Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass RNY 7/24/23

20 minutes ago, Jessica19922 said:

I’m down 13 pounds. It was 15, but somehow I’ve put on 2 pounds. I spoke to my surgeon and he said he didn’t want me to weigh myself at all because what’s happening now is not indivisible of the next few months. But I can’t not weight myself. I’m also stayed on the liquid diet as well through the purée stage. I’m now on soft foods. I had soft scrambled egg yesterday and it was fine. No issues.

I’m so constipated though. And I worry maybe I’m retaining Fluid. I was on a Fluid pill for years before surgery. I feel like I need to go back on that or something. Idk. I’m a mess.

but I’m glad to hear your doing well 🩷

Gained two pounds? Are you pooping less than normal? Maybe you need to poop? I haven’t gone up or stayed the same yet. I wonder why you gained 🤔

I did read that on another post about not weighing yourself all the time but to measure because you may be starting to lose inches for right now instead. And it’s hard not to weight yourself everyday. You want to see progress. I feel the same way. I totally get it. But it will make you crazy. Choose peace my love. Lord

I took a Water pill and Ozempic prior to surgery and was told to stop taking it. I would check with your doctor before restarting anything because of how your new body may react to it. It could make your pressure to low and have you pass out somewhere. Something weird. Be careful dear.

I’ve also been walking a lil over two miles every other day. Are you exercising yet? Maybe this will help sweat out the excess water weight you think you have?

Good luck on our new adventures dear. We are gonna be alright. 🤗

6 hours ago, Jessica19922 said:

I’m down 13 pounds. It was 15, but somehow I’ve put on 2 pounds. I spoke to my surgeon and he said he didn’t want me to weigh myself at all because what’s happening now is not indivisible of the next few months. But I can’t not weight myself. I’m also stayed on the liquid diet as well through the purée stage. I’m now on soft foods. I had soft scrambled egg yesterday and it was fine. No issues.

I’m so constipated though. And I worry maybe I’m retaining Fluid. I was on a Fluid pill for years before surgery. I feel like I need to go back on that or something. Idk. I’m a mess.

but I’m glad to hear your doing well 🩷

What about adding benefiber to your shakes when you blend them to help you poop? My doc approved me to chew gum and for some odd reason it helps me go potty. Also a lot of walking helps too. I do a lot of chores in the house to stay close to a toilet but waking at a park helps me with the fluid retention too! I can tell because I sweat like a pig. Lol

Please keep in mind these are only things that work for me/been approved by my doctor and may be totally different for you. Check back with your doctor or nutritionist. Make a list of things to discuss before the call. And then go thru the list. That’s what I did. Lol

7 hours ago, MsTeeTee said:

What about adding benefiber to your shakes when you blend them to help you poop? My doc approved me to chew gum and for some odd reason it helps me go potty. Also a lot of walking helps too. I do a lot of chores in the house to stay close to a toilet but waking at a park helps me with the Fluid retention too! I can tell because I sweat like a pig. Lol

Please keep in mind these are only things that work for me/been approved by my doctor and may be totally different for you. Check back with your doctor or nutritionist. Make a list of things to discuss before the call. And then go thru the list. That’s what I did. Lol

I took a laxative and Miralax and I pooped! Im afraid to weight myself though. I feel like if the scale does t say I’ve lost I may spiral again. I have pcos so I’m wondering if that or something else could be making me retain fluid? I have an appointment on Monday with my pcp and I’m gonna ask her what she thinks. Thank you for the suggestions. I’m gonna try miralax daily and hopefully that will help.

7 hours ago, MsTeeTee said:

What about adding benefiber to your shakes when you blend them to help you poop? My doc approved me to chew gum and for some odd reason it helps me go potty. Also a lot of walking helps too. I do a lot of chores in the house to stay close to a toilet but waking at a park helps me with the Fluid retention too! I can tell because I sweat like a pig. Lol

I took a laxative and miralax and I pooped! Im afraid to weight myself though. I feel like if the scale does t say I’ve lost I may spiral again. I have pcos so I’m wondering if that or something else could be making me retain fluid? I have an appointment on Monday with my pcp and I’m gonna ask her what she thinks. Thank you for the suggestions. I’m gonna try miralax daily and hopefully that will help.

