Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m on my pre op

Im new on this app. Im 47 years old and have gained a lot of weight. I had tried soooo many diets and every week was always the beginning of a new diet. I tried so hard to get myself mentally focused on dieting but it was so hard and hard to get the motivation to do it. So about 3 weeks I was at 290 the biggest I have ever been in my life. I had already seen the a doctor about doing surgery. Which I feel like it was my last solution. But TBH I feel like I’m also taking the easy way out. Does anyone feel like that????

Anyhow so two weeks ago I started my pre op. And it’s been so hard just having one meal a day and the other two meals are replaced by a shake. I also get two Snacks but It’ sucks. Surgery is June 13th. My insurance approved my surgery too. Which is the great part of it all. I been approved. As I been counting down my days I’m getting more nervous about surgery and I now been losing weight I’m down today at 276. Doctor wants me to be at 270 so I got 10 days to go.

I don’t want to mess anything up for surgery but I’m hungry and I been reading some of these posting about afterwards. Some seem scary. But I do hope for the best.

Anyone doing surgery this month?
How is your pre op going?

six months after surgery (or even two months after surgery), ask yourself if you still feel it's the easy way out (or seven years after surgery - which is where I'm at at the moment...)

Assume you are right and it is the easy way out. Have you been successful with the other methods available to you like diet and exercise? If not then you would not be considering the surgery. It is clearly not an easy process because if it was, then people would not struggle with it or even fail at it even though they have had surgery.

The surgery is the first step, or the first tool in your toolbox. If you are not mentally and physically committed to achieve success, you will not be successful. The mental part is probably the most difficult part of it all. You have to commit yourself to thinking differently about eating and food. You have to be willing to eat small portions and be able to go slow and know when enough it enough. You have to be able to recognize when you are full and STOP. You have to be committed to measuring and tracking your food regardless of whether you have had the surgery or not. It is a very detailed process that you have to be willing to go through.

You have to be able to understand that you cannot sit and eat a whole pizza or slam down a bag of chips or eat at parties like you once did. You can do it but then you will get sick or end up expanding your stomach again which defeats the purpose.

Easy way out? No....it is hard work and you have to understand it is hard work or you will not be a success.

Im new on this app. Im 47 years old and have gained a lot of weight. I had tried soooo many diets and every week was always the beginning of a new diet. I tried so hard to get myself mentally focused on dieting but it was so hard and hard to get the motivation to do it. So about 3 weeks I was at 290 the biggest I have ever been in my life. I had already seen the a doctor about doing surgery. Which I feel like it was my last solution. But TBH I feel like I’m also taking the easy way out. Does anyone feel like that????

Anyhow so two weeks ago I started my pre op. And it’s been so hard just having one meal a day and the other two meals are replaced by a shake. I also get two Snacks but It’ sucks. Surgery is June 13th. My insurance approved my surgery too. Which is the great part of it all. I been approved. As I been counting down my days I’m getting more nervous about surgery and I now been losing weight I’m down today at 276. Doctor wants me to be at 270 so I got 10 days to go.

I don’t want to mess anything up for surgery but I’m hungry and I been reading some of these posting about afterwards. Some seem scary. But I do hope for the best.

Anyone doing surgery this month?
How is your pre op going?

I, too, felt I was taking the 'easy way out'. The truth is though, it's not easy. Bariatric surgery is a tool to help with weight loss. If you don't properly use the tool, you're still going to gain weight.

Putting your body through all the prep, damage, and recovery is a lot of work. Following the Post-Op lifestyle is a lot of work. It's all work from start to finish. This isn't easy in no way, shape, or form.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you guys for the feed back. I imagine after surgery will be Hard I already see that now. I been strict now and getting all my practice in before the real deal.

Hoping to be a success story.

The surgery is just a tool much like buying a gym membership. If you don’t use it & take advantage of the benefits it provides nothing will change.

With your other diets, did you do what we call the head work:

• identify why you ate & what was behind your cravings
  • reflect on how you ate, when you ate
  • examine the food choices you made, the portion sizes, the nutritional benefits?

Or did you just go back to eating the same way you always did when you finished a diet? I certainly did.

The surgery affords you time & for a while the physical restrictions to really look into the whys, hows, whats, whens, etc. about your eating. It provides an opportunity to consider your food choices, look for food alternatives, alternative ingredients or healthier methods of cooking them.

The first months can be challenging. The staged return to eating to support the healing process & working out the nutritional benefits of your food to ensure you reach nutritional goals. You are relearning everything you thought you knew about food & how you eat & learning what you & your body actually needs to function. You’ll also listen more to your body & the real cure & signals it gives you about food & eating. Again something you likely never did before.

It may seem scary at first, but in time all this just becomes what you do & how you eat.

All this is why it’s not the easy way & why you can be more successful with the surgery than any other program you may have tried. But it has to be a conscious decision & you have to be dedicated to the process. Embrace this opportunity.

All the best.

On 06/03/2022 at 00:18, Arabesque said:

The surgery is just a tool much like buying a gym membership. If you don’t use it & take advantage of the benefits it provides nothing will change.

With your other diets, did you do what we call the head work:

• identify why you ate & what was behind your cravings

• reflect on how you ate, when you ate

• examine the food choices you made, the portion sizes, the nutritional benefits?

Or did you just go back to eating the same way you always did when you finished a diet? I certainly did.

The surgery affords you time & for a while the physical restrictions to really look into the whys, hows, whats, whens, etc. about your eating. It provides an opportunity to consider your food choices, look for food alternatives, alternative ingredients or healthier methods of cooking them.

The first months can be challenging. The staged return to eating to support the healing process & working out the nutritional benefits of your food to ensure you reach nutritional goals. You are relearning everything you thought you knew about food & how you eat & learning what you & your body actually needs to function. You’ll also listen more to your body & the real cure & signals it gives you about food & eating. Again something you likely never did before.

It may seem scary at first, but in time all this just becomes what you do & how you eat.

All this is why it’s not the easy way & why you can be more successful with the surgery than any other program you may have tried. But it has to be a conscious decision & you have to be dedicated to the process. Embrace this opportunity.

All the best.

Thank u for the information.

10 years ago I lost 110 pounds so I truly know what I have to do about my eating. But you right I gotta take this as a tool and start anew. With a new stomach and losing the weight I need to and eating right and go on the right path.

I do truly hope for the best.