Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks post op ZERO WEIGHT LOSS AND DEPRESSED

At a loss here.

went to Mexico and had surgery Aug 12. Less than 24 hours after surgery I had to leave Tijuana because of the civil unrest going there.

I have only heard from the dietician once they do not answer my emails or messages through WhatsApp. to the point where I paid a dietician on my own here in Canada.

I went from consuming pre-surgery over five 6000 cal a day to now always sticking between 1000 and 1200 as per dietician.

I used to only walk 500 to 1000 steps a day and I’m now doing 5000 to 6000 minimum a day.

i have not smoked a cigarette even since before surgery.

I went for a colonic cleanse last week and I’m taking many many supplements.

because of kidney issues when I do take Protein powders I cannot take them anymore according to my doctor and dietician so I make sure to get lots of protein through Greek yoghurt and chicken or ham or turkey or other vegetables.

I started off day of surgery at 386. after surgery I was 373. When I made it back home to Canada five days later (stayed in California to rest before flight back) my doctor Weighed me at 367. Five weeks later I am at 365.

I have never puked, and for over a month I would get feelings of being starving now finally I’m starting to get where my stomach says hey you’re full but I’ve always been very careful to track everything that goes in my mouth from day one.

I am making sure to get all my liquids in.

I am so depressed at this point I don’t know what to do and I just feel like giving up and saying screw it and going back to my old habits.

I’m beginning to wonder if maybe the doctor in Mexico messed up the surgery or if there’s something really wrong with me

I’ve gone to my family doctor four times and she doesn’t seem that concerned and said that she’ll keep an eye on it.

has anybody else go through this?

21 lbs in five weeks is very normal. We started off at about the same weight, and that's about where I was at that point

I think shows like "My 600 lb Life" give people unrealistic expectations about their weight loss. You have to remember that those people start off at MUCH higher BMIs than the average WLS patient. Most of us lose somewhere in the 15-25 lb range the first month. So your loss is perfectly normal!

I went on to lose over 200 lbs - so the surgery works as long you're committed and stick to your plan.

Edited to add that almost all of us hit our first major stall sometime during the first month after surgery. It's usually the third week, thus we call it "the three week stall". That may explain the 2 lb drop over those couple of weeks (367 to 365 lbs). If you search this site for "the three week stall" you will find over 17,000 posts on it (and no, I am NOT kidding).

but overall, you have lost 21 lbs since surgery. Again, that's a normal loss for the first five weeks.

Edited by catwoman7

Two pounds lost in five weeks? How is that normal? It’s making me feel like something is wrong. The other 19 was legit the first week and included whatever the weight of my stomach was that came out and Water I was retaining. So what has changed since then?

I went and did a colonic hydro cleanse and came home heavier than I went in too.

ps. Thank you for your reply I do appreciate it ❤️

Edited by crazycatladycanada

You can eat way more than I could at 6 weeks out. I had a tough time of nausea and sickness. For months I only managed about 300 calories a day. Even now at 10 months out I can only manage 800 to 1000 Cals a day. This made me have slow weight loss because my body was holding on to everything, I managed to give it. So, let's see if we can find out what's going on with you

Are you on regular foods now or still on pureed? We are all given different plans so we don't know what yours will be. Can you show a food diary for a typical day ? How is your Protein intake ?

there are so many factors when it comes to weight loss and gain.

you can restrict too much and the body is in starvation mode and tries to conserve fat on the body.

you could be nutritionally imbalanced causing problems; not eating enough OR taking too many supplements.

you could be exercising more and loosing inches but gaining muscle.

the body could be retaining excess fluids due to an imbalance of some nature.

too bad you do not have a surgically support team following you. maybe get in touch with your gp and have baseline tests. glad you are talking to a nutritionalist.

also don’t just rely on the scale… what are your measurements ? are you staying the same weight but loosing inches?

6 hours ago, crazycatladycanada said:

Two pounds lost in five weeks? How is that normal? It’s making me feel like something is wrong. The other 19 was legit the first week and included whatever the weight of my stomach was that came out and Water I was retaining. So what has changed since then?

I went and did a colonic hydro cleanse and came home heavier than I went in too.

But you have lost a total of 21 pounds in 6 weeks so that is normal and good, I didn't loose that much.you will have weeks where you don't loose much it's part of the healing process and the journey in general

I don’t think the stomach they remove really weighs much. I didn’t lose any weight in the hospital. It’s possible that you were slightly dehydrated and lost more Water weight in the beginning since you didn’t spend as much time at the hospital hooked up to fluids. Then when you got rehydrated your weight loss that week didn’t show because you added Fluid weight?? There are honestly soooo many factors when you just went through major surgery that could cause weight gain or loss. It’s best to not even weigh yourself for the first few weeks. I would just look at the overall if I were you rather than trying to account for every pound because for six weeks out you are going great.

Edited by ShoppGirl

7 hours ago, crazycatladycanada said:

you said the day of your surgery you weighed 386 and now weigh 365. That's 21 lbs...

21 pounds in 5 weeks isn't zero... That is normal. Stalls in the first month are also super common, and I would say that the majority of us have had them. Normal weight loss with a sleeve is 10-12 pounds a month. you went beyond that.

Having the colonic emptied your system, now you are adding back to it. The Water that went in, did eventually come out, along with anything else that came out.

Just be patient and stick to your program.

I'm thinking there are some scale issues here as well. Any individual scale tends to be fairly consistent, but they can vary widely in terms of accuracy. This means I could weigh on one scale, step off that onto another, and weigh a lot more. I even saw this very thing at my surgeon's office. They have a very large scale that will weigh up to 1200 pounds, as well as an InBody BIA scale. The big scale said I weigh 8 pounds more than the InBody scale.

My point is if these were all different scales that you weighed on, you can't rely on them to be accurate. Pick one scale and use it (most likely one you have at home?).

Best to ignore the rest.

As my post mentions. I have lost two pounds in five weeks. To me that is pretty much nothing. I shouldn’t stall after one week.

i log EVERYTHING.

i have zero support from Mexico so paid to see a dietitian here instead of the six month wait through a referral.

the dietitian said because of kidney issues that landed me in the hospital week 2/3 to avoid Protein Powder (I’m also allergic to whey) and to keep my Proteins around 50-60. She also said to get minimum 1000-1200 cals a day. She also told me not to worry so much about the fibre fat and sugar and carbs right now. But I still do. I won’t eat rice, Pasta, or salads. And if I eat bread it’s only gluten free toast low carb. Any crackers are either made from cheese, sweet potatoes, or almonds.

we also went through all of my supplements and she said that they are perfectly fine. The colonic cleanser also went through all of my supplements and medication and also said they were fine.

I’ve also increased my calories as suggested by two other people who had the surgery by 200 cal the last few days which was really hard but it hasn’t helped any.

as mentioned in my original post I literally have never felt restrictions on what I ate I would have to stop myself. It’s only been the last couple weeks maybe even three weeks that I actually feel full. And that was a concern I brought up to the dietician to is that I can eat a whole container of yoghurt and still keep going if I wanted to. I never did though.

so I’m at a loss. Either there’s something really wrong with me or it’s completely normal to only lose 2 pounds in five weeks.

here are some ss from the app I use

1713DF31-8B8A-4022-8B69-E8FAF2B4829C.png

747D9573-1811-4590-9F44-DE5050531E6A.jpeg

96181E4D-6B58-4123-987F-354806FAD623.jpeg

5E5534C2-39A5-4340-9D83-9823371C6B8E.jpeg

5DE6BD4B-FD41-455B-85DB-65904DC6F1D2.jpeg

Sorry I forgot to mention I have also been taking measurements since September 7.

The only change on my measurements is my right upper thigh is half an inch less so I could’ve just measured wrong. Everything else is the same.

i also use the same scale daily.

edit:

open to suggestions and friendly criticism. I want to make this change my life.

Edited by crazycatladycanada

btw - yes, you can absolutely stall after one week. My "three week stall" (which most of us experience) was weeks 2 & 3. Not a pound lost during those two weeks.

1 hour ago, crazycatladycanada said:

As my post mentions. I have lost two pounds in five weeks. To me that is pretty much nothing. I shouldn’t stall after one week.

i log EVERYTHING.

i have zero support from Mexico so paid to see a dietitian here instead of the six month wait through a referral.

the dietitian said because of kidney issues that landed me in the hospital week 2/3 to avoid Protein Powder (I’m also allergic to whey) and to keep my Proteins around 50-60. She also said to get minimum 1000-1200 cals a day. She also told me not to worry so much about the fibre fat and sugar and carbs right now. But I still do. I won’t eat rice, Pasta, or salads. And if I eat bread it’s only gluten free toast low carb. Any crackers are either made from cheese, sweet potatoes, or almonds.

we also went through all of my supplements and she said that they are perfectly fine. The colonic cleanser also went through all of my supplements and medication and also said they were fine.

I’ve also increased my calories as suggested by two other people who had the surgery by 200 cal the last few days which was really hard but it hasn’t helped any.

as mentioned in my original post I literally have never felt restrictions on what I ate I would have to stop myself. It’s only been the last couple weeks maybe even three weeks that I actually feel full. And that was a concern I brought up to the dietician to is that I can eat a whole container of yoghurt and still keep going if I wanted to. I never did though.

so I’m at a loss. Either there’s something really wrong with me or it’s completely normal to only lose 2 pounds in five weeks.

here are some ss from the app I use

Stalls in the first few weeks, including week 1, are very common and to be expected. My doctor reassured me of that right away.

I can tell you that from my plan and in office nutritionist, we were told do not eat or drink anything that has more than 5-10 g of sugar in a sitting.

Maybe try swapping some of the carbs for Protein, as the body will try to use the carbs in lieu of stored fat for fuel if it can. My program recommends eating your protein, if still hungry, eat good green veggies, and then after that if you really need something, go for a low sugar fruit.