Constipation is a big issue. I take miralax almost every day to prevent being constipated. You can adjust the dosage so it's not explosive. Maybe a half cap vs. a whole cap, every couple days vs. every day... whatever works for you. Just make sure you're keeping up with your liquids, though. laxatives pull liquids from your body to get things moving.
As far as enjoying food again. Once you're back on solids, it gets better. Just be careful not to enjoy them too much, if you get what I'm saying.

I took a laxative and miralax and I pooped! Im afraid to weight myself though. I feel like if the scale does t say I’ve lost I may spiral again. I have pcos so I’m wondering if that or something else could be making me retain Fluid? I have an appointment on Monday with my pcp and I’m gonna ask her what she thinks. Thank you for the suggestions. I’m gonna try miralax daily and hopefully that will help.
The scale can be a nightmare sometimes. Something to focus on are the nonscale victories. Also, take measurements and pictures of your progress (i do this monthly). It really helps to see the difference when the scale doesn't seem to move as much as you would like. Sometimes, we are losing inches vs. what the number on the scale is showing.

10 minutes ago, LindsayT said:

The scale can be a nightmare sometimes. Something to focus on are the nonscale victories. Also, take measurements and pictures of your progress (i do this monthly). It really helps to see the difference when the scale doesn't seem to move as much as you would like. Sometimes, we are losing inches vs. what the number on the scale is showing.

Yes I agree. I’ve started just weighing myself a couple of times a week because it was driving me crazy!

I actually weight myself every single morning. It’s a Noom habit that I’ve formed. It works for me so far. I’m just gonna continue with to do that for now. I’ve already hit a weight stall at 3 weeks out. Honestly think it’s poop related. Prior to surgery I use to go 2-4 times a day. Now I’m every 3 days even with proper hydration Fiber movement and Probiotics. Guess that’s my new norm. If I go past day 3 my stomach bloats and I’m miserable as hell. So far it’s only happen twice.

A new routine I’ve done is having most of my hydration in the morning. Water Protein Decaf tea and coffee. From the moment I wake up till around noon or 2pm. lunch. snack. Hydration again and dinner and or snack. Then finish the day with more hydration. If I try to keep the 30 min eat drink interval I don’t get enough hydration and I feel crappy. It works so far. Hopefully I wont have to change anything soon.

Does anyone else have a routine they would like to share?

Hope your doing well! Being home is a lot different than the hospital, you can actually sleep! Have your Fluid and Protein handy as it is a new mindset and habit! I was told 8 oz of fluid every hour! Welcome to your new life!

I spoke to my nutritionist and I’ve never been so wrong. Omg. I’m focusing on Protein which is right. But I wasn’t paying attention to the carb and fat content on items. 20 carbs or less. 10 grams of fat, sugar or less. And they would like 10 grams or more of protein per meal/product.

And I’ve gone over the recommended amount of protein once which according to the nutritionist means I’m grazing 🥹 My grazing is work related because I can’t really sit still so I take a few bites and before I know it’s been two hours of taking a few bites. I was told to remind myself to be selfish. I was also told I need a half a cup of vegetables with my 30 minute meal.

This is overwhelming for me friends. I’m struggling with the getting enough protein in during every meal already. Now I have to include veggies. Take calcium chews and watch out for too much carb fat and sugar. Ever since the last appointment Im only at 30 grams of protein a day. I am completely thrown for a loop.

48 minutes ago, MsTeeTee said:

I spoke to my nutritionist and I’ve never been so wrong. Omg. I’m focusing on Protein which is right. But I wasn’t paying attention to the carb and fat content on items. 20 carbs or less. 10 grams of fat, sugar or less. And they would like 10 grams or more of Protein per meal/product.

And I’ve gone over the recommended amount of protein once which according to the nutritionist means I’m grazing 🥹 My grazing is work related because I can’t really sit still so I take a few bites and before I know it’s been two hours of taking a few bites. I was told to remind myself to be selfish. I was also told I need a half a cup of vegetables with my 30 minute meal.

This is overwhelming for me friends. I’m struggling with the getting enough protein in during every meal already. Now I have to include veggies. Take calcium chews and watch out for too much carb fat and sugar. Ever since the last appointment Im only at 30 grams of protein a day. I am completely thrown for a loop.

It can be a lot to process. Always protein first and get what veggies in you can. As you get farther out, you'll be able to eat a bit more, so a half cup of veggies may be possible at some point. Make sure your Snacks have protein and add a protein supplement if needed. You'll get it.