on CPAP for years (after I hit 220 pounds) and no longer need it due to the weight loss! Hang in there...this is such a hard time...the waiting.

Hi there! I’m sorry about the CPAP disappointment. I think it’s so easy, as pre-op people, to be looking ahead and anticipating the wins we will soon (hopefully!) see, so having to get on CPAP again must feel like a step backwards. I’d say just keep looking forward and get excited about how much will potentially change for the better very soon. I use a CPAP too and I was hoping I might be able to ditch it once I start losing weight (maaaaybe it’s just weight related??) but my doctor said I will probably have to stay on it for a year after surgery and then we will see. So let’s just look forward together and think of all the positive changes we will eventually see! I’m excited for that, for all of us on this forum. :)

is being on a cpap a requirement for the surgery? I have one but have never been able to wear it. I take it off in the middle of the night early without even knowing.

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, tbduarte1 said:

is being on a cpap a requirement for the surgery? I have one but have never been able to wear it. I take it off in the middle of the night early without even knowing.

If you have been prescribed one and diagnosed with sleep apnea, most surgeons will want a compliance report of the last 30 days at least. This shows you are using it, as you are a risk under anesthesia and in recovery if you are ignoring your machine and don't disclose you have sleep apnea.

If you are taking it off in the middle of the night you need a different style of mask, or your pressure needs to be recalibrated. I use the nose pillow that runs under my nose like a cannula, it doesn't cover my mouth and nose like a mask does. I can't sleep with masks. The nose pillow one is a game changer for me. It attaches to the hose on top of my head and the flexible side parts are hollow to allow air to flow even when I'm sleeping on my side. It isn't heavy either. A compliance report will show you are trying to wear it and for how many hours a night you are successful, that may be enough for them, it depends on the surgeon. But seriously, if you have sleep apnea you really need the CPAP for your cardiovascular health. My partner has the whisp mask that fits over the nose only but even that one was too much for me!

This is mine https://www.thecpapshop.com/respironics-dreamwear-nasal-cpap-mask I am super claustrophobic and it doesn't bother me at all once I got used to the feeling of it.

Edited by ChunkCat

2 minutes ago, ChunkCat said:

If you have been prescribed one and diagnosed with sleep apnea, most surgeons will want a compliance report of the last 30 days at least. This shows you are using it, as you are a risk under anesthesia and in recovery if you are ignoring your machine and don't disclose you have sleep apnea.

If you are taking it off in the middle of the night you need a different style of mask, or your pressure needs to be recalibrated. I use the nose pillow that runs under my nose like a cannula, it doesn't cover my mouth and nose like a mask does. I can't sleep with masks. The nose pillow one is a game changer for me. It attaches to the hose on top of my head and the flexible side parts are hollow to allow air to flow even when I'm sleeping on my side. It isn't heavy either. A compliance report will show you are trying to wear it and for how many hours a night you are successful, that may be enough for them, it depends on the surgeon. But seriously, if you have sleep apnea you really need the CPAP for your cardiovascular health. My partner has the whisp mask that fits over the nose only but even that one was too much for me!

I had a nasal pillow early on and a full mask, I always feel like i cant breath as I open my mouth and feel almost suffocated

43 minutes ago, tbduarte1 said:

I had a nasal pillow early on and a full mask, I always feel like i cant breath as I open my mouth and feel almost suffocated

Does your machine have a "ramp up" design where it starts off with very low pressure and gradually increases to the normal rate once you are asleep? That could help. I had to discipline myself to keep my mouth shut and breathe through my nose only, long, deep breaths until I acclimate. My mom uses a chin strap because her mouth opens during sleep and has issues with keeping the mask on. There are also nasal tabs some doctors can prescribe for sleep apnea that are not a C-PAP at all and I used those for a while and liked them. You might ask your sleep medicine doctor if they still use those, I used them years ago. I'm sorry it is so hard to get settled with a machine!!