Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Same Day Apposed To Overnight Stay

Hello, I am scheduled for my band on Jan 3rd and just found out this week that my Dr has moved into his own building and it is a same day procedure. At his old facility it was an overnight stay. How have you all done with same day procedures?

Lois

My insurance doesn't cover it as an overnight procedure. Bastards..... But my doctor discovered that 23 hours is considered less than one day. So they didn't start my "clock" ticking until they were wheeling me into surgery. I was released 23 hours later, so technically it wasn't over night, but I did sleep in the hospital and was watched closely during that time. They just worked around the restriction. It was marvelous.

My doctor does the same, we go home the same day from procedure they just monitor and do the fluro.

I don't think it is a biggie...unless needed for medical reasons or anyother that he might want to keep you it is same day procedure.

My insurance also considers it a same day procedure if it is under 23 hours. I figured that they didn’t start the clock until I was taken from recovery to my room because my surgery was around 7am and I didn’t leave the hospital until about 11am the next day. Granted, I had a crappy roommate (daughter spent the night with her and they talked and watched TV all night) so I think I would have gotten better rest if I went home, but was glad someone was there to help me get up out of bed the first few hours after surgery. And you do get the best pain meds in the hospital. LOL

My surgery was at 9:30 a.m., and I walked out, finally, at 8:30 p.m. I could have walked out at 4, if they would have let me. Hospital charged me for 24 hour stay though, as it is their minimum. That was a nice little $13k stick in the eye.

My surgery was at 7 a.m. and I was out by 1:00 -- home before 2:00. I am SO glad as I have never rested well in the hospital. I was comfortable in my own La-Z-Boy and my daughter was here in case I needed anything but I didn't really need anything.

My surgery was in a day surgical center and it was great. I live 6 hours (minimum) away from the clinic so my hubby and I rented a hotel room close to the clinic so we could stay the first night. I went into the clinic at 10am, my surgery was at 11am and I was back in my hotel room by 3pm. Slept comfortably off and on, went outside for a couple of short walks a few times and my surgeon called us at the hotel that evening to check on me... We drove to the clinic the next morning just so they see that I was up and about and feeling pretty good and then we drove home.

Personally I was glad when I knew it was a day procedure...I wasn't looking forward to being in a hospital overnight, theyre noisy, they smell and they have yucky food !!! :)

Patricia

11/16/06

306/205/175ish I think !!!

I actually had a very hard time with it... I wasn't able to leave the hospital till the next night. I think everyone is different. I had reacted poorly to the pain medication. I think that if there is a complication and you need to stay longer, they will keep you. I'm sure they won't send you home before you a capable. (That would be a law suit waiting to happen) Good luck!

Great post and great responses...

call your insurance and find out what THEY cover. If no stay...then you know it's a 23 hr and 59 minute thing.

But if they do cover it.... STAY and make your doc admit you!

This tip comes from OB patients who leave because they are worried about the bill. So they leave only to discover they could have stayed longer!

Good luck.

You will be fine in a surgical center. You are there just a few hours then you go home or to a hotel. I must say that I hurt like hell that night but it was because of gas, not surgical pain. I think I was better off suffering in a hotel room than in a hospital. The main thing you need is a recliner, and luckily my hotel had one. I slept if a recliner for several nights, then for 1/2 night for several nights and on the 7th night I could sleep in the bed. Yeah!

Hi,

I was in the hospital by 6:30 surgery at 9:00 and out by 2:30 pm... I felt great! I am really glad I went home to rest comfortably... They managed my vitals, took the xray to make sure the band was in the right spot, gave me some liquid roxicet & sent me packing. I wouldn't have had it any other way!

I live two hours away from where I had my surgery, so I stayed in town overnight anyway. The hospital had a onsite hotel that was only 15 dollars a night. I don't think I could have taken sitting in the car for 2 hours right after the surgery.