Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutritionalist consult

Just got done with the nutrition consult. Another tick box down!

I got a lot of information. Glad that I am already working on food issues!!

my pre-op diet will be 3 weeks of carb control (50 carb limit) or Meal Replacement Protein Shakes for Breakfast, lunch, snack and Protein and vegetables for dinner. I believe I will do the carb control.

how does this compare t other pre-op diets?

My 6 month pre-op diet was high Protein, low fat, and low sugar. Protein Shakes in between and absolutely no juice/soda. I do drink sugar free juices by Minute Maid.

you're lucky. My pre-op diet was two weeks of no-cal (or ultra-low-cal) liquids, SF popsicles, SF Jello, and 4-5 Protein Shakes a day. It was dreadful.

Mine was 800 calories a day max for 2 weeks. There are so many different approaches in different centres but they're all aimed at shrinking the liver to make the surgery technically easier. Good luck with yours!

8 hours ago, jenuinelygenuinely said:

My 6 month pre-op diet was high Protein, low fat, and low sugar. Protein Shakes in between and absolutely no juice/soda. I do drink sugar free juices by Minute Maid.

Watch the juice. Even though it may not have added sugar, the fruit itself naturally contains a lot. A juice is equivalent to eating several pieces of fruit too. We’re often told no juice at all & usually advised to slowly add small amounts of fruit (so you get all the fibre & nutrients in the whole fruit not just some of it from juice) as you progress through your weight loss.

Check with your dietician, though.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Watch the juice. Even though it may not have added sugar, the fruit itself naturally contains a lot. A juice is equivalent to eating several pieces of fruit too. We’re often told no juice at all & usually advised to slowly add small amounts of fruit (so you get all the fibre & nutrients in the whole fruit not just some of it from juice) as you progress through your weight loss.

Check with your dietician, though.

Great thing to be mindful of. My post op guidelines are no more than 8 oz of juice a day.

18 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

you're lucky. My pre-op diet was two weeks of no-cal (or ultra-low-cal) liquids, SF popsicles, SF Jello, and 4-5 Protein Shakes a day. It was dreadful.

That will be me for my two week pre-op surgery liquid diet. Absolutely NO solids drinking 4 shakes a day! I just bought an 18 case box of Premier Protein and found out there's a recall on them!

1 hour ago, jenuinelygenuinely said:

That will be me for my two week pre-op surgery liquid diet. Absolutely NO solids drinking 4 shakes a day! I just bought an 18 case box of Premier Protein and found out there's a recall on them!

Which ones are recalled? I haven’t seen that

3 hours ago, KimA-GA said:

Great thing to be mindful of. My post op guidelines are no more than 8 oz of juice a day.

Some programs encourage a bit of low level "carb loading" post op to counter the fatigue and lethargy that many experience after surgery. oatmeal, cream of wheat, refried Beans - as appropriate for different phases - and dilute fruit juices are common for those programs. They often suggest diluted juice, both to cut down the sugar and calorie hit, and also pure fruit juice might be a bit of a sugar shock to the system that has been purged of it pre-op.

Our program didn't have any pre-op diet requirements other than the usual day before surgery thing, but insurance required six months of a "medically supervised" diet and exercise program, which for us was just a self directed effort documented by our PCP with roughly monthly visits. I didn't do anything special that I had not been doing the previous few years in what was essentially a WLS maintenance lifestyle (my wife had her WLS several years before, so were already in the habit.)

My 2 week pre-op diet was 3-4 shakes a day with no more than 200 calories each and minimum 15g of Protein, celery and cucumbers, and 1-2 cups of chicken or beef broth a day. Absolutely NO popsicles or sugar free Jello. I would constantly be shaving celery with a peeler into “noodles” and then adding it to the broth for a Soup of sorts.

AND I was super lucky enough to do it twice in an 8 month period. 😂 (needed a hernia repair surgery that was coupled with a VSG to RNY revision to reduce chances of future hernias.)

Edited by Starwarsandcupcakes

Mine was dreadful too. All clear liquid diet. 10 days of if.

Of your choices, I would totally go for the carb control option.