Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! I itch everywhere

It started yesterday (Sunday). I woke up, and my palms were super itchy. Within 20 minutes, my arms and armpits started. And it spread to the rest of my body. I then started to get red bumps. I immediately thought I'm having an allergic reaction to something. Only I hadn't ingested anything or touched anything; remember, I woke up this way. I didn't have any liquid benadryl, and we needed to get ready to leave for church. So, I took a shower, and that helped some, and within a couple hours, it stopped. Now, today, Monday, it's starting all over again. I was reading that sometimes ketosis can cause itching because of the ketones in the sweat. So maybe that. I don't know. Has anyone experienced this? My RNY was May 1.

Could it be dry skin, since showering is helping? I sleeved in 2019, and I've noticed that I have to use lotion quite a bit more than I used to before the surgery.

Just now, brittany867 said:

Could it be dry skin, since showering is helping? I sleeved in 2019, and I've noticed that I have to use lotion quite a bit more than I used to before the surgery.

I thought about that too, but it doesn't seem like it.

Sure sounds like an allergic reaction to something, but I'm no doctor. Any recent changes to laundry detergent? Heat rash? Or maybe the fat you are losing is releasing stored toxins through the skin.

Hope it clears for you.

4 minutes ago, BabySpoons said:

Sure sounds like an allergic reaction to something, but I'm no doctor. Any recent changes to laundry detergent? Heat rash? Or maybe the fat you are losing is releasing stored toxins through the skin.

Hope it clears for you.

No, nothing has changed. I'm thinking ketosis. I have an appointment with my team Wednesday

I had that reaction to ursodiol (that many of us take the first few months post-op to prevent gallbladder issues), but if that were the case with you, it would have shown up before now. It may or may not be related to your surgery. Keep us posted!

I had a crazy rash after surgery I still don't know what caused it. It lasted 6 weeks. I now also get this crazy rash on my stomach every now and then again no idea what's causing it and it's only been since surgery it's been happening

I felt like my skin got itchy after my weight loss kicked back into gear, it almost makes me wonder if the process of my skin retracting makes it itch.

I suddenly developed a reaction like that to Zofran, a.k.a. Ondansetron. I notified the doctor about it before surgery and he was concerned because that's the "go-to" drug for nausea after surgery.