Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Band Update (REALIZE)

Sitting at the airport after a proctor surgeon meeting on the new Ethicon REALIZE band:

The website www.RealizeBand.com will be updated soon as they launch additional features. The new site will have many features to assist patients in their weight loss.

The band holds a total of 9cc (I had incorrectly posted 10cc earlier - my apologies for the error).

Proctoring surgeons can offer the new band now and will be proctoring other surgeons across the U.S. soon.

I'll keep you updated as new information becomes available.

How does it compare to the Lap-band ? What are your (honest) thoughts ?

How does it compare to the Lap-band ? What are your (honest) thoughts ?

Very equal bands in my opinion (both great).

Studies show the outcomes to be very similar.

There are subtle differences in the surgical technique but patients wouldn't perceive this. The REALIZE band port has a self-anchoring mechanism as opposed to stitching it to the muscle lining and some people think this may cause less port discomfort while it's healing. After healing they would both feel the same. The REALIZE port is less prominent and bigger around.

The two companies are competing with value adds. The REALIZE company (Ethicon/Johnson & Johnson) has an impressive website ("mySuccess" on www.realizeband.com) that you have access to as a patient. I would imagine that Allergan will be close behind with their version of a patient website.

I can honestly say that I'd have either one of them gladly. They are both superior products from great companies that will continue to innovate. Like most things I think having two companies competing is good for patients and surgeons.

I think some practices will offer one or the other. We will always offer both. I'm a proctor surgeon for both companies and happy to answer any specific questions.

The port on the Realize band is what interests me. A self-anchoring mechanism? How does that work? I have checked out the Realize web site and they don't explain that at all. Sounds like that would be a very good thing.

The port on the Realize band is what interests me. A self-anchoring mechanism? How does that work? I have checked out the Realize web site and they don't explain that at all. Sounds like that would be a very good thing.

Maybe, maybe not. I guess we have to wait a few years and see what happens to patients that get it. I'm actually having my port moved on the 27th since I've lost a lot of weight and the current one is protruding. I'm getting a new low profile port and they're going to put it under the muscle.

Having it stitched down in my head makes me more comfortable so I don't have to worry about it getting detached.

What I can tell you about the Realize band is that you go solid foods sooner. Rather than 2 weeks on solid liquids and 2 weeks on soft foods, I spend one week on each before transitioning to a normal diet.

Pizzaman,

I think that your diet is solely based on your doctor. I have the Realize band (Jan 7) and my diet is just as if I had any of the other bands.

Week 1-Clear Liquids

Week 2-Full Liquids

Week 3-Mushies

Week 4-Transition to solid food

I think that each doctor makes up their own, I know that I've read some post where people were eating eggs 3 days post-op.

NukeChik, my doctor is probably about as cautious as they get. Both he and the hospital's dietitian gave me the same instructions. I'm guessing that the Realize band allows for quicker healing and transition.

I have the realize band.

The port anchors to the muscle wall with some type of a clamping system instead of stitching.

I can feel the port through my skin, but it isn't overly noticable. My dr. said that he would use either band based on the patients anatomy. He chose Realize for me.

Honestly, I havne't noticed any different symptoms with my band, than with other bands. I have the same gas.. same pains and same tummy noises!

I'm excited to see some results. I'm just 3 weeks out of surgery, and I've really not had any changes in weight. I lost 20 pounds pre-surgery, but nothing since.

There is a plastic device that comes with the J&J band. It looks a lot like a glue gun. The port is anchored to the bottom of the glue gun looking thing and it has staple like things on the bottom of the port itself. The doctor, with the port attached to the glue gun looking thing, places the port where he wants it. He works the mechanism of the glue gun looking thing and the staple looking things grab hold of a hunk of tissue and hang on for dear life.

It's very aggressive looking.

Of course, "glue gun looking device," "staple like things," and "grab hold of a hunk of tissue" are all legit medical terms commonly used in hospitals today. :eek:

The Inamed band is carefully stitched into place exactly and precisely where the surgeon wants the sutures to be.

The J&J port looks like a thick quarter, there are no holes to thread sutures to as the glue gun looking device is used in place of sutures.

The Inamed port has more doily features around the edge, holes to run sutures through.

I was pro J&J band due to the other features it has until I saw it being placed surgically and after clutching my own port in horror and sympathy pain while watching the staple things grab a hunk of tissue, I went back to personally being pro Inamed. :smile:

Much of what J&J is saying (fewer slips, fewer erosions) really haven't been proven to be true yet. No LARGE long term studies have been done yet since the newer features make the band a bit newer. It's not exactly the same band as the Swedish were selling previously. So with the new features time will tell if the fewer erosions/slips are a sales pitch/theory, or simply true. I hope they are making progress in fewer complications, I hope their theories are correct, it would be another advancement in banding.

Pizzaman:

NukeChik, my doctor is probably about as cautious as they get. Both he and the hospital's dietitian gave me the same instructions. I'm guessing that the Realize band allows for quicker healing and transition.

My doc is conservative, 2 weeks of clears, 2 weeks of full liquids, 2 weeks of soft foods, then solids. The nutritionist follows the MD orders, she does not come up with her own orders for a post op diet. Her job is to show you how to follow your doctor's orders. So they are supposed to be giving you the same post op instructions.

Instead of stitching the port to the muscle fascia (the thick white stuff on the outside of the muscle), the REALIZE port has little anchors that curve out of the housing, through the fascia and back up into the housing. The Allergan Lap Band is stitched to the muscle fascia. Some people think there is less discomfort associated with the REALIZE port anchoring because it doesn't have the tension associated with stitches. It is too early to tell if there is any significant difference in post-op discomfort. Once it heals, however, I think both ports feel about the same.

I am scheduled to have my Realize Band placed on Feb 5th. My doctor is also a proctor. He pretty much agrees with you Dr Watkins, they are very similar, there are slight differences in the placement, and the only thing that i will notice is the very cool website. He did say that they loo different on X-ray, but hey how would I know what I'm looking at. And really do I want to look at it, as long as it is working the way it is supposed to work, I'll be a happy camper.

The website has a tracker, a journal with photo feature, a forum that other Realize patients can chat, you can set goals, link to your Dr and all kinds of good stuff.

OK, I'm done. :cool:

Patti

Thanks for the explanation Dr. Watkins.:lol:

WASa,...priceless description!! You do have a way with those complicated medical terms.:faint2: I think I will stick with the Inamed !:mad: