Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what did it feel like when you ate?

post op people:

what did it feel like eating after surgery?

puree?

soft?

solid?

was there a sensation difference besides feeling full quickly?

Interesting question, Kim. A good one. I don't think anyone has asked me that before. I didn't have any different physical sensation with either the vsg or revision except a feeling of tightness in the morning meal only, especially in the beginning. That was solved by drinking a warm drink, like coffee or tea, first to loosen it up a little. There was/is no pain whatsoever otherwise.

2 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

post op people:

puree?

soft?

solid?

No difference in actual eating (but i did/do) burp an awful lot.

Fullness felt different…it was/is a pressure in my chest instead of a bloated feeling in my lower abdomen.

further…when drank alcohol the first time (about 3 weeks post op) for swear i could feel it travelling down my intestines. After a few months (can’t remember exactly when) alcohol no longer produced that sensation.

I don't feel "full" the way I used to. Like ms.sss, I just feel tightness/pressure in my chest. When I start feeling that, i know I'd better stop or I'm going to be sorry. Some people have even weirder fullness cues - like sneezing or a runny nose.

Good question, the food felt higher up. I still felt like me. I remember being so impatient with the slow sipping of Water. Actual food was difficult for me because I had such bad Barrett’s esophagus and the healing took a L O N G time. I’m just so grateful that my throat healed and I can sing again!

Yeah interesting question! It's definitely not the same at all. With hindsight I felt properly full with tiny amounts at both pureed and soft food stages (I had a sleeve). Now that I'm eating everything I often know I can't eat any more volume wise but still don't feel full. It's weird - I call it empty full. If I really want that full feeling I wait half an hour and top up with something not Protein. Most times I can just ignore it though, it's not hunger at all, it's just not feeling full in the old way!

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I don't feel "full" the way I used to. Like ms.sss, I just feel tightness/pressure in my chest. When I start feeling that, i know I'd better stop or I'm going to be sorry. Some people have even weirder fullness cues - like sneezing or a runny nose.

Yea...I'm one of those who sneezes, usually 9 or 10 times in a row. LOL

When I answered above I was thinking of the physical sensations as I ate, not when I get full. I usually stop at about 80% full.

But true true that if I overate (with the VSG), I would get serious heart palpitations and not feel well till I finish digesting it. After the RNY revision, if I take one bite too many, I get a runny nose.

I'm still trying to figure that out!

If I overeat (or what I assume is overeating?), I don't seem to get any of the horrible symptoms I was told to expect, just maybe some additional upper abdominal pain? It's almost, but not quite like heartburn. I also notice, often a bit later, that I feel fuller lower down in my abdomen. I assume that may be me feeling the roux limb being full, but I'm not sure?

I didn’t feel anything while eating, but I was also super paranoid about eating too much and hurting my healing guts. Now when I do eat to a feeling of fullness, I get burpy and don’t feel well. It’s an ongoing juggle with me.

On 10/14/2022 at 2:39 PM, KimA-GA said:

post op people:

puree?

soft?

solid?

On 10/14/2022 at 2:39 PM, KimA-GA said:

post op people:

puree?

soft?

solid?

Dumping syndrome.