Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling depressed after gaining weight :) looking for support

Hi everybody!

I had my surgery (Gastric sleeve) on 01/08/18. Everything went well, I was 245 lb and i went down to 128 lb. I was feeling so good, so healthy, so happy....

I got married and my life was perfectly fine!

Last year, in October I found out I was pregnant... Unfortunately on December i had a miscarriage. During my short pregnancy I had to be fully in bed.

I gained 30 pounds! and now I can't go back to my normal weight. I am feeling so depressed, my doctor said that he can't help me because he only help with surgeries.

so, I don't know what I can do! I am eating healthy, working out... drinking water....

Can someone help me? I am so depressed.... sad... without help :(

43 minutes ago, Gretchel Z said:

Hi everybody!

I had my surgery (Gastric sleeve) on 01/08/18. Everything went well, I was 245 lb and i went down to 128 lb. I was feeling so good, so healthy, so happy....

I got married and my life was perfectly fine!

Last year, in October I found out I was pregnant... Unfortunately on December i had a miscarriage. During my short pregnancy I had to be fully in bed.

I gained 30 pounds! and now I can't go back to my normal weight. I am feeling so depressed, my doctor said that he can't help me because he only help with surgeries.

so, I don't know what I can do! I am eating healthy, working out... drinking water....

Can someone help me? I am so depressed.... sad... without help :(

Maybe do a reset. Your tool is still there and will still work, but it may need a reboot (like a computer) to kind of remember what it's supposed to be doing. I would try doing 3 or 4 days in each stage of the post op diet, to kind of jump start everything. Then go back to eating smaller portions and watching what those portions are of. Also, have you reached out to your nutritionist? Surgeons really can't help with the diet, he's right. But you should still have access to your nutritionist who can really help you get back to where you want to be.

I second speaking to your nutritionist. I assume you will have to pay since it’s been a while but it should be worth it. I would log what you have been eating for a week or two first so she can tell you where to make changes. I do see people on here do it so it can be done.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Gretchel, that's so sad for you and your husband.

It sounds like you did really well after your surgery and you can definitely do that again now.

When you say eating healthy do you mean that you are tracking all your macros/everything you eat? Are you eating Protein first at all meals, followed by veg and then if you have room a small amount of carbs? Are you avoiding drinking for half an hour before eating and at least half an hour afterwards? If not it might be worth going back to absolute basics. If you've been in maintenance for a long time you might have got used to eating differently. Some people here have got back on track after much bigger gains than 30lbs @GradyCat and others - good on you for nipping this in the bud. You have done so well before, you can SO do that again. Best of luck. :99_muscle:

I’m remembering what it felt like when I miscarried. I felt like it was my fault. I felt like my body betrayed me. I felt alone because it wasn’t something you could talk about. I’m glad you said something, and I’m sorry for your loss. It wasn’t your fault, medically the offspring wasn’t viable, usually it’s chromosomal. Your body didn’t betray you, it was telling you something was wrong. As you move through your grief, I hope it brings you and your husband and family together. Treat yourself well and don’t be afraid of taking a deep reflection of your life choices. I found making small healthy goals to be helpful like brushing my teeth more, going to sleep earlier, and training for a 5k, then half marathon. Use all the healthy ritualistic habits in your back pocket, like drinking Water all day or, regular prayer/meditation whatever that looks like for you. Eventually you will feel ready to tackle bigger goals like weight loss, a new career, to give meaning to the “why” of your loss. My deepest sympathies-Meg

I totally feel your pain. I weighed 194 pounds when I had the sleeve done in May 2017. I lost all my extra weight within the first year and kept it off until Covid. I have regained all that I lost and then some. I weigh 225 pounds now. I have gained 100 pounds! I am so embarrassed by it that I refuse to visit family or friends.