Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

recovery & lifting?

New member. Finally decided in the last month this was something I needed to do. Should be talking with my Dr 1st of the year.

Now, the questions: I'm a day care worker & my job involves changing diapers which means lifting them onto the changing table. My job also has no paid vacation time. I have 2 options before May (when school gets out & summer break starts). 1 is a 4 day weekend in February & the other is Spring Break. So, how long possibly before I could go back to work (I know every situation is different) & is there a time frame on when you can begin lifting again (if there is a lifting restriction)?

Thanks!

Hey...I have 3 little ones and i have to lift them up too. BUT, unfortunetly, my dr said I had to wait for 2 weeks before i could lift anything over 5lbs...So, my husbands had to help a lot.

Now, i did get a hernia fixed during my surgery, so I dont know if that makes a difference...Id ask your Dr.

Good luck to ya

When I went back to work at three weeks, my surgeon said I still couldn't lift anything heaver than 10# for two MORE weeks.

I started back to Curves at 4 weeks and did go back to the YMCA at 7 weeks, but the YMCA was too soon--so I have to wait until January to go to the Y again.

I was good after surgery at two weeks and one day (at six days, I finally put on clothes and my husband drove me to have my staples out). If your surgeon uses steri strips or glue, it may be easier on you.

Sorry--it COULD be the summer until you get there--but hang in and see the surgeon / Bariatric Center for the best advice! :confused:

My doctor told me two weeks - nothing over 5 lbs. and for 4 more weeks, nothing over 10 pounds.

Well at three weeks post op I went Christmas Shopping. The the 3 Grinches that live in my house refused to come and help carry packages. I felt good, so I did it anyway. Well, the corner of my incision popped open and began to ooze a little. NOT smart. I should have listened to the doctor. they tell you this for a reason... obviously. I was just stubborn and hard headed and ended up paying for it. I was very sore the next day and spent extra time in bed.

I'm ready to go to the gym, but after that, I'm waiting until after New Years!!

One of the biggest reasons for not lifting for WEEKS after surgery is because of internal stiches as well. Outside stiches heal much faster than the internal ones.

The port for example is stiched to muscle. The stomach is stiched over the band. These take weeks to heal. And, pulling those stiches not only is VERY painful (I pulled an internal port stich about 3 days after - moved wrong) it can also cause the stich to continue to tear resulting in hernias.

Best to wait - while it's minimally invasive surgery - it's still surgery.

I was told 6 weeks. It's very hard on my 3 year old and he's always asking me to carry him. I have found though that really what he wants is to cuddle so we'll sit and cuddle for awhile and then he's good to go.

This is my biggest struggle too. I was told 6 lbs max for two weeks and then 15 lbs max for another two weeks. At a week out, I had to pick up my 25 lb 2 1/2 year old son. No choice, he was going for a coffee pot at church and I was the only one close. It hurt, not terribly bad, but I was still sore from it the next day.

I'm TRYING to change my son on the floor unless someone else is home to lift him to the changing table. It's tough. Other things like getting him into the car seat are tough too. My doctors office said "well, he's 2, he should be able to get onto the changing table and into the car seat himself." Well, he CAN ... but he's 2 ... and generally CHOOSES for it to be a battle. Reasoning with a 2 year old usually does not end well for the adult. :eek:

Anyway ... just wanted to send you sympathy. How old are the kids you have? I would think that would make a difference.

Ohhhhhhhh...okay....I am worried. I have a 7 month old 27 pounds baby who needs lifting EVERYWHERE! Now what? I don't have any help....ohhhhhhh...I didn't think about this.

Just deciding to do it takes a lot of courage! I agree with what everyone else says & as you know everyone is different. It seems the glue stitches are easier to recover from than stitches that have to be removed ( had previous surgery with the sewing stitches). My surgeon said nothing over 25 pounds lifting for 2 weeks.

I had my surgery on 12/20/07 & went home on 12/21. I rested in bed pretty much with walking in between on 12/22-12/23 & then I was out & about for the holidays. I've done this twice with 2 surgerys & I find for myself I heal better if I don't nap during the day- yes, I take it easy & lay around, but I don't sleep. It seems I'm ready to go back to work quicker that way than when I nap & don't do a lot. BUT, you don't want to overdo!

I decided to keep this private & didn't give the impression to anyone that I had been in the hospital. so by day 4 post op I was fully functional, a little tight/stiff in places, but did great!

I did have immediate family to help me out & that was a tremendous help- I wouldn't advise doing this on your own if you don't have to.

For the person who works with children, maybe you could see if the other person in your room could lift the babies for the changing for you for a few weeks after your back. The 4 day weekend could be doable but you would be stiff/tight if you go back after 4 days (or maybe plan to take 1 or 2 days off on either end of that 4 day weekend). Of course, that's if there are no complications.

Spring break would probably be a good time for you because you'd have some extra healing time. Maybe you could do the surgery the Friday before Spring break & that would give you 3 extra days for healing.

Good luck to you!