Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I cheated - now what?

I got groceries yesterday and made butternut squash puree from frozen package. It was very good for lunch but I was super hungry for dinner. I microwaved a potato and pureed it into the squash to try and help fill me up. Now the cheating:

-I ate Peanut Butter crackers before going to bed - the small 9 pack (crackers are orange)

-This was after having 2 popsicles (1 before/1 after dinner) and I ate (1) ravioli (My kids had ravioli lasagna)

I also increased my Fluid intake quite a bit and had to take larger sips last night to get some pills down - one got caught somewhere. I knew what I was doing was wrong but I knew fluids and chewing would dissolve the crackers which it did. Welcome to my relationship with food - eat it/hide that you did/suffer later physically and emotionally. This gets worse around my cycle which I have currently.

I went to bed full and burping a little. I expected to be in pain or throw up but neither and I slept pretty well. This morning I am extremely full, feel bloated and have no desire to eat or drink. Im also a little more winded - happens when I drink too much (fluid issues with heart and lungs). I plan to take things slow today but any advice? I don't want to tell my family - I feel like such a failure. This was day 4 postop.

12 minutes ago, Mebby said:

I plan to take things slow today but any advice?

Congratulations on a successful surgery so far!

Are you supplementing for Protein ? You may feel more satisfied if you increase protein. Carbs sometimes can make you hungrier.

It may help to eat separately from your family for a while. It could be really helpful if you eat before you prepare your family’s meals so you are full and no longer tempted to eat off plan. Also please if you can help it, don’t eat off plan this early post op especially if solids aren’t allowed yet.

I assume you are at the pureed stage? I was allowed crackers at soft foods because they chew to soggy mush.

You cheated, live learn and move on doing better. You don't want to harm your healing belly.

You can do it!!

First, if you're gonna cheat, cheat on something better than Peanut Butter Crackers. Sure, PBCs sounds great but come nowhere near delivering on the promise. OK, here is what you need to do:

1. What's done is done. Kicking yourself over and over just keeps the PBC on your mind. Move on;

1. Get rid of the other packages of Peanut Butter Crackers. If you aren't sure you can stay away from them until they are not cheating then destroy them (perhaps by giving them to family members);

Now, more generally:

Your habit of hiding your eating should be addressed with a therapist. If willpower alone could have dealt with it it would be gone already. There are emotions associated with why you are hiding your eating that you should explore and develop coping mechanisms along with behavioral change tactics.

You are not a failure. You are not in this alone. This is a perfect opportunity to model for your family how responsibility should work. You will earn their respect and even more importantly, your own.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

Don’t beat yourself up. Like others have said what’s done is done. But the underlying issue may be something to explore in therapy. The surgery fixes your stomach but but your head. Many people swear by the work that they do in therapy and how life changing it is. Maybe ask your team for a referral to a therapist that specializes in bariatric therapy.

I'm not sure where you are weeks past surgery, but it sounds like maybe you've graduated past pureed foods and into the next phase where you can eat what my doctor calls "mashed foods". It sounds like you aren't in a phase where you can have something as solid & dry as a cracker. Please take care of yourself so you don't hurt your esophagus and tummy!

That being said, sh*t happens and all we can do is admit we messed up and then move on and make better choices!

You can do this, I can tell you want to do this, butternut squash for lunch and dinner, GO GIRL!

Also, the fact that you had mashed potato and a ravioli means you added some carbs to your diet and your brain went WHOA! CARBS! LOVE THOSE! When, that happens, its harder to resist a craving for MORE carbs. Stick with things that are high Protein and low carb and you'll feel so much better and have less cravings!

Post op day 4 is very early on.
I knew someone who got seriously hurt for going off course. So, I usually try to remind everyone who goes off program in the early days that post op diets aren't about weightloss but safety. You don't want to end up with a leak like she did. It takes your stomach 6 to 8 weeks to heal. Stay safe. If no harm was done, as others said, live and learn.

Most people are still on full liquids at your stage. Your tummy needs time to recover. That said, I'd be more worried about the urge to eat and echo others concerns that you need to talk with a therapist.

On 9/6/2022 at 9:53 AM, The Greater Fool said:

First, if you're gonna cheat, cheat on something better than Peanut Butter Crackers. Sure, PBCs sounds great but come nowhere near delivering on the promise. OK, here is what you need to do:

1. What's done is done. Kicking yourself over and over just keeps the PBC on your mind. Move on;

1. Get rid of the other packages of Peanut Butter Crackers. If you aren't sure you can stay away from them until they are not cheating then destroy them (perhaps by giving them to family members);

Now, more generally:

Your habit of hiding your eating should be addressed with a therapist. If willpower alone could have dealt with it it would be gone already. There are emotions associated with why you are hiding your eating that you should explore and develop coping mechanisms along with behavioral change tactics.

You are not a failure. You are not in this alone. This is a perfect opportunity to model for your family how responsibility should work. You will earn their respect and even more importantly, your own.

Good luck,

Tek

There is some very good advice . You are not alone in this. I'm 20 day post op and I have what I call fat brain. I eat not because I'm hungry. I eat because my brain is yet to resolve my habits. I eat late and too much.it has been my issue for 30 years and it will take time to relearn better habit.

One thing that I'm doing is to eat better Protein at night and have suger free Snacks for night. sugar free Jello or pudding and or no added sugar Greek yogurt . Another thing I'm trying as of two days is I put on a timer and eat two small spoonfuls every five minutes.

I have tossed out all temptations and snacks in house. If I'm learning new eating habits then everyone in my home is also. No chips, no pop, ice cream or junk food. It is a great time to teach kids the importance of cooking healthy and learning Portion Control.

It is not an easy road but it can be done and you will need support from family and friends. We are here for you also. Best wishes and good health on your weight loss journey!!

I have a question! I had my surgery on Wed and I’m so so thirsty for cold Water. They said tiny sips but will I really stretch out my pouch? I’m thirsty! Do I have to take tiny little sips over and over ? And how much can I sip? I don’t want it to sit in my pouch and stretch it.

1 minute ago, ShileeBenson said:

I have a question! I had my surgery on Wed and I’m so so thirsty for cold Water. They said tiny sips but will I really stretch out my pouch? I’m thirsty! Do I have to take tiny little sips over and over ? And how much can I sip? I don’t want it to sit in my pouch and stretch it.

Avoid drinking too much too fast, as it is likely to not only hurt but can do damage, especially being that recent to your surgery date. I would constantly sip all day long. It takes roughly 10 seconds or so for a sip of Water to run to your stomach and through it, so to be safe I would leave about 30 seconds minimum in between sips to ensure it has cleared your stomach. And for safety's sake, if you feel a "new" pain, stop stop stop sipping until the pain fully goes away. If you constantly sip, you shouldn't have a terrible time reaching your goal. Once you are hydrated that thirst feeling subsides quite a bit.

Best of luck to you.

I’m having bypass a week from Monday 19th am on LRD I have cheated a couple of times and feel awful about it. Hope it doesn’t jeopardize my surgery. Help

Cravings are rough, when I was at that stage all I wanted was salt so I would lick the salt off of tortilla chips but not eat them.