Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I'm scheduled to have my gastric sleeve surgery on July 11th. I tested positive for Covid on July 1 (rapid) and July 2nd (PCR). Do you think my surgery will be postponed? I know the rules change frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/03/2022 at 11:44, Journeyoflove said:



I'm scheduled to have my gastric sleeve surgery on July 11th. I tested positive for Covid on July 1 (rapid) and July 2nd (PCR). Do you think my surgery will be postponed? I know the rules change frequently.


It might be. I’ve read a lot of posts of people who’s surgery was delayed due to COVID. Have you contacted your surgeon’s office and let them know you tested positive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Journeyoflove said:

I'm scheduled to have my gastric sleeve surgery on July 11th. I tested positive for Covid on July 1 (rapid) and July 2nd (PCR). Do you think my surgery will be postponed? I know the rules change frequently.

It's likely. I tested positive two days prior to surgery and they had to postponed it, I believe, at least 30 days (ended up being more than 90 due to scheduling). But I'm sure your surgeon will let you know. Hopefully not, for some reason. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may not even be positive still by the time your surgery day comes around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a good point. My hospital required a test 3-5 days prior to surgery. I'd guess yours does, too. Put it off as long as possible and you might be negative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, lvetere83 said:

It might be. I’ve read a lot of posts of people who’s surgery was delayed due to COVID. Have you contacted your surgeon’s office and let them know you tested positive?

Yes, but with it being the holiday weekend no response probably until Tuesday :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, doobie31 said:

That's a good point. My hospital required a test 3-5 days prior to surgery. I'd guess yours does, too. Put it off as long as possible and you might be negative.

Yes I have my pre-covid screening scheduled for July 9th, 2 days before my surgery so I'm praying I'm symptom free and negative!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, doobie31 said:

It's likely. I tested positive two days prior to surgery and they had to postponed it, I believe, at least 30 days (ended up being more than 90 due to scheduling). But I'm sure your surgeon will let you know. Hopefully not, for some reason. Good luck.

Ughhh I hope I don't have to be postponed. :( Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Journeyoflove said:

Ughhh I hope I don't have to be postponed. :( Thank you!

I personally would not mention to them I was positive unless specifically asked. I'd just go on with my scheduled test and the result of that is all that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/03/2022 at 10:59, doobie31 said:






I personally would not mention to them I was positive unless specifically asked. I'd just go on with my scheduled test and the result of that is all that matters.


This is so incredibly selfish and irresponsible. And also can have potential health ramifications for the patient. You don’t want to undergo surgery which includes intubation when your lung function is compromised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kristieshannon said:

This is so incredibly selfish and irresponsible. And also can have potential health ramifications for the patient. You don’t want to undergo surgery which includes intubation when your lung function is compromised.

I have tested for covid exactly twice, my two tests prior to my scheduled surgeries. Was never asked if to do any further tests. Have no idea if or when I ever had covid, just know I never had symptoms. Was never asked if I had covid. Was told to inform them if I had any cold symptoms before surgery which I did even though I had not been tested yet. I specifically said be honest with the surgeon. I presume they know what they're doing. That's enough for me. If it's not for you, fine. But I'm not going to criticize your decision. But thanks for your opinion of me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/03/2022 at 12:36, doobie31 said:






I have tested for covid exactly twice, my two tests prior to my scheduled surgeries. Was never asked if to do any further tests. Have no idea if or when I ever had covid, just know I never had symptoms. Was never asked if I had covid. Was told to inform them if I had any cold symptoms before surgery which I did even though I had not been tested yet. I specifically said be honest with the surgeon. I presume they know what they're doing. That's enough for me. If it's not for you, fine. But I'm not going to criticize your decision. But thanks for your opinion of me


It isn’t just a personal opinion. I’m a nurse who has worked at a public health hospital through this pandemic. Irresponsibility and selfish behavior is what has led to it continuing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, doobie31 said:

I personally would not mention to them I was positive unless specifically asked. I'd just go on with my scheduled test and the result of that is all that matters.

Yea but they ask you if you have been exposed or if you had a test that was positive when you do a test (or at least they have always asked me). Plus I would want to warn the nurse doing the test that I had tested positive before removing my mask so they could try to be extra careful and hopefully not catch it themselves. Also, I would be worried that I may not be physically fit to do surgery. if you have any symptoms at all that cough seems to linger long past the negative follow up test on this variant (my husband just had it). That would make me worry about the safety of doing the procedure. I personally would want the doctor to be aware of everything like that. If totally asymptomatic you may be fine although I think I would still ask the dr just to be safe. I know waiting a number of days sucks when your ready to do this but not if it helps prevent a serious complication. It’s always best to be totally honest with your team.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Journeyoflove said:

I'm scheduled to have my gastric sleeve surgery on July 11th. I tested positive for Covid on July 1 (rapid) and July 2nd (PCR). Do you think my surgery will be postponed? I know the rules change frequently.

Let your surgeon or office know. Some aspects of of Covid will affect your anesthetic and how you heal. Give your body the best chance it has to recover from this major operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Tim in Tampa

      Just started my pre-op diet today!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      To working out faithfully for 5 days a week. Lets go back to that year with a more positive mind, 
       
      SKINNY SZN HERE WE COME!!!!
       
      It's Saturday!!! My fiance and I are out doing yard work and I made the mistake of not staying hydrated before going out so now my body is shaking and weak. I have my pre-op appointment Tuesday, the 2nd and I am trying my hardest to lose another 2 lbs by then. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • jenuinelygenuinely

      Hi guys!!!
      Here is my big boy Zuko and daddy. My Great Dane/Shepherd. He was our first pup that we rescued from the Humane Society. 

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SimplySleevedCece

      Looking for new sleeve buddies! I’m 1.5 weeks post op and things seem to be getting a little difficult! I actually WANT food again eghh! Honestly, I feel like you don’t truly understand this process unless you go through it! Don’t be shy, say hello and let’s support each other during this journey 🙂
      · 1 reply
      1. jenuinelygenuinely

        You got this!! When I had the sleeve I cried every day during the liquid phase, It was during the super-bowl! I was sooo hungry I sucked on a piece of pork rind. LOL

    • jenuinelygenuinely

      A daily dose of my youngest fur boy Ozai
       
      My blue eyed Husky/Malamute

      · 2 replies
      1. SHORTY_

        Makes me wanna 'boop' it

      2. SimplySleevedCece

        😍 Aww look at his wittle teeef!

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×