Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Liquid Diet -- too much fluid? Is that a thing?

I know that a lot of programs do things differently. My program calls for 2 weeks post-op liquids only, followed by 2-3 weeks of pureed, before moving on to soft foods.

I am near the end of my second week, and have been using beef and chicken bone broths along with cream Soups to keep some flavor sliding past my pallet.

My question is - Why does it feel like I can have an endless flow of liquids going into me? How does this tie into actual food, where I've been told that I will be able to eat a maximum of 2 tbsp of something like scrambled eggs? Maybe I'm not understanding how liquids don't rest in my pouch anymore? I'm getting in like 70+ oz a day between Protein Shakes, gatorade zero, Water, and broths/cream soups.

I feel like this is too much - am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like you are doing great! I had a concern too, that I was literally eating(sipping) all day, but was told once we progress to solids it will be different restriction.

I know that a lot of programs do things differently. My program calls for 2 weeks post-op liquids only, followed by 2-3 weeks of pureed, before moving on to soft foods.
I am near the end of my second week, and have been using beef and chicken bone broths along with cream Soups to keep some flavor sliding past my pallet.
My question is - Why does it feel like I can have an endless flow of liquids going into me? How does this tie into actual food, where I've been told that I will be able to eat a maximum of 2 tbsp of something like scrambled eggs? Maybe I'm not understanding how liquids don't rest in my pouch anymore? I'm getting in like 70+ oz a day between Protein Shakes, gatorade zero, Water, and broths/cream Soups.< br> I feel like this is too much - am I doing something wrong?

No you are fine. Yesterday I barely got 2 ounces of Protein in. Well today I got 60 grams in plus my Fluid. I think we are doing good. The restriction will come when we start to eat.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using BariatricPal mobile app

Fluids go through your digestive system much more quickly. Plus a lot of nerve endings were cut during the surgery & take time to heal which is why Portion Control is even more important from when you begin purées. When you’re more healed your full or had enough signals (be careful they can be different to those you are used to) will begin to kick in.

There’s a great video that shows how fluids flush solid foods through your tummy reducing our absorption of nutrients which is why we are advised not to drink 30 minutes before & after eating. This isn’t it but it shows the same thing & also helps understand how fast fluids go through our smaller tummy.

And yes you’ll have days when it’s more difficult to meet your goals & others when you reach them easily.

Your plan of two weeks per stage is pretty common. I was told 1/4 - 1/3 cup from purée.