Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating carbs

Last week, I was allowed to start eating bread and Pasta. I know plans are different, but this is according to my clinic's plan.

I tried pasta during lunch at work, and I had the sudden urge to throw up after only a few bits. I do have a tendency to sometimes throw up my dinner, but it almost never happens at lunch.

This weekend, I tried some bread, but it felt like eating rocks. I had some Chinese food with rice for dinner tonight, and although iI ate very little, I threw almost all of it up again.

Does this mean I'm not ready to eat carbs? Does anyone else tolerate carbs well at this point (3 months past surgery), or do any of you experience the same with eating wheat or rice?

try to keep carbs to a minimum... one slice of regular bread has a ton of carbs in it as well as rice... Remember we are suppose to be making better choices on our diets especially during the 1st year to get the most weightloss possible. There are low carb breads out there. This is the one i get. I was able to eat breads/carbs around month 2-3 ish but i kept it to a minimum. But yea if you are not doing well yet with bread. Then give it some more time to heal. if you want try taking a tiny bite, waiting say 5-10 minutes and taking another small bite and see how you do.

IMG_7280.JPG

I've kept carbs to a minimum most of the way along. I've relaxed that a bit in the last 2 months, and can tolerate a little rice and very small amounts of wheat-based carbs like noodles. But bread and I just don't get along well since surgery. It hits my stomach like a brick, and that happens after two bites of a sandwich. So while I'll always love bread in a general sense, it's something I can only have an occasional taste of.

This may well change in time, but my stomach remains happiest with just Protein and vegetables.

It's really individual. I don't exactly recall what I was able to do at 3 months out, but I am pretty certain it was VERY little Pasta or rice. I remember having to cook for my MIL after her surgery at around that time and I couldn't eat much of anything with pasta in it. Now I can have a bit more, but only a few bites if I am eating Protein with it (which I am, most of the time). If not, I can eat 3/4-1 cup, but that's it. Which is good thing because that's a portion.

bread is more complex. At three months, the only bread I tried eating was a half slice of toast. Non-toasted bread was not happening. Now, I can eat bread, but how much is partly dependent on the qualities of the bread - how fluffy it is, how dense, what else I am eating with it. Also... anything with two slices of bread is usually a no go. I always stick to one slice of bread, or half a roll, or half of whatever.

The only real exception to that rule is light English muffins. That portion size works well for me, but I am also 15 months out, so I wouldn't recommend trying that.

Like you said, everyone's plan is different. I too am allowed carbs. My team and Dietician stress a VERY balanced diet. Our bodies need everything, within limits.

With that being said, It depends on the carb for me. Soft breads also used to hit me like I swallowed a brick, even just one bite. Now, 7 months post op I can eat about a 1/2-3/4 of a piece of bread (REGULAR BREAD- NOT KETO/LOW CARB) at a time without issue.

I do fill up very quick on carbs so usually tend to have a bite or 2 and then eat the other stuff. For example I ordered a chicken salad wrap while out one day and ate 2 bites and then just ate the filling.

I have had a Pasta, rice, breads, crackers, wraps...you get the point. I have tried them all. I seem to handle them all fine now but still I only have a few bites and I'm done with them.

Some people do struggle more with them so you could give it a break and try again in a few months to see how you feel. Just focus on the Proteins for now.

Good luck!

i purposefully limited carbs the first two years (fist year-ish, <25g a day, second year-ish, <50-70 a day).

my team did not tell me to do this, it came about first by necessity (i had very little stomach real estate and needed to prioritize other foods, and sugar was my enemy number one back then cuz i was in the height of my dumping abilities),

...then i noticed that limiting it seemed to positively affect weight loss for me, so i continued, then it just became habit, then later it became a low-level fear of mine to get back to.

...slowly me and carbs got back together again and we hang out probably just as much as "normal" people do. though breads, rice, Pasta, etc still tend to sit heavily in me so its still in smaller quantities. but me and sugar are def in a much better place now lol.

i'm 4 years out.

Edited by ms.sss

my clinic didn't restrict carbs, but I know a lot of people have trouble with things like rice and Pasta. I can eat them now, but I remember for a long time they'd sit in my stomach like a brick.

I am also allowed carbs, but most don't agree with me. I can eat like 3-4 tortilla chips, or half a small/4" tortilla wrap. But that is it, and I don't really crave it enough to make it worth it.

I do feel extra full after, even though I do not over eat.

Last week, I was allowed to start eating bread and Pasta. I know plans are different, but this is according to my clinic's plan.

I tried Pasta during lunch at work, and I had the sudden urge to throw up after only a few bits. I do have a tendency to sometimes throw up my dinner, but it almost never happens at lunch.

This weekend, I tried some bread, but it felt like eating rocks. I had some Chinese food with rice for dinner tonight, and although iI ate very little, I threw almost all of it up again.

Does this mean I'm not ready to eat carbs? Does anyone else tolerate carbs well at this point (3 months past surgery), or do any of you experience the same with eating wheat or rice?

I had no problem with carbs at 3 months out but I did with certain meats from time to time. It seems like an individual thing reading all these responses. At 6 months, I was able to tolerate everything as if I never had WLS but just tiny portions of it

It could be too early for you or you may be like some of us for whom a lot of the more processed carbs like bread, Pasta & rice just sit more heavily in our tummy. Plus, they can fill you up very quickly which could set off vomiting. Maybe leave them for now & try again in a month or so.

There are some high Protein, vegetable-based pastas so maybe try those instead of traditional pasta.

I ate chicken Soup with noodles in when I was about where you are and it seemed like just the noodles irritated my stomach